Replacing the "masthead" on our C22

Aug 11, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Dubay
Found a new masthead by contacting Catalina Yachts in Florida. When spring arrives here in northern Wisconsin, our first chore is to replace our masthead and this might not be as easy as it originally looked.
Has anyone out there done this and if so, any advise?

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
I haven't replaced mine, but I had it off over the weekend to rewire the anchor light. So far as I know, mine is standard (for an external-halyard boat). It's just attached by a single bolt, which also anchors the top shrouds (and in my case, also the anchor light and windex mount). Just snap a picture and get everything back the way it was.

Mounting or replacing the halyard sheaves is trickier. Not complex, it just seems to require more hands than it seems like it should.

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
Good advice and comments on the sheaves from Paddy. Taking picture is a good baseline plan. Have done similar a couple times when rewiring masthead lights and the spinnaker crane. Hope you're planning to do this with the stick in a horizontal position, not using a bosun's chair (that would be scary, if not suicidal). Pay attention to re-attaching the forestay in the correct location (there are two pin locations and complete PIA to change if not enough adjustment on the turnbuckle, and more so if you have a furler).

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Same here on an '88 model, it comes right off. It's so easy even I can do it.

If you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with the masthead that you have to replace it??

Aug 11, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Dubay
Thanks for the input! Yes, the stick will be in the horizontal position, guaranteed!
An area on the stern/port side of the masthead wh
ere the back stay is joined, looked damaged and was recommended that we replace it. When it was stored in the barn, we believe the owner rammed the masthead into the wall of the barn, as the bluetooth wind instrument was found laying on the barn floor.

Aug 31, 2011
Thanks for the input! Yes, the stick will be in the horizontal position, guaranteed!
An area on the stern/port side of the masthead wh
ere the back stay is joined, looked damaged and was recommended that we replace it. When it was stored in the barn, we believe the owner rammed the masthead into the wall of the barn, as the bluetooth wind instrument was found laying on the barn floor.
Bluetooth wind instrument ? Do you have details ? Model, photos, even of the once proud but now sadly destroyed unit ??

Aug 11, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Dubay
https://www.sailtimerwind.com
It is made in Nova Scotia, Halifax I believe. I had the first model, but the bluetooth was too weak to transmit from the top of the mast to "inside" of the cabin. You had to be viewing the iPad inside your cabin because one can not read the screen out in the daylight. The second update had a stronger signal, but you still needed to be inside to read the screen.
Nicely done and great data, both true and apparent wind. It also has great graphs of the wind speed over time. The latest model also has a feature that when taking the current wind direction into consideration, will show you the best course to your destination and the best tack...cool!
One more thing worth mentioning is the great customer service!

Aug 31, 2011
Nice unit. List price on their website is $550. Do-able (without need to bother the XO) but on a C-22 ? Need to think on that. I had been planning to use a wireless unit similar to one you would install at home (I have two) such as Accurite or Oregon Scientific. $100 or less. Maybe a little more bulky at masthead though. See if this can be slid through the budgetary oversight as a 'safety item'...

Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
I think stingysailor has a C22. Lots of good info on his website for any small sailboat.