Prop Shaft Flange Removal

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Best topic ever because I'm sure everybody and anybody who's done this, or attempted to do this has blasphemed to the point where we are all going to hell!!

I've been working on this for a couple of weeks now. It just won't budge. Tension, heat, and PB Blaster. So I'm trying a different approach. Engine is half way out and needs to be hoisted. Prop will come off and then the shaft can be pulled out by way of under the engine. While out a new cutlass bearing and then with the new stuffing box hose and fresh stuffing in place it will be reassembled. While the engine's out of the compartment, a good wire brushing, a coat of paint will happen and then put back.

Any suggestions of anything other tasks while this is happening?

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
Have the shaft checked.
If it were me, I'd cut the current shaft out and replace with one that has been professionally fitted and faced to the prop and the coupling.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Not easy to get out...

I refreshed my stuffing box hose, new shaft and coupling, painted the bilge under the shaft, replaced cutlass bearing and shaft zincs.

Went back together nicely...

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
I should add that I took the shaft out intact to see if it could be salvaged...

It could not...so I replaced it.

Greg

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
If you have the room, once the coupling is undone from the tranny, it is simple enough to use a 3-jaw gear puller and remove a sturdy coupling. Make sure the shaft is centered in the shaft tube so you can properly align it. Good luck

Attachments

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
To remove coupler unbolt the 2 coupling and socket the size of shaft in between the 2 coupling
and need long bolts with socket in between use long bolts to bolt couplings together and by tightening the bolts and drawing the 2 couplings together the socket will push the shaft out of coupling and may need to add heat to help and maybe also hit around coupling with hammer.
Nick

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
To remove coupler unbolt the 2 coupling and socket the size of shaft in between the 2 coupling
and need long bolts with socket in between use long bolts to bolt couplings together and by tightening the bolts and drawing the 2 couplings together the socket will push the shaft out of coupling and may need to add heat to help and maybe also hit around coupling with hammer.
Nick
Nick, I agree that the socket method can work but it is to be used with caution. Be aware that there might be undue pressure on the transmission itself caused by the effect of the overtightening often required to break the resistance of the shaft side coupling. And heating if done with an open flame is a no-no for reasons that are self-evident. Finally, you should never hit coupling with a hammer as it is almost always a sure way to damage the inside of the transmission ! Robert has also mentioned that the shaft will be coming out from inside after removing prop and lifting the engine. If indeed he does that, then gear puller, heat and hitting is not and issue !

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
A blast to the coupling with an electric heat gun (or a propane torch if you were VERY careful) would have made the removal MUCH easier.
Probably. I didn’t have electricity available, and I’m didn’t want to put a torch in there. Not much room as you could see and lots of hoses and other stuff in the way.

Greg

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet, so as I am not having any luck with either end, I have hired the marina, where the boat is, to pull the propeller off. Should happen this week. The rest should be easy now that the engine is out. Famous last words, right folks?