prep before bottom paint

SLE

Nov 13, 2017
Hunter 36 Lake Champlain
Last fall I have bought a Hunter 36 2004. The bottom paint is falling into places. My surveyor said, scrape around the loose stuff and reapply a new coat....
It look like it was applied directly to the gelcoat, without sanding.
We are planing to sail it south next winter and I would not like to haul it out before one year. Here is a picture. What is the state of the art way to deal with this?
image.png

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Too much paint. You only get so many coats before it loses adhesion. You can rough up the peeled locations and patch it up for another day, or take off all the bottom paint and start over with new bottom coating/paint. 1st is a small job, 2nd is a big job.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Purchased our 1991 boat in 2002. Needed a bottom job and from the looks of it, the PO had used a blue hard bottom paint. The bottom had several coats of paint from previous years. Scraped a small amount of loose stuff off mostly around the waterline, feathered the edges of what had scrapped away, light sanded the entire bottom using the type that sheet rock installers use to level dry wall mud. What works for me is an articulating sanding pad on the end of a painter pole.

Used WM brand black ablative on sale. A 3/4" foam paint roller on the end of the painter pole works great. Applied three coats. That was in 2002. Did it again in 2004, not necessary, but did it anyway. Bottom in the same condition as 2002. Next bottom job was 2011, then in 2018. Use the same procedure in each case with the original number of paint coats still adhering to the bottom gelcoat.

Each year a hired diver inspects the bottom at the beginning of the season. Checks for rudder play, installs new zincs, clears the through hulls if needed, cleans the transducer speed wheel, shaft strut/bearing, etc. Scrapes any mussels off the keel bulb and a barnacle or two from the prop, if any. Usually the first year or so not much to clean, but over time the ablative looses its strength. He never cleans the bottom. Usually the flow of water passed the hull each time we cruise year around removes any marine fuzz.

We keep our boat in sea water year around ready to go at a moments notice. If fair weather holds during a three day weekend, I'm gone. Just finished a winter cruise rendezvous this past MLK weekend and had a great time. So far no need to take off all the old paint and start afresh. Maybe someday, but until then...

SLE

Nov 13, 2017
Hunter 36 Lake Champlain
Thanks for your inputs.
At first, I was planning to have it soda blast and start from scratch. Maybe it is over doing it. Plus there are all the other cost that I had not planed...

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
We bought a Beneteau 411 that had bottom paint failure in multiple spots. The paint adhesive failure was deep down many layers. I did scrape a few areas but in the end decided to remove all. Used Dupont Peel Away. It is a paste that you spread on 1/"8 to 3/16" thick and then cover with the paper they supply. Wait 2 days and all 8-10 layers EASILY fall off. followed by light scraping where you put the stripper on correctly and more scraping where you don't. Did half the boat last year and balance is scheduled for this spring. Whole hull for <$800.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Last fall I have bought a Hunter 36 2004. The bottom paint is falling into places. My surveyor said, scrape around the loose stuff and reapply a new coat....
A nice clean smooth bottom is important if you are racing, otherwise, slowing down the growth of critters and such is all you need, especially on a new-to-you boat.

Make a priority list of what needs to be done and work your way down the list, redoing the bottom will probably end up towards the bottom.

In the mean time, scrape the loose stuff and use an moderately expensive bottom paint. Too cheap and it won't work well, too fancy and it is money you'll just be sanding off eventually.

Take a look at Blue Water Marine Paints. https://www.bluewatermarinepaint.com. They are a small company in NJ that does a lot of store label paints and they have a marine line. Reviews are generally good and the price is lower in part due to lower advertising and marketing costs. I've been using their Shelter Island Copper Free paint and it has generally worked well in fresh water.

Jul 29, 2006
-Catalina -2000 36' Pepin, WI
Incorrect spelling, not DUPONT. Yep, darn auto spell check.
https://dumondchemicals.com/home-peel-away-1.html
I might try that this peel-away stuff in the spring. Goodness, let’s get over this Wisconsin winter. 8-10 “ snow tonight, minus 50-60 wind chill next two days, with forecast mid week low in the minus 23-25 F with out windchill. Yikes! Have to admit I visite our outdoor hot tub this afternoon for 30 minute soak. Air temp +8 F, water temp +100F.