Heated up over the exchanger..

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Looks like I'll be removing my heat exchanger to rod it out. Catalina apparently never took this into account when the C-34 was built. There is ZERO room and visibility around the engine to accomplish the task in place.
So my question to fellow C-34 owners with the M25 Universal : Have you relocated your exchanger, cut an access or other solutions?
I am considering adding quarter turn ball valves to isolate the unit and limit the loss of coolant.

Thanks for your input..

Rick

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Rick,

Engine Overheating 101 - How to Burp Your Engine (Reply #6) http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4518.msg26462.html#msg26462

I drain coolant that way, very easy.

Your concern about "Catalina failing to..." is completely misguided. I dare to you find any boat where that is possible.

Actually access to M25 and M35 series engine HXs is quite good.

My recommendation has always been to remove the HX for servicing at least once every two or three years. Why? 'Cuz often the tubes are just fine, but the inlet port gets clogged with salt where it precipitates out when the cold rw hits the hot HX.

If you haven't yet, please consider joining your fellow C34 skippers at https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/board,11.0.html as well as right here, I do both.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Rick,

Engine Overheating 101 - How to Burp Your Engine (Reply #6) http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4518.msg26462.html#msg26462

I drain coolant that way, very easy.

Your concern about "Catalina failing to..." is completely misguided. I dare to you find any boat where that is possible.

Actually access to M25 and M35 series engine HXs is quite good.

My recommendation has always been to remove the HX for servicing at least once every two or three years. Why? 'Cuz often the tubes are just fine, but the inlet port gets clogged with salt where it precipitates out when the cold rw hits the hot HX.

If you haven't yet, please consider joining your fellow C34 skippers at https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/board,11.0.html as well as right here, I do both.
Stu,

As with most owners of a 34 footer, this is not my first rodeo. This IS the first boat that I've owned that had heat exchanger access as limited as this boat. I'm not over heating "YET". This is a PM evolution. Marine life that is so small that it gets by 2 strainers, set up shop in the warn confines of the exchanger. Failure to address the occlusion will lead to the over heating. Smart phone video shows several tubes are already occluded.

In all of my previous boats, the spring ritual always included removing the end caps, inspecting and rodding out the tubes. I've replaced and altered exchangers that had only one end cap.

I'm starting my 3rd season with this boat and not happy that I've not attacked this issue before now.

Your dare has been accepted and parried..

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
How did you use your smart phone to check the HX?
Turned on the camera in video, activated the flash and slowly circled the ends after the caps were removed. There is about 4" on either side. Enough for a thin phone not so good for a large hand.. Tried mirror and light.. Angles with the limited space not conducive..

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Rick,
Thanks for more information than your first post.
Accepted and parried?
Hardly.
What boats were they? Why not say?
This is not my first rodeo either, and I've owned my C34 for 21 years. In all of that time, in Mainsheet magazine and on the C34 forum, I must admit to never ever once hearing this "complaint."
Nor do I recall folks here or on the few other boating forums I frequent daily ever talk about rodding their HXs in situ on other boats, Catalinas or others.
No reason to doubt you at all, just must indicate my very limited exposure and lack of knowledge.
Sorry it's such a disappointment to you.
At least they put the door in for easy access to the oil dipstick. :)

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Turned on the camera in video, activated the flash and slowly circled the ends after the caps were removed. There is about 4" on either side. Enough for a thin phone not so good for a large hand.. Tried mirror and light.. Angles with the limited space not conducive..
I thought you had some new technology to see inside without opening the ends.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Stu,
Previous boats: Venture 24, Hunter 27, O'Day 272, O,28, & Bristol 32 . That equates to 2 Westerbekes, 2 Universals, one Reneault and a Mariner. This Catalina is the only one not not provide adequate HE access. It's off and rodded out now. About 60% ish occluded. Now to relocate it and change out the feed hoses.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Was the build-up near the ends of the tubes or through out the exchanger? It sounds like this is the first time you’ve done this for this boat. Had you tried a flush before removing the HX? Several years ago while having work done on the generator, I had the HX removed and there was zero salt in the tubes. It would be interesting to study the effects of the build-up on lightly used vessels compared to those used every day.

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
I don’t know if it’s going to be a very much help, but I have a hunter 28.5 and had to rebuild the heat exchanger last year due to an antifreeze leak. It was also very tight to get into. Rather than trying to do it all from the front, I removed the back board (not easy) which allowed access to the rear of the engine from the rear berth. Made the job so much easier.

Trouble was, after replacing all the heat exchanger gaskets and cleaning up the cooling system, it still leaked. I put in som Barr’s Stop Leak and the leak went away...

Mike

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I don’t know if it’s going to be a very much help, but I have a hunter 28.5 and had to rebuild the heat exchanger last year due to an antifreeze leak. It was also very tight to get into. Rather than trying to do it all from the front, I removed the back board (not easy) which allowed access to the rear of the engine from the rear berth. Made the job so much easier.

Trouble was, after replacing all the heat exchanger gaskets and cleaning up the cooling system, it still leaked. I put in som Barr’s Stop Leak and the leak went away...

Mike
Mike, I appreciate your response. Unfortunately the access around this engine is the least of any boat I've owned or worked on. Directly in vertical interference is a fiberglass reinforcement arch. It perfectly splits an imaginary fore and aft line through the exchanger. There are solid bulkheads on port & stbd. I may be able to cut and access on either side of the arch. Awaiting reply from Catalina folks in FLA.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Was the build-up near the ends of the tubes or through out the exchanger? It sounds like this is the first time you’ve done this for this boat. Had you tried a flush before removing the HX? Several years ago while having work done on the generator, I had the HX removed and there was zero salt in the tubes. It would be interesting to study the effects of the build-up on lightly used vessels compared to those used every day.
Build up in the tubes and in the end pockets. Yes, this is the first time servicing. The HE was new the year we acquired. Tried to rod out with a coat hanger last spring without any luck.. I knew I had to do something this year.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
UPDATE... As mentioned in a reply, had about 60% occlusion in the HE.. Spent some time looking for a new spot to mount that would allow access.. NOPE, so it's back in it's mount and a new access hatch added..

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
My advice: Rodding it out is only a partial solution. Have it ultrasonically cleaned at a radiator shop. You can't clean it as well with brushes without risking damaging the metal and or taking a ton of time. Don't use acid because it might cause other problems.