Shoot through transducer placement

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Hi guys,
I have a catalina 22 MK II. I have installed a shoot-through transducer for a fish finder inside the hull in the bow. Works great. There is a dead depth finder in the cockpit and I have just purchased a Hawkeye to replace it. I can get a transom mounted transducer but I would prefer a shoot through one. Has anyone installed one in the aft area of the boat? Does anyone know if the hull is only fiberglass in this area and the thickness?
Any info would be appreciated.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
If you want you can mount the transom transducer on the inside of the hull. I secured mine with plumbers putty, others have glassed them in place. I mounted mine in the storage already within the aft cabin. I’ve done this on several boats and it works great. My unit is a Garmin 540 series with gps/fishfinder. It still detects fish and even displays the water temp.

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
Cat,

This worked great for me. I put a shoot-thru in my boat some years back. The important thing for best placement is basically aft of the keel. Bows can lift up out of the water & your reading can be on-n-off.

Another thing is to find a location in your hull that is solid glass with no voids or air/bubble pockets. An easy way is to first locate a spot where you would want to mount it. Have the system hooked up & turned on. Place the transducer in a plastic zip-lock or similar bag about half full over the transducer. Then check to see if you have a good read. If knot, you can easily move it around for a better spot. On my boat, I have mine aft of the keel & as close to athwartship center as possible (based on the beam of your boat). In this way no matter the heel angle, the transducer will still read bottom.

Mar 23, 2015
Doh! I actually installed a transom-style transducer in the bow using plumbers putty and it works great. So I can actually use the transom mount that came with the depth gauge in the aft compartment. The use of plumbers putty is great and allows the thing to be easily moved if necessary. Thanks for the info, guys.
cec

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I don't think, the location matters whether in the bow or the stern as either end can come out of the water periodically but only for a few moments at a time. Sailboats are slow so depth readings are not time critical. Their principal use is to confirm position by matching charted depths (fog navigation comes to mind) and also to operate boat in shallow areas at slow speed. They also can help calculate desired anchor scope. In areas where departures are dependent on tides it can tell you when you reach a predetermined depth which will allow to get out. A toilet wax ring is also a perfect material for a transducer temporary setting as it will remain soft.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Place the transducer in a plastic zip-lock or similar bag about half full over the transducer.
I did the same with my "puck". Placed it next to the original in-hull sounder where it sits quite secure unless I go turtle.
But then that would be the least of my problems. Check the water level periodically, like every few months, and never had a problem. Been like that for several years.

Jun 10, 2017
Roland,

DUH, I should have mentioned that per the manual, used a clear epoxy for mounting.
I made sure the epoxy I set was even thickness & also swabbed a thin coat on the transducer base.
I was careful to set it on the epoxy & then made a quarter turn using even pressure.

It's been working great for 8 years now.

May 12, 2004
Roland,

DUH, I should have mentioned that per the manual, used a clear epoxy for mounting.
I mad e sure the epoxy I set was even thickness & also swabbed a thin coat on the transducer base.
I was careful to set it on the epoxy & then made a quarter turn using even pressure.

It's been working great for 8 years now.
I was going to do that but the water in the zip-lock seems to be working nicely. And, if I need to, I can move it around but haven't had to do that.

Mar 23, 2015
I was going to do that but the water in the zip-lock seems to be working nicely. And, if I need to, I can move it around but haven't had to do that.
Roland, do I understand correctly that you just left the transducer in the zip lock bag permanently?

Jun 10, 2017
Cat,
I mentioned to use the zip-lock bag but, only for finding a good location for mounting.
I didn't suggest to keep it in the bag. I'll proof-read posts better in the future.......

Mar 23, 2015
Cat,
I mentioned to use the zip-lock bag but, only for finding a good location for mounting.
I didn't suggest to keep it in the bag. I'll proof-read posts better in the future.......
Ya, that makes much more sense. Thanks for the quick reply!
carlos

May 12, 2004
Roland, do I understand correctly that you just left the transducer in the zip lock bag permanently?
You understand correctly. I didn't intend for that to be the case but it just seems to be working out just fine. If it ain't broke...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It will work in the bag until the bag develops a leak. Then it won’t and it will be broken. Then to the store for a new bag?

May 12, 2004
It will work in the bag until the bag develops a leak. Then it won’t and it will be broken. Then to the store for a new bag?
Four years and the bag is still intact. Freezer bags last longer. Being the prudent mariner, most times I would hope, I always carry spares. :)

Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
I’ve done the same thing with a toilet wax ring inside a piece of 4in pvc. Works like a champ. Just like the bag, if it breaks loose, it is a $2 fix and 10 minutes of work. Honestly, worst thing was once a year or two it would stop reading. I climbed up front and pasted it down again. I’m upgrading electronics on a new boat and I imagine I’ll do the same thing again.

May 12, 2004
I’ve done the same thing with a toilet wax ring inside a piece of 4in pvc.
I forgot to mention. My puck, inside the bag of water, is also in a 4 in piece of PVC. Keeps everything nice and secure.