Sanitation Hose

jhagg

Sep 2, 2012
Hunter 44DS Frenchmans Bay
Hi All - just bought a new to me boat and I’ve noticed that the hose from the macerater to the thru- hull connection is a radiator type water hose.....I don’t think this is correct. There also is no vented loop, I think I may have to add one. Anyone completed this job recently and have some advice? Thanks!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
That hose needs to be sanitation hose...and yes, there should be a vented loop between the macerator pump and the thru-hull. However, if the macerator is installed high enough--at least as high the top of the tank--you can get away without one.
If you only ever want to do this job once, don't try to save money on the hose...spend the money for hose that's proven to be 100% odor permeation resistant. Raritan SaniFlex RaritanSaniFlex hose has been on the market about 10 years without a single reported odor permeation failure...and, it's so flexible it can be bent like a hairpin without kinking, making it a lot easier to use than other hose.
You're certain to have more questions about your sanitation system, and I'll be glad to answer 'em.

--Peggie

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
There also is no vented loop, I think I may have to add one
Peggie always has very sage advice to offer. However, Hunter built our boat without a vented loop between the macerator pump, which is at the same level as the top of the waste tank, and the through hull. The through hull valve always remains closed except when in use. If left open, sea water will seep in until the tank fills. Of course how would I know this?

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Just replaced my permeated sanitation hose over the winter on a 2009 H36 I bought last season, and completely did away with the also permeated macerator system and closed and capped the thru hull. Hunter didn't install a vented loop for the macerator either in my case, and in fact straight plumbed from the bottom of the holding tank to the macerator and from there to the thru hull. The macerator sat on the bottom of the stern locker, just like the holding tank. Not shocking it permeated. I sail in the Chesapeake bay, so will never use a macerator. I also found the macerator thru hull frozen OPEN when I bought the boat (which I fixed at haulout after reasonable tapping on the handle didn't work). However, I never had any backflow into my holding tank. Its interesting you do. Oh, and I took Peggy's advice and used the Raritan Saniflex, and it was every bit as easy to use as she says. Absolutely did not mind paying a little more for much better (and easier to install) sanitation hose!! Wrong place to skimp, in case anyone is thinking that way.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Buy Peggies book! I have a hard copy and keep a Kindle copy on the boat. Invaluable!