Raising L'eau Blow

Apr 24, 2019
Boston Whaler 5.1 Indianapolis
I have a 600lb day sailer (Boston Whaler 5.1) on a one axle trailer. I had it up on blocks/wheels off, and during a high wind, for the first time in 28n yrs it was blown off its blocks. The rear axle/wheel bases are in the dirt. I tried to use 2 jacks to raise it w/o putting too much pressure on either wheel/axle. The jacks were on either side of the trailer, amidships and succeeded in raising not the rear, but the front. Putting the jacks further aft is problematic as the trailer is scratching the dirt. I'm thinking of jacking up the rear of the boat perhaps with a piece of plywood to distribute the load after unstrapping the boat from the trailer. Then jacking the rear of the trailer out of the mud.What could possibly go wrong. 5 strong men could work, but I'm not one (75 with sciatica) and I don't know 5 strong men (or weak ones for that matter). Ideas? Picture upon request

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I have a 600lb day sailer (Boston Whaler 5.1) on a one axle trailer. I had it up on blocks/wheels off, and during a high wind, for the first time in 28n yrs it was blown off its blocks. The rear axle/wheel bases are in the dirt. I tried to use 2 jacks to raise it w/o putting too much pressure on either wheel/axle. The jacks were on either side amidships and succeeded in raising not the rear, but the front. Putting the jacks further aft is problematic as the trailer is scratching the dirt. I'm thinking of jacking up the rear of the boat perhaps with a piece of plywood to distribute the load after unstrapping the boat from the trailer. Then jacking the rear of the trailer out of thee mud.What could possibly go wrong. 5 strong men could work, but I'm not one (75 with sciatica) and I don't know 5 strong men (or weak ones for that matter. Ideas? Picture upon request
Hire some moving lumpers? Ask them to bring equipment, etc.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Do you have a tree nearby? I've lifted a boat off of a trailer for painting work by hanging a ratchet tow strap over a large oak branch and ratcheting the boat up. Once the ratchet fills with strap, you block off the boat, release the ratchet, clear the strap and start over. You can only get a few inches at a time but it is not hard work.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
How about lifting just one wheel with the jack then install one tire then do the same on the other side.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
agree with put a 2x4 under stern, jacking that up, blocking it and then jacking trailer. I've lifted several bigger boats that way

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
When I needed by 600 lb Bandit moved in my yard I drove around at lunchish time and found a landscaping crew lounging under a tree. A few words with the foreman and some $20’s and the boat was moved.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
When I needed by 600 lb Bandit moved in my yard I drove around at lunchish time and found a landscaping crew lounging under a tree. A few words with the foreman and some $20’s and the boat was moved.
There are few problems that money can't fix.:biggrin:

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Get yourself some large inner tubes and inflate them under the boat. Then put wood blocks under it and deflate the tubes. Build up the space under the boat with wood blocks and lay the deflated inner tubes on top. Inflate again. I’ve raised some amazingly heavy objects like this including RR cars.