Prop Removal

Aug 4, 2015
Catalina 30 Gibralter Boat Yard
I am replacing the prop on my '73 Catalina 30. I believe it has the original 2 blade prop from Grand Rapids MI. Castle nut is loose (but left on for safety), I tried to use a 3 jaw gear puller while heating the hub with a MAP gas torch. I feel I put significant pressure with the puller (to the point where I was a bit nervous about stored energy) but the prop would not pop off. I have a brass shaft and I have been warned about the possibility of bending the end of the shaft.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to the prop I purchased for replacement.
http://www.atomic4.com/propeller.html

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I suspect most of us have enjoyed the suspense in removing a prop. Sometimes all three tricks are required simultaneously - heat, a prop puller and gentle persuasion with a hammer.

The unmistakable sound of one finally releasing against the retainingnut usually draws applause from the marina.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Make sure you leave the nut on so that when it does pop is does not go flying off the end. I would think that as long as you have the puller centered it would not bend the shaft.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
You are not going to bend the end of the shaft, no matter how hard you try. A gear puller is not the right tool for the job but if it's all you have- put it on, tension the holy hell out of it and leave it sit overnight if you have to. As mentioned previously, a small sledge is also a good persuader.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
I was able to get the prop to release with a tap on the end of the shaft with a hammer - not a hard heavy sledge, just a regular hammer and one or two taps it popped free. You don't want to hit it too hard, just a couple of taps should make it come free.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Tighten it up tight, tap end of shaft with a hammer (not hard). I bet she pops off.

Greg

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
The hammer taps should be on the side of the prop, not like you were trying to drive the prop off the shaft with the hammer. If you smack the forward face of the prop all that force will be transmitted to the transmission, possibly damaging it's bearings. A sideways impact on the side of the prop will help free it.
Correct on leaving one of the nuts on the shaft so it won't fly off. The first time I helped someone pull a shaft we put as much force on the puller as we could then walked away to do something else. Then we heard a loud bang and found the prop and puller on the ground and a big dent in the side of the metal storage building three feet behind the boat. There's a lot of stored energy in a tensioned prop puller. Don't stand behind it.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Have removed many props for other people , 1) use a strong back(bearing separator) on the back side of prop and 2) a rigid beam puller with threaded rod going into strong back. Apply pressure ,then using torch heat prop in one area ,do not move around it will pop. Most people start moving the torch all around ,the trick is to stay in one spot. You are more likely to mushroom over the end of the shaft ,then bending it .

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My prop was put on in 1974. It came off with some gentle taps with a hammer in 2018. A loose castle nut is your friend if you want to save the old prop.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I’m another guy that has done this sort of thing a lot of times. Unlike the previous guy in post #8, I’m one of the guys who moves the torch around & tries to hear the whole part. That has worked for me. I never tried it his way, so I can’t make a comparison.

My standard MO is this:

First look to see what materials you are dealing with. Most brass alloys expand roughly twice as much as most steel alloys when heated, so if you have a brass prop on a stainless shaft, then heat is your friend. If you have a stainless prop on a bronze shaft, then cold is your friend (think dry ice).

I always apply penetrating oil for at least an hour or two before starting removal. If the unit was in salt water, I will hit it with warm soapy water first, & then get it dry before applying the penetrating oil. Kroil is my favorite if heavy corrosion is not present. If it is rusted up, then I use Bust Rust. Another old favorite is ATF with a bit of acetone mixed in.

Now the prep work is done & it’s time to play ball. Getting tension from a gear puller type gizmo is a great start. Sometimes you get lucky & this does the job by itself. Step 2 is heat or cold, depending on the materials present. When I go to the hammer (step 3) I either hit it from the side or gently hammer on the head of the puller screw that is planted into the center of the shaft. I am not trying to hammer the part free. I am just trying to get the parts to ring. When the parts are under heavy pressure from the puller, the vibration of the ringing is what eventually breaks the taper lock grip. Sometimes it takes a minute or two. If I am 5 minutes into ringing it & the parts haven’t separated, then I soak the parts in dry ice for half an hour, followed by quickly heating the female part with 2 torches so that the female is forced to expand before the heat gets to the male part in the center. I had only one experience where I had to do this twice to get the parts to separate. Every other time, it worked on the first go-round. If it wasn’t such a pain in the neck to get dry ice, I would use this method more often. Dry ice is much colder than regular ice. It works really well. It can also be a little dangerous to handle. Wear gloves & have proper ventilation.

At any point in time in this process, the parts may pop apart, so be prepared. You never know when it's going to happen. & as has already been said, the parts can come apart with a dangerous amount of force.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2015
Catalina 30 Gibralter Boat Yard
Thanks for all the replies.
Got it to pop off!
Used gear puller to put tension on, heated for several minutes with torch where the key sits (the thinnest point), after the third tap with the hammer the gear puller fell off (guess it wasn't as tight as I thought), two more taps and the bell rang.