Hurricane Michael

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not fun. That picture of the trawler Oceanis reminds me of a fishing boat in Eureka CA. It was moved up onto land about 1/2 mile by the wave from the Alaskan 64 earthquake. They decided to convert it to a restaurant rather than try to refloat it. No idea if it is still there, but I remember stopping there during one of our Hwy 101 trips north for burgers.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
One really becomes disoriented when the landscape is changed so drastically and houses, businesses, and landmarks have completely vanished or have become misplaced.
If it wasn't for the newly created, but crude, GPS on radio phones, we couldn't not locate streets even.
It is normal to take pictures of the bad things, but I did appreciate the pictures of the "snapped trees".
That takes place when the velocity of the winds are so strong, that even pine trees can not bend.

Note the diameter and heights of the snaps and not at their base.

Several houses in the pictures had Minimal damage, while a neighbor was blown off its foundation.

Thanks for sharing.
Jim...

May 25, 2004
Hunter 25.5 Panama City, FL
I know I don't post much however I have been a member for a long time and have learned so much from this forum. Just wanted to share. I live in the Callaway area of Panama City just north of Tyndall AFB. But now I have only a partial house and a missing sailboat. Several boats were found marooned on Shell Island, two of those were close dock mates. I have been told the marina was totally destroyed as well as the docks, can't get to it yet. Let me tell you it was difficult just to find what was left of my house, nothing looked the same, houses all beat up, no street signs. Trees, power poles across the road or on top of houses. Trees snapped in half or uprooted. It is a mess but I am in better shape than most, I do have a place to crash for a while thanks to family.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Glenda;
What assistance are you and your neighbors getting from government, public and private agencies?

May 25, 2004
I can't say I know all however it is remarkable how everyone has come together to help out not only the utility companies from all over, I have seen utility trucks, bucket trucks in convoys coming from Texas to New Jersey and places in between as well as first responders from all different states, of course FEMA. different organizations handing out bottled water, gas for generators, nonperishable food, charcoal for grills, tarps. These organizations are set up in different neighborhoods all over the city. And some of the big box stores have sent trucks with supplies to hand out. I am so fortunate to have a place to stay with family. I do want to find my little sailboat though.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Sad to think the boat may be lost. The story you tell about the destruction of that town is eye opening. It's awful to think of people who have no home to go to. I think that's the worst. We all think that despite the tribulations of a day, we can go home and find comfort. Without that, we are without refuge. For those in that situation I have great sympathy.

May 25, 2004
Yes Will, it is a sweet little boat, easy to single hand and when I did manage to trim the sails just right she was in her "groove" and consistently made theoretical hull speed.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Here is a tip to find floating boats:

Get a hand compass or other similar, on a map, point the direction of the storm surge from the beach area near where your boat was. My guess is about North by North East or say 15° from North.
Then follow that general direction inland. You might to see water craft scattered.

After Katina we did that and found Many boat along that surge track.
Most of the boats had minor to undamaged, but stopped and set down as the waters receded.

Good Luck...
Jim...

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
Find someone who has a drone with a live feed to the controlling device. It will allow you to cover more ground and cover the storm path more directly and completely not being tied to roads and such.