Swageless fitting

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
anyone have experience with hi-mod swageless fittings?

I installed the trim-to-fit forestay, and I would have been more confident if the stud went into the nut further. The instructions say "hand tight plus 1/2 turn." "Hand tight" was less than two full rotations.

I kind of wondered if rather than bottoming out, it was just getting hung up somehow. The instructions said DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. So I took them at their word.

I guess I need to put my faith in loctite 277.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
got any pictures? 2 threads sounds pretty small holding area but it may be enough for your size.

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Having thought about this for 24 hours now I've come to a couple conclusions.

1. I'm paranoid.
2. If there is anything to be paranoid about - this is probably it. Can't think of anything more catastrophic than a forestay failure (submarine attack maybe?).

Turns out hi-mod has a help desk, and they were very reassuring. Guy on the phone says he is 100% confident of the back end of the fitting. The fitting does not depend on torque, but kid of works like a novelty store "Chinese handcuffs" the harder you pull, the tighter it gets.

As for the front end of the fitting, the specs say that 2 threads + proper loctite gives you "full strength," but he'd like to see three threads . . . .maybe 4. He suggested heating the fitting with a torch, removing the fitting, cleaning off the loctite, re-applying loctite and trying again.

He said I could go either way, but he'd probably try again.