'88 Mac 26D trailer refurb.

May 25, 2018
Macgregor 26D Bremerton WA
So... I have to do some major trailer repairs due to corrosion. Mainly the tongue and winch "tower". The trailer lives in the Puget Sound region so salt water is the main launch environment. My question to the forum is: After the R&R of the corroded steel is finished with glorious new welds all around, what refinish process will keep this refurb process from being repeated for a long time. Primer, sealer, paint, galvanizing coating? After the initial repair I plan to prime and seal or something so I can use the trailer the rest of the summer. The plan is to completely refinish the whole trailer (not just the repaired section) over the winter when I can't sail any way. The process might include media blasting, cold galvanizing (spray or brush?) priming and painting. What has been done out there to treat your trailers against harsh environments like salt water?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Six years ago I redid our trailer for our S ...

... and added a second axle with disc brakes and also a sub-frame under the original frame along with extending the back of the trailer and adding a third bunk. I trailer with the outboard on and a lot of other weight in the boat so went a little further than most would need to go.

I had the original frame media blasted and that was well worth it to get down to a good base and also see what was there. I used epoxy primer and top coated that with Acrylic Urethane. Bought the paint from Summit Racing. They have good prices on their own labeled paint. They now have a paint called Chassis Shield that I might try on a RV trailer I'm making now. I called and it is suppose to have UV protection. It would be cheaper as I'd just need two coats but not sure I want the frame black so might go with the epoxy followed by the acrylic urethane again.

The boat trailer has held up well with the only rust being back in seams where the epoxy didn't get into. Should of sealed them better,

Sumner
=========================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

May 25, 2018
Thanks Sumner, I appreciate your experience. I noticed from some of your pics that your trailer tongue is a continuation of the c channels that form the frame of the trailer. Is this original? My siblings and I along with my dad are the original owners of this boat and trailer. My trailer has had a 3"x3" square steel tube welded in in place of the c channel tongue. I remember my dad gave me the job of painting the trailer and doing other work on the trailer like bunk wood and carpet replacement. Perhaps he had the steel work done at that time if your basic trailer is factory original.

What brand primer did you use and how did you apply it?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
...I noticed from some of your pics that your trailer tongue is a continuation of the c channels that form the frame of the trailer. Is this original?
Trailer came that way and from the way it looks I'd say it was original, but saying that Roger probably made and/or sourced trailers over time that were different.

...What brand primer did you use and how did you apply it?
In the past on car projects I've used PPG's DP90 epoxy and it is good stuff. For the trailer I used Summit's epoxy primer and catalyst ....

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-up230/overview/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-up231/overview/

They have it in quarts also. I didn't see any difference in it and PPG's paint from the way it sprayed and how it has held up but that isn't a scientific observation. Quite a bit cheaper.

Top coated with their acrylic urethane....

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-up301

... and the appropriate activator and reducer from them also. I wanted a white top coat so went this way. I think I'll try their Chassis Shield black satin on the trailer I'm making now. ...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-up500/overview/

Problem is that it is only available in black, so black it will be. It will be cheaper though and less work but wonder about their UV claims. Some epoxies chalk under sunlight and this trailer will live outdoors. Time will tell,

Sumner
===========================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...

May 25, 2018
Thanks for the info Sumner. Those prices seem reasonable. I'm a Composites Manufacturing instructor at a college in Bremerton WA and for some of my Jeep Wrangler accessory projects, I have been looking for UV stable Epoxies. Particularly Resin Infusion epoxy. Almost non-existent. I did find one, but the company who's catalog I found it in didn't actually have it. So no joy on the search for actual UV stable Epoxy anything so far.

I'll probably need to replace the fenders as well. Where did you source yours? I realize yours is tandem but I figure the source probably has a variety of fenders.

Last edited:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
... I'm a Composites Manufacturing instructor at a college in Bremerton WA.......
Was there on the carrier USS Constellation in '65. Beautiful area, but just a bit too much rain for me ;). Considered moving there once years ago.

...I'll probably need to replace the fenders as well. Where did you source yours? I realize yours is tandem but I figure the source probably has a variety of fenders.
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=Fender&furl=-pg-Trailer_Fenders

Have fun on the project,

Sumner
======================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
This may be redundant but be sure to give every thing a good wash down with fresh water at the ramp if you can, I f not at least when you get home.

May 25, 2018
Thanks for the reminder timebandit. The local ramps most often don't have hose bibs so I have to wait till I get home. If pressure washing is a problem then I'm maybe doing the wrong thing. But I think the main issue is my location in general, western Washington in pretty close proximity to the waters of Puget Sound. Major bodies of salt water 15-20 minutes east and west of my house. In addition, you know it rains every day here in western Washington (that's our story and we're sticking to it) so things are never what you might call dry around here. Not like SoCal where the boat lived it's life up until 2008ish. Moisture is the enemy of many things steel and composite.

May 25, 2018
Hey Sumner, The square steel tube I bought to replace the rotted one in trailer tongue is 7 inches longer. Is there any reason I should not install the extra 7 inches and thereby extending the tongue? I tow with a Jeep wrangler with a spare tire on the gate and the extra length would be nice so I would not have to remove the tire to tow the boat. You seem like a very competent fabricator in several arenas, particularly successful Macgregor boat and trailer modifications so if any one would warn me away from using the extra length it would be you. I value your input on this question. Thanks.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I'd use the extra length. Just make sure you still have good tongue weight, but can't imagine 7 inches changing much. I've built a number of trailers and usually try and make the tongue as long as practical as it makes the trailer a lot easier to back. The Mac trailer with the wheels way back is already very easy to back, so 7 inches probably won't change that much.

