Spoof Store?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
So, I was thinking about a folding Lewmar cockpit wheel. I checked a couple of sources (including this one and others).
However, I came across the Lewmar Outlet Store while Googling. It said it was the Lewmar Factory Store. I checked it and purchased it there with the enticement of free shipping. A week later, I followed up to see what the status was. Oops! In small print, I saw that it was "..an Independent Retailer..." So, I did some more looking and found the Google search results essentially lead you to believe it was the authorized or factory outlet store for Lewmar. And, the site sure did look like it. https://lewmar.factoryoutletstore.c...GW9kWW8xFmEHT4C2WTU-oUsio_oMUzIYaAg6GEALw_wcB

So, today I read the reviews which were really awful and I got a bit of a pucker, while appreciating satisfied purchasers are rarely writing happy reviews. I went on line and asked them to cancel. They put in a cancel order (or said so). If I get the wheel and it's OK, I have nothing to complain about except perhaps for what sure looks like a spoofed site. If I get a cancellation and refund, that's appropriate too. It certainly isn't fair for SBO or other retailers who make it clear that they are retailers. Anyhow, be more aware than I was when shopping.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
factory outlet store is an independent company; they sell a lot of gps gear, shavers, and who knows what... Their ads are really deceptive, and unless you really dig down you'd think they are the factory store. They've been OK to deal with (my limited experience), but there are better choices

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
A formal complaint to Lewmar may in order, too.
Thing is, Lewmar used to run their own "outlet" store. They would advertise things like dealer-returned hatches with a small shipping ding that could no longer be sold at regular retail.
Sort of like the "open box" products with full warranty that one can buy direct from Apple (which I have also done in the past).
In the 90's I bought a new size 70 Ocean series hatch from that Lewmar outlet (actually their warehouse location in CT, if I recall correctly) for about $300. and saved over half off of the best discount price I could find on a new one at the time. The box had shipping tape all over (!) it and labels from some boat dealer in the mid west. I was delighted with the deal. The ding was dime-size and you can not see it unless pointed out.

Nowadays, some bright spark @ Lewmar is moving parts out at 20 cents on the dollar, and has bamboozled upper management into thinking that this wholesale churning is somehow good for the company.

A look at the referenced web site confirms that they are skating just above the legal line drawn above 'bait and switch'. :(

So do complain to Lewmar. Might help; can't hurt.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
If you fear the integrity of the site I'd be all over my bank to cancel the credit card transaction, not merely sit back and wait.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Many manufacturers today have strictly enforced MAP pricing. For example if we are caught advertising Garmin etc., to our customers, at less than MAP, we lose our dealer status.

The reason for this is pretty simple. It's because they have been losing legitimate dealers, the ones who actually support and grow the product line, right an left to companies who are content to make 1-2% per sale and then attempt to make it up on volume. Of course with retailers like that, you may get lucky, perhaps not, it could be gray market with no warranty, but you also get zero customer service.

If a price is out-of-line with legitimate retailers that is your first clue the company is not playing by the rules. Make sure you cancel that payment through the credit card company, not just the retailer.

PM me and let me know what wheel you want...

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
OK, they followed through with a cancellation and refund. So, I have nothing to complain about. It was just a concern when I saw this elaborate site for what appeared to be a legitimate Lewmar store. Maybe too clever by one click.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Hello Rick, if you are still interested in a Lewmar wheel I can help as I have accounts with several suppliers. Let me know what size and I can get back to you with a price. You can send me a private message if interested.

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 450 Gulfport, Florida
sort of like the documentation site that pretends it is the Coast Guard, I know of a few that got suckered in.