Survey Cost

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
Can anyone give me a ballpark idea on the cost to have a 41DS 2006 Hunter Sailboat surveyed? And how long should it take to complete?

I know that it will be taken out of the water to have the bottom checked. Not sure or certain what else is detailed in a survey, but I'm wanting this boat to be checked from head to toe.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
a survey runs $14-16 a foot where we are. I would think your area, would be a bit more. Then add short haul and hang time. 4-6 hours for the survey, if he is familiar with the boat maker he is looking at. Rigging, engine, peripherals (zodiac, solar panels, etc) and appliances survey is extra, if wanted and usually by an "expert" in that trade.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here are some Ideas...
SHELL POINT MARINA Travel Lift
Survey Lift use for boats 40+ foot length overall: $350
Now for the Surveyor SWAG - $1000
Arlen Leiner Accredited Marine Surveyor and Master Marine Surveyor
http://www.aacmarinesurveyor.com/faqs.php
Q: How much does marine inspection cost?
A:
We are the cheapest insurance you can get. Many times, what we find will lead to a reduction in price that is much lower than our fees. So to answer the question – we are not the cheapest surveyor, but we are the most comprehensive, and our prices are very competitive. In the long run, the couple hundred dollars that you think you are saving by going with a cheaper service, you end up losing.​

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
In my experience, that's about a $900 survey, plus in and out yard fees.

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
Thank you everyone that gives me a good idea of what I'm going to have to pay out.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yeah about a boat buck for a 41' boat. BTW it's not an airtight guarantee that everything's OK. The reports are usually written with many disclaimers for this or that. You need a survey for insurance, and I expect the funding company would require one, so you'll have to have one anyway. You might as well see what comes up and you might be able to beat down the seller a bit with insufficiencies. When I sold my 356 I had to do a couple of things based on the survey. It's just part of it.
I just sold a building and bought a house - so I'm a bit jaded. Everyone gets to stick a straw in my bank account and suck at will. I'm done - fork in me. Pick the tender cuts.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
a survey runs $14-16 a foot where we are.
About what we paid in our area. Typically, a certified marine surveyor will do a deck first while in the water followed by a hull out of the water survey. Ours inventoried and tested all the systems on our boat to verify they worked, were in reasonable condition, or were operational. That included all through hull valves, water intrusion/damage, safety equipment, propulsion system, bilge pumps, etc. Most do not certify the engine, spar, rigging and related gear due to a different level of certification knowledge that most marine surveyors will not cover. Insurance Companies are more interested in hull integrity, things that might cause the boat to sink or result in major repairs. It all boils down to risk.

Unsure what you mean by having it checked from head to toe. Spar and rigging inspection may require that you drop the spar and hire a different surveyor. Ditto the engine and transmission. When we purchased our 1991 model in 2002, I skipped the engine, spar and rigging. The Surveyor did check all deck level rigging, engine working (635 hours), Genset working (260 hours), etc.

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
About what we paid in our area. Typically, a certified marine surveyor will do a deck first while in the water followed by a hull out of the water survey. Ours inventoried and tested all the systems on our boat to verify they worked, were in reasonable condition, or were operational. That included all through hull valves, water intrusion/damage, safety equipment, propulsion system, bilge pumps, etc. Most do not certify the engine, spar, rigging and related gear due to a different level of certification knowledge that most marine surveyors will not cover. Insurance Companies are more interested in hull integrity, things that might cause the boat to sink or result in major repairs. It all boils down to risk.

Unsure what you mean by having it checked from head to toe. Spar and rigging inspection may require that you drop the spar and hire a different surveyor. Ditto the engine and transmission. When we purchased our 1991 model in 2002, I skipped the engine, spar and rigging. The Surveyor did check all deck level rigging, engine working (635 hours), Genset working (260 hours), etc.
Terry,

More or less having it checked over very well. It's not a brand new boat and certain there will be issues. I'm just wanting the minor issues to pop up not the tens of thousands of dollar ones.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
The guy we used told us up front if he saw anything in the first hour or so that looked serious he'd let us know before going further, and if we wanted the survey ended then,he'd do so at no cost to us. Can't get much better then that.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
More or less having it checked over very well.
Please let us know the outcome. Hunter did a good job building their boats. Yours should be a good one, too. Our surveyor turned up a few minor problems that most were fixed as a condition of sale. Two frozen through hull valves was the biggest. Another was a failed heat pump compressor that the PO had in the shop for repairs. Others I repaired myself, such as outdated fire extinguishers (replaced), loose engine belt (adjusted), defective DC amp gauge (replaced) and the potable water pump cycling (loose fitting). All in all the surveyor gave very high marks for the boat's lightly used condition.

After taking possession I fixed a plugged holding tank vent and had the freezer system recharged. Most everything on the boat is original, still working and doing the job intended after cruising several thousand miles all over PNW waters. Hunter did a great job building our boat. She can be a handful at times, but during our several extended two month cruises we have many pleasure filled experiences. Please share yours with us.