Beneteau 393 Throttle Problem

Jan 20, 2019
Beneteau 393 Tedra Lymington
All,
Hoping for some direction on my query.
Extremely well maintained yacht.
Engine (55HP Volvo Penta) serviced 3 months ago - clean bill of health.
Out on the water yesterday and moved throttle into forward gear.
Revs came up but did not engage in forward.
Moved throttle back to neutral and tried it again - this time gear engaged and off we went!
I then slowed her down to a stop, throttle in neutral and i put her into reverse.
Again high revs but did not engage.
Back to Neutral and then back into reverse and she dug in no problem and we had way.
Anyone out there seen this sort of thing before and if so where source of problem could be?
best wishes

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
Check the shift cable where it attaches to the trans., it's bolted to a bracket, sounds like maybe it's loose or out of adjustment.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Area you certain you are not pressing the red button on shifter? Sure you know that will keep in neutral with the ability to rev engine. If you are not inadvertently hitting it maybe something in the shifter housing is. Sounds like I would start with examining that......

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Check the shift cable where it attaches to the trans., it's bolted to a bracket, sounds like maybe it's loose or out of adjustment.
I had this happen once...seemed like the tranny was broke, but just needed to tighten the cable bracket thing.

Greg

Jan 20, 2019
Cheers guys! - Tally Ho! NYSail and BrianRobin. Will check shifter hosuing and the shift cable where it attaches to the trans!

Jan 20, 2019
Hi
Got a fix on the throttle but wil replace throttle mechanism on the pedestal end of season. Anyone know where I can find a diagram to explain how to take the throttle mechanism off the pedestal (say) like an exploded view?
many thanks
D

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Hi
Got a fix on the throttle but wil replace throttle mechanism on the pedestal end of season. Anyone know where I can find a diagram to explain how to take the throttle mechanism off the pedestal (say) like an exploded view?
many thanks
D
This might help if its a Goiot pedestal
CB8BFBBD-5D9A-4357-87BA-B3D6211F62D0.png