Do you brine your turkey?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
We do. We use a cup of Kosher Salt, water, 1/2 G apple juice, and 1/2 G orange juice. We brine for about 14 hours. Guarantee to be the tenderest, moist turkey. Regular oven cooked.

How about you? Deep fry maybe?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yes. We follow Alton Brown's recipe.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe-1950271

The brine is sitting on the stove cooling as I type. The bird will start swimming later tonight. Probably be a 10 to 12 hour swim. There is a point of diminishing returns.

Brining makes a huge difference. We also don't put stuffing inside the bird. I'll put a cut up apple and a cut up onion in the cavity leaving lots of room for the hot air. Our oven has a convection roast setting that we'll use. Heats from the top and the bottom. Rumored to create a nice crisp skin.

(we need a turkey emoji :biggrin:)

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Brine. Dry. Drop it in a fryer. Turns out great. Takes 45 min or so. After 35 or so I check temp every coupla minutes. I think brining helps a fried turkey because you really can't do a rub, or butter under the skin, etc... It's droppin a raw turkey in a fryer.

I've brined and ovened before. Turns out great - particularly when you use a thermometer the whole time. Overcooking is what makes turkey not good turkey.

Got one of the grocery store freebies in the freezer for an experiment later on - i'm gonna try sous vide then BBQ or smoked for crisp and color. Brines in the sous vide. (one recipe calls for 150f for 24 hours in the sous vide - you can cook it from frozen - I sous vide frozen chicken all the time.)

Jan 11, 2014
The turkey is swimming. Just don't let the boys and girls over at SA know we're talking turkey. They'll think we've all gone to the birds.:rolleyes:

IMG_1556.jpg

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I spatchcoked two last week for office party where my daughter works — @Phil Herring ask your daughter how it was ( I got a highly biased opinion). Smoked one with hickory and the other in the oven. Could have been fully cooked in 2hrs (16 & 21 lbs) but slowed it down so wouldn’t be cold.
Not brined but injected and dry rub.
Les

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Not brined. Injected with a roasted garlic and herb stuff with vermouth and butter . Set in fridge for 24 hours, then deep fry in peanut oil. The Bloody Marys are made and aged 5 days. A couple of them must be consumed while the turkey fries. Very yummy!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I cook mine on the charcoal Weber w/o much prior dressing. Cooks in about 2 hr or until you can pull off a leg. Browned to golden. Very moist. Creates little mess inside the house.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I use a Big Easy oiless fryer. I don’t brine but do inject a mild Cajun garlic butter piece of heaven. It adds a nice flavor without covering up the flavor of the turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving, y’all!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
We tried an apple brine last night, about 15 hours, and smoked it in the smoker for 5 hours with apple wood. Delicious! It was an 11-1/2 lb broad breasted turkey my daughter got free from work. Tonight, we are trying one of the heritage turkeys we raise, never had one before. Dressed out at 12-1/4 lbs. They have little fat on them. We brined it and half cooked it in the oven. Tonight we are turning it into turkey pot pies, for a change. All the stuffing and cranberries are going into the pie. It will be Thanksgiving dinner in a slice of pie.
To oven roast, it is imparative to wrap in foil to hold in the moisture. It is amazing how many people just put their turkeys in a pan and roast unwrapped.
Heritage turkeys are very similar to wild turkeys. They do come in a variety of breeds, though. Holland Whites, Narragansetts, Bourbon Reds, Chocolates, etc.
(Ignore the order message at the bottom of the picture. My original picture was removed from my phone and this was the only version I could find. We don't have any more for sale, anyhow) Heritage turkeys are the result of efforts to preserve the genetic purity of the turkeys found by the pilgrims. They are fully mature at about 18-20 lbs, as opposed to the GMO broad breasted turkeys which grow to as much as 50 lbs. Heritage breeds can fly and mate on their own. Two things the broad breasted breeds can't do. 20181121_164806.jpg both these turkeys are within a pound of each other. The broad breasted store turkey on the left. The heritage turkey on the right. They are built quite differently.
20171204_103143.jpg These are the broad breasted turkeys we had last year.

Heritage turkeys are suppose to have a much richer flavor with denser meat. I'll let you know how the heritage turkey turned out, tomorrow.

Have a great Thanksgiving SBO.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I cook mine on the charcoal Weber w/o much prior dressing. Cooks in about 2 hr or until you can pull off a leg. Browned to golden. Very moist. Creates little mess inside the house.

We do it that way also. We keep the Weber around just for the turkey.

This year we are trying the deal where you lay bacon across the top of the bird and cook it. Everything is better with bacon.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
We do it that way also. We keep the Weber around just for the turkey.

This year we are trying the deal where you lay bacon across the top of the bird and cook it. Everything is better with bacon.
I use a hand-fashioned drip pan of aluminum foil under the bird to catch the grease. Wife uses to make gravy, but before that I baste the bird with it near the end for the golden brown. Coals are piled on either side to create the space for the drip pan.

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
On Sunday night I put mine in a five gallon bucket of water with enough Morton's Tender Quick to float an egg. Leave it in the fridge until early Thursday morning when I place it in a smoker with a water pan over the heat and hickory chips in between. The outside temperature determines how long it stays in the smoker. This morning with the outside temperature right at freezing, I had to get an early start.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
This morning with the outside temperature right at freezing, I had to get an early start.
It's 0 F (almost -18 C) today. I'm glad we did the smoking yesterday. The outside temp and wind make a huge difference.
There is also a wind chill advisory today. I hope the wind block I built for my bees works. I'm stacking walls of hay for the ducks and turkeys too.
This is a very cold November.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The ladies decided to not eat turkey this year. So I’ll be cooking a Chateaubriand for dinner.
I’ve heard tears about the romaine lettuce ban. So instead.
Braised roasted baby red potatoes. Maybe some homemade biscuits with a local honey. Steamed broccoli cauliflower and carrots. And a glass of 2007 Zinfandel that needs to breath.

Jan 11, 2014
I’ve heard tears about the romaine lettuce ban
Yep, bad week for the lettuce ban. :(

Went to 3 grocery stores to find a suitable substitute. Scored one of the last 3 containers of spring mix at the last store. Kale, spinach, and arugula abound.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Iceberg is returning to the restaurants around here.
Conspiracy theory mentioned “the iceberg growers did something to get back their market share from the romaine growers. “.