I use an adjustable ball mount hitch as it is a little longer and allows me to drop the tailgate down on the Suburban. Kind of the same situation you have.

Have you towed with the wrangler yet. I had a Jeep Scrambler with a little longer wheel base and towed once with it. Dropping a thousand feet into the first canyon west of town on the way to Lake Powell I did not like the way the boat was pushing the Jeep around on the tight turns. Bought the used Suburban and never towed with the Jeep again. In flatter terrain it probably wouldn't be a problem, but living and towing where we do, that isn't an option. Nothing like a heavier tow vehicle for peace of mind.

Post pictures of the work :),

Sumner
================================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...

Last edited:
May 25, 2018
Thanks Sumner, I appreciate your experience and insights. I have towed this boat with three vehicles, '84 S-10 Blazer, 2006 Ford Explorer, and now the 2011 Wrangler (not the Unlimited so it is the short one). I think the Wrangler is actually the heavier of the three. In addition the traction control and anti-lock breaks standard on the Wrangler for off road purposes are superior to my older tow vehicles and actually the Blazer was before these features came to wide use in the consumer auto market. As I mentioned, my main launch points are within 15 minutes drive from my house and I can usually choose a rout where the hills are moderate. I have had pretty good luck towing this boat over the years just going low and slow and paying attention to the "other guy" even on the freeways in SoCal. We had more tense times sailing our boats (we had a Mac 22 before the 26D) than towing them. Bottom line I guess is that I feel very safe towing with the Wrangler with the local towing I do.

You ever sail Puget Sound? The nice thing about it vs. the open ocean is there are no swells to deal with and the winds are usually steady and moderate. Currents at the hight of tide change can be an issue sometimes but it is manageable if you think ahead and plan you trip according to the tide chart. Also there are many boat in only camp areas around the Sound and the San Juan Islands. Unsurpassed scenery and wildlife as well as you know from your time here with the Navy. July and August is usually excellent weather for a sailing adventure in this region. (oops! I forgot, It rains every day here in western Washington. That's our story...)

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
....You ever sail Puget Sound? ....July and August is usually excellent weather for a sailing adventure in this region. (oops! I forgot, It rains every day here in western Washington. That's our story...)
Sounds like the Jeep is working well for you. Never sailed there, just motored on the carrier;). You are right about the summers. Both summers I was there it was wonderful. Almost pulled the Mac up there our second trip with her but felt at the time we would be in over our heads heading north into Canada so did our Idaho/Canada trip instead. Doubt I'll make it now as my sailing years might be winding down :(,

Sumner
=================================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html

Jan 28, 2012
Macgregor 26D Saint Cloud, Fl
I also tow my mac D with a Jeep Wrangler unlimited - 4door. I use a hitch extender to get that extra space under the spare tire to the hitch. Its tough to lock and unlock the hitch when its directly under the spare. Type "hitch extender" in amazon and you will get many choices.

May 25, 2018
Hi Sumner,
First off, thank you for your service to our country. I have been studying the pics for your various trailer mods and I have a question about the tongue coupler. I notice that they come in either a bolt on or weld on configuration. The one on my trailer seems to be a bolt on that was welded on. I notice that you have had yours in both bolt on and welded configurations over time. Since I have the option while welding in a whole new tongue, which is preferred? Bolting or welding? I'm not a welder but with the plethora of top notch welders in this area (from the ship yard, welding on submarines and other vessels) I have no problem finding welding excellence close at hand. In fact my sons roommate is one of these and he will be doing the welding.
Thanks for your advice on my project.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
... I have a question about the tongue coupler. I notice that they come in either a bolt on or weld on configuration. The one on my trailer seems to be a bolt on that was welded on. I notice that you have had yours in both bolt on and welded configurations over time. Since I have the option while welding in a whole new tongue, which is preferred? Bolting or welding? ....
We currently have 5 different trailers and ...

..... I'm building a 6th and they are all bolted on. I'll bet MacGregor welded them as that was faster and cost less. Probably not a problem if you never have to service it and it isn't damaged. I'd follow the recommendations of the manufacture of the coupler and if it is a bolt on style would stay with that. Some are weld-on....

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-trailer-couplers.aspx

Sumner
===========================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...

May 25, 2018
Hi Sumner,
Looking at the listings for the couplers online, I see that hardware is not included. I saw in a Q&A that etrailer told the questioner that most people weld the couplers on so they don't include the hardware. Well, I intend to bolt on a bolt on coupler. I assume I'm not picking up any old nuts and bolts down at Lowe's or some place to attach the coupler. What is the recommended attachment hardware specification?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/trailer-mods-index.html

Don't remember why, but used grade 5 bolts for the boat trailer but just got grade 8 for the trailer I'm making now (previous post up the page). Our Ace Hardware has both grades. The coupler for the disk brakes I got said you only had to use the top two bolt holes but I used all three. Not sure if those instructions said to use grade 5 or not?

Sumner

P.S. Wasn't correct when I said all of our trailers have bolt-on couplers. The car-hauler trailer has an "A" tongue and has an A-Shaped coupler welded on it to the tongue. Only one that I didn't make.
=======================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...