Photoday!!! Bluebird

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Thousands of miles of jagged Granite shoreline aside, nothing has had - and continues to have - a bigger effect on the coast of Maine, than fishing.

Sadly, most of the fish are gone - many species, due to overfishing. What primarily remains is a lucrative catch: The Maine lobster.
Lobster bake Rockport Harbor.jpg

We've seen huge landings break the record of the previous year, for about a half a dozen seasons. The boom has propelled the machinery of the fishing industry. There are now 3 million traps on the bottom maintained by bigger and more expensive boats. Young fishermen have invested heavily in a record breaking future.

Bluebird hauling traps in Pulpit Harbor. Sustainability is a new word in commercial fishing culture.
Bluebird Pulpit Harbor setting traps 2.jpg

Why the glut? A few notions you'll hear:

Most of the natural predators of lobsters; ground fish like Cod and Haddock, have disappeared due to overfishing.

Bluebird docking up to take on bait. Bait is supplied by large businesses that buy the lobsters.
Bluebird Pulpit Harbor bait dock.jpg

3 million traps are feeding stations. Are we farming vs fishing? Could be.

The Gulf of Maine is one of the fastest warming bodies of water on the planet: the rising temperatures may have fueled the glut? Possible.

Will the Gulf of Maine warm too much to support lobsters? Inevitable according to fisheries science (lobster migration out of Southern New England). The question is not if, but when.

2017 marked an end to the present record setting trend. Down $100mil. Not a huge drop, but significant.

No alarms sounded yet in the fishing industry...

Bluebird heads out to pull more traps.
Bluebird Pulpit Harbor heading out.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Will the Gulf of Maine warm too much to support lobsters? Inevitable according to fisheries science (lobster migration out of Southern New England). The question is not if, but when.
When my father's party fishing boats first launched, they made 25+ knots vs the 8 knots of his competition. He was bringing in a box full of 20 - 40 lb fish to their 8 - 15 lb fish. In about 4 years, all the old converted sponge boats had been replaced by high speed catamarans. My father use to frustrate some of his customers by heading in before the fish stopped biting and he never fished the same spot twice in a month. Not so of his competition. Now, everyone is back to catching 6 - 12 lb fish. And, not nearly as many. It really didn't take that long to deplete.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
Tom,
Thanks so much for the photo montage - making me hungry for lobster! Used to fish for them from Chatham, Cape Cod - got some inshore, but most were out in deeper water (8 pot strings). I believe New Brunswick still has a good lobster fishery - kinda out of touch.
My old Tartan 30 is now in Rockland - new owner (Mark). Keep an eye out for her - blue hull. He's learning, so be kind.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Exactly how much warmer has the Gulf of Maine gotten in the last 20 yrs.? I am trying to follow the rise in ocean temps, and forgive me but I have not paid attention to the Gulf of Maine. I should I love Maine lobster.

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
Hey Blye,
Must be like garlic - plant them early fall and harvest the next summer. What part of the bug do you plant? My garlic (planted last fall) is almost ready to harvest - leaves are starting to look brown.

Blye

Feb 11, 2017
Living in Canada almost 8 months is tough

Summer lobster is covered by health insurance IF you can prove that you have never had any issues with something