Show us your trailer setup

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Strikes me as a big boy engineering question!

Seriously, I would engage an engineer with competence and experience in trailer design for such loads before attempting any work. The existing structure may not be adequate for dynamic loads it will experience on the road. And adding wheels, towing, and suspension components each present issues that need real engineering design.

Finally, will the resulting trailer be legal on your local roads?

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
I personally don't like this type of trailer for any other use then what it was intended for, a yard trailer. Although a few in our club haul their boats approx. 15-20 km's on them, the push load down a hill with no brakes makes me cringe! Sandusky's comment about being legal, isn't a big problem for most of us eastern Canadians, the leo's usually will work with us, unless of course we pull down the overhead wires.

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
CSNB try this one out, used to haul my 35.5 with no issues and then modified to haul the extended length of the present 40.5.
Tri-axle, electric brakes on all wheels, lights, hitch and safety chains are all highway legal, trailer has been inspected each year with no issues. I can get you the measurement the next time I'm down to check on the boat. Will find the pix and download.

Jul 19, 2007
Here are the pictures of my trailer: DSC_0031.JPG DSC_0031.JPG Wooden inserts will hold the small skeg on the keel just off the center shoe and will allow you to center the boat on the bulb. Stabilizer jacks on the rear of the trailer allow for more trailer stability if your on uneven ground in the yard with the boat on the trailer and in summer I use them to lift the entire weight of the trailer off the suspension along with the tongue jack. All eight (8) stands are adjustable and can be lowered side to side to allow for putting on anti-fouling paint.
DSC_0035.JPG
DSC_0036.JPG DSC_0035.JPG DSC_0031.JPG DSC_0031.JPG
DSC_0031.JPG
DSC_0031.JPG
DSC_0035.JPG
DSC_0036.JPG
DSC_0031.JPG
DSC_0031.JPG
DSC_0035.JPG
DSC_0036.JPG

Aug 14, 2011
Hunter 35.5 Legend PCYC Shediac, NB
Agree, I have already removed these axles and looking at installing 3-5000 lb axles. Currently the travel distance is under 3 km. Not looking for highway speeds but will be adding brakes to help

Jul 19, 2007
Axles are 5000 lbs with six ply springs. the weight of the present boat doesn't bottom the springs. Are you going from the marina to Romeo's Marine or a location of similar distance?

Dec 31, 2016
The easy way to design any sailboat trailer is to use cradle measurements (support heights, width etc.) for the boat in question and build your trailer around those measurements.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Here's a short article about the conversion from 2 axles to 3. This was done for a number of reasons, the boat and trailer are about 11,000lbs, and two 5k axles are nowhere near capable of that. Three axles also provide over the road security in case a bearing decides to exit the planet, that still leaves two on that side so that we're not sitting in the weeds in the middle of nowhere.
https://meriachee.wordpress.com/2014/10/07/well-heeled/

Aug 14, 2011
Yes that’s about the distance but would also like to be able to bring into town if needed.

Dec 31, 2016
Here's a short article about the conversion from 2 axles to 3. This was done for a number of reasons, the boat and trailer are about 11,000lbs, and two 5k axles are nowhere near capable of that. Three axles also provide over the road security in case a bearing decides to exit the planet, that still leaves two on that side so that we're not sitting in the weeds in the middle of nowhere.
https://meriachee.wordpress.com/2014/10/07/well-heeled/
I very much agree with the weight issue, however for short distance hauling 2-8k axles can sometimes be the answer. If you are in a tight spot, a 3-axle trailer has a tremendous amount of drag when turning. Watch the rear axle on a tri-axle trailer making a sharp turn, the rear wheels drag sideways. But for over the road use,3 axle will definitely give you a much safer, smoother ride. FYI,My shop has built trailer for over 34 years.

Attachments

Jul 19, 2007
Nice looking trailer Brian, is the shop in Charlottetown?

Aug 14, 2011
Just found a great deal on 3 - 6000 lbs axles with brakes for $400 each. Looks like a great start to a trailer build