You Get What You Pay For

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
A new customer asked me to inspect the work her previous dive service had done a week earlier.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
A new customer asked me to inspect the work her previous dive service had done a week earlier.

By "previous dive service" I take that to mean that she has already fired them and hired you, I hope--right?

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
By "previous dive service" I take that to mean that she has already fired them and hired you, I hope--right?
She wasn't confident that they were doing a good job, so she asked me to have a look. So, yes, she is my client now. :laugh:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I take it by the title that she got an amazing price for that job?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
When we owned sailboats in SW Florida I usually cleaned my own bottom. (No pun intended.) I enjoyed the chance to use scuba equipment and give our hull a good cleaning. It became just another maintenance task. I most often did this chore while anchored in an area with enough water depth and with little boat traffic. However, I remember cleaning the bottom once while in our slip and doing a centerboard cable replacement there also.

As I look back at those activities I realize that I never appreciated the danger in that task. About a year and a half ago I heard from friends in Cape Coral that a diver died (reportedly from stray current) while cleaning the bottom of a vessel. A word of caution and a question to fstbttms and any other diver or swimmer who enters the water in a marina setting. Is there a way to check for stray current before entering the water?

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Maybe his goggles were foggy. :biggrin:

An obviously fresh bottom job, done poorly.
I can understand a few little missed spots of algea, but that is ridiculous.
The through hulls not cleared are grounds for a berating, in addition to firing. Also the rudder strut, and the prop being addressed with a cursory wipe means he didn't inspect the cutlass for fishing line etc.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
reportedly from stray current) while cleaning the bottom of a vessel. A word of caution and a question to fstbttms and any other diver or swimmer who enters the water in a marina setting. Is there a way to check for stray current before entering the water?
Never heard of a "stray current". Prop wash? How did a stay current kill a driver in a marina?
I've swam in lots of marinas in florida from Key West to Apalachicola. Never experienced anything like that.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Never heard of a "stray current". Prop wash? How did a stay current kill a driver in a marina?
I've swam in lots of marinas in florida from Key West to Apalachicola. Never experienced anything like that.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Electricity.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Wow, must be nice to dive in 50° water without gloves. After a few minutes I can't even feel my fingers. LOL

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
There was a discussion of this issue on SBO not that long ago during a marina etiquette thread. https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?goto/post&id=1451934#post-1451934

I asked the same question about salt versus fresh water.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Will, I would have definitely been in agreement with you. But reading the article here's how they explained it:

"Why fresh water and not salt? Salt-water is anywhere from 50 to 1,000 times more conductive than fresh water. The conductivity of the human body when wet lies between the two, but is much closer to saltwater than fresh. In saltwater, the human body only slows electricity down, so most of it will go around a swimmer on its way back to ground unless the swimmer grabs hold of something — like a propeller or a swim ladder — that's electrified. In fresh water, the current gets "stuck" trying to return to its source and generates voltage gradients that will take a shortcut through the human body. A voltage gradient of just 2 volts AC per foot in fresh water can deliver sufficient current to kill a swimmer who bridges it."

For what it's worth, that's what they said about this

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Is this when I say, "I swim corrected?"

I know there are many marinas (in both fresh water and salt water) that have signs prohibiting swimming in the marina. Of course boat traffic is an obvious concern, but I thought electricity was also a concern near the wired docks. I remember the previous SBO discussion, and I remember the death of the diver I referenced. He was diving in salt water. My concern was for fstbttms, the person who posted the video in this thread. If I spoke without proper knowledge, I swim corrected.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Is this when I say, "I swim corrected?"

I know there are many marinas (in both fresh water and salt water) that have signs prohibiting swimming in the marina. Of course boat traffic is an obvious concern, but I thought electricity was also a concern near the wired docks. I remember the previous SBO discussion, and I remember the death of the diver I referenced. He was diving in salt water. My concern was for fstbttms, the person who posted the video in this thread. If I spoke without proper knowledge, I swim corrected.
I was a dockmaster at a salt water marina, and we had signs posted prohibiting swimming in the marina, with an explanation about the dangers of stray current. I stayed late in the office one day, and saw kids jumping off the bow of a boat and swimming back to the dock. I walked down to the boat, and explained to the owner that the kids couldn't swim in the marina. He gave me a hard time, and said that was only for business hours. I told him the rule was 24/7, and I was surprised he had so little regard for the safety of his grandchildren.