Refinishing H376 interior floor

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
My 1998 H376 wood floor is showing some wear and tear. I'm considering refinishing it. I assume the veneer is very thin. Has anyone done this project? Suggestions? Product to use?
Thanks. Bob

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Yes, it is thin but I know some who sand it down often with good results. My original board were not protected on the sides or the bottom so they rotted out when they got wet. I put epoxy around the sides and urethane all around on my new boards and after 8 years of constant abuse including getting wet a lot, they are still strong. So my advice is, if you pull the boards, at min put epoxy on the sides to keep water out.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I took the sole out of my H280, light sanding and revarnished with Helmsman Spar Varnish. A ligh sanding between coats...I only did 3 coats....not nearly as OCD as some folks on the forum (I prefer to sail more than varnish). I did mine over the winter layup...took the sole out in pieces, reworked them in my basement over the winter (did I mention I like to sail more than do maintenance...which I can do when the water is rock hard).

As was noted above, getting the wood sealed on the sides and bottom can keep the wood from turning dark or rotting from underneath. You may have to sand off the sides some if your bilge boards are really tight.

Good luck.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
I wish I still had the photos to show you, but mine on my H27 came out great. I used a citrus-based stripper and a paint scraper to remove the old varnish, then applied 5 coats of Helmsman polyurethane. I scraped then painted the underside with Interlux Brightsides.

I'll let you know in 10 years if it holds up. :)