Go big or go small?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I've been waiting nearly three months for this marine mechanic to replace the water pump on my OMC sail drive. At this point I don't have time to dive in and do it myself so I figured I'd slap an outboard on the back so I can splash sooner.

I have it narrowed to two choices for my O'Day 25. Both have electric start
  • 9.9 Saildrive - It's very well used. Owner states that the water pump needs to be replaced but as far as he knows it's not over heating. Idle is a bit rough. He claims its been a very reliable over the past ten years. He's selling it for $300
  • 20hp Spirit - I believe this is a Suzuki motor. The graphics on the cowling are ugly but this thing is very clean. It's cleaner inside than the engine of my newish car. Has some sort of bracket to use it as a trolling motor?? Includes a tank and hose. Owner is asking $450 OBO
I know that the transom on the O'Day technically isnt made to handle a 20hp motor but I can install some extra wood back there when I install the mount. My other concern is weight. How hard is it going to be to lift this motor up and down? I'm considering the new motor as a backup.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Well, I power my 25 foot, 5300 pound disp dry, around 7,000 with full cruising load, with an 8 HP and usually run it at 1/2 half throttle and get hull speed Personally I'll state that a 20 hp is FAR overkill . I'd go for the 9.9.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'm at the point where I just want things to work since I have other fiberglass projects going on right now. I figured I'd glass a 2x12 across the length of the transom. As a reference, the saildrive is 15hp

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Um, if you have time to glass a 2x12 across the length of the transom, how long do you think it would take to replace the water pump on your engine? I replaced mine in about an hour. Or just find another mechanic.
Are the outboards you are looking at long shaft? Having the prop pop out of the water punching into waves isn't much fun.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Both are long shafts. Paul over at Klauss marine (who is the only person in the world making ISO rings for saildrives) said this was a four hour job for him. The first time doing this job would probably take me eight hours. The boat is 1.5 hours away.
The first local mechanic saw someone used RTV on my engine and walked away after I waited a month. The second mechanic was recommended by the marina but now he can't even tell me when he would be able to get to it after I waited for him for six weeks. The marina is going to start charging if I don't get it out by the end of the month.

I can coat a 2x12 in resin at my shop that's 20 mins from home. From there I'd lightly sand the bilge paint from the transom, test fit it, make adjustments if needed, add a few shims to account for the curve and then apply tabbing. Fiberglass work is less likely to have surprises pop up. The girlfriend likes doing fiberglass work (but so far has refused to stick her head in the lazarette)

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The 9.9 will be plenty powerful enough. The weight and extra power in the 20 will cause more problems. The 20 hp engine will not push the boat faster than hull speed and will not be run at much more than a fast idle. Torque may also be an issue.

Am I correct to assume the water pump for the inboard is in the sail drive unit and not mounted on the engine? If it is on the engine it should be a fairly simple job and less time consuming that glassing in support, mounting the outboard bracket and changing a water pump.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Find another option. If that 20 HP weighs more than 80 lbs. it is likely too heavy for the boat.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Not from a which is right for the boat standpoint but from a "used motor" standpoint here are some thoughts. The 9.9 sounds like a "pig in a poke". How well do you know the seller? You said it runs rough, needs a water pump (why) but as far as he can tell it doesn't overheat? Why does it run rough? Does it need a new carb or some other part you'll have to get replaced to make it run correctly. If it doesn't overheat why does it need a new water pump? How soon do you have to have it out of the marina and how much time do you have to fiddle with a "maybe working" motor? You probably don't want to get underway and then find it stall out on you so you'll want to get it in reliable running order before you cast off. Can you test either one of them in a drum of water? How good are you at working on small outboards? I assume the 20 hp is $450 OBO not $4500. Buying a used outboard that you haven't seen running under load could just set you back not only money but time. Seems like finding a mechanic to fix the water pump you have is a better idea even if you have to slip him an extra $100 to put you up on the list or hire him "off hours" from his regular employer.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have a Hunter 26 and I just two weeks ago, changed out a Honda 9.9 for a Tohatsu 6 sail pro. I found the 9.9 to be more engine than I needed.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
If you are running out of time and have too many projects why take on another motor project? Buy a new motor, I've already recommended a vendor and one to you before so I won't repeat, but @rgranger already got it right.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The truth of the matter is that I only saw my saildrive run once, out of the water for about a minute. It ran well considering it hadn't been started in quite a while but I don't know if the water pump is totally destroyed. I also don't know if it will die on me when I'm in the marina or the river leading to Lake Michigan. There's a lot of opportunities for Murphy's Law to come into effect in the first 40 minutes after launch.

I don't know either seller. The seller of the 9.9 said that the stream is weak and sometimes needs a bit of gas to idle.The 20hp seller said he just rebuilt the carb and it runs great. That motor has had a sheltered life as the paint looks brand new in most places. Both sellers said they'd be happy to test them in a tank.

My saildrive's water pump needs to be replaced when the boat is out of the water. Parts aren't easy to for this motor so if I run into issues it will set me back even more. If anyone knows of someone that can work on this motor in the Michigan City area that won't give me a run around I'm all ears.

I'm strapped for time. Right now I'm only able to make it out to the boat once a week and the boat needs to be out by the end of the month.

I've already recommended a vendor
This is your first post in this thread. Did you recommend a vendor in another thread?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I had a Yamaha 9.9 on my O’day 25. Felt it was a good size for bay sailing in chop and winds.
I recommend an extra long shaft so the motor head is high enough for you to reach it while still having the prop low enough in the water.
Sounds like a better motor is worth the cost considering the uncertainty of the sail drive.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
John's right about eliminating stress. If you buy one of the motors that you have mentioned, I'd bet we will be reading a new thread from you about outboard maintenance and repair and we'll be another week closer to your deadline. Your name seems to be a good fit, though. I'll give you that! ;);) The 20 HP is a bad choice for your boat. Don't make that mistake. If the 9.9 can be fixed by the seller (or his mechanic), then it might be worthwhile. Simplify your life, don't try to shoehorn a bad solution to make matters worse!

Considering that you think it will ultimately be a back-up, I'd get a new 4 or 3.5 HP and limp along on that until you ultimately use it for a dinghy.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I think I'll get my saildrive in a bucket of water and give it a good test. Perhaps the water pump is in good enough shape to last till the end of the season. It's lasted 10+ years so far :yikes:

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Mayhem, I urge you to consider putting a water pump in that saildrive. It is very simple to do, I’ve done it about five or six times now. It only takes 4 wrenches, a 7/16, a half inch, a 9/16, and a three eights inch. And a flat head screwdriver. Just take the powerhead off, and put the new impeller in. It really is that easy..

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I'd fix the saildrive. Why throw away what may be a perfectly acceptable engine to add a questionable one that also diminishes the value of your boat. Adding a small lightweight (2 to 3 horsepower) outboard can be good and you can move it on a dink if you want. It can also get you home in a pinch. Last summer I pushed our Hunter 30 home 17 nautical miles with our 2 HP Honda dinghy motor. It did take some time however until the wind finally came up and helped us along.

Ken

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
the guy next to me pulled his disabled 6000 # 27 footer with a kayak to the travelift when his engine was overheating. he steered the boat. his wife manned the kayak. i watched in astonishment.