Alien Invasion?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
We were out this afternoon looking a waterfront lots. I have lived here for many many years. I have never seen this Alien Plant that was blooming all over the place, but near ditches and water.:eek:

The leaves have thorns and no body was seen nearby or cutting them down.
I dared not get out to take this photo. The Admiral quickly put down her window, take the picture.

We both quickly left the area.
Did the freeze cause the invasion?
Why were the Lots for sale, mysterious reason?
All of the houses had high speed power boats. Are they afraid too?
AlienPlant.jpeg

Look up, watch the skies....
Jim...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That's a thistle.
We have bull thistles around here. It looks a lot like a bull thistle with a pink instead of a purple flower.
They do sting, yet, a few changes of water and they are good to eat too. Goats love 'em.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Does this look familiar?
76828C13-9731-4E74-B8E3-115CEE3E9E72.gif
Bull Thistle·

Description

Cirsium vulgare(Spear thistle, Bull thistle, Plumed thistle, Scotch thistle, Roadside thistle; syn. C. lanceolatum) is a species of the genus Cirsium, native throughout Europe, Asia and northern Africa, but also present in North America and Australia as an invasive weed. It is designated an "injurious weed" under the UK Weeds Act 1959 and a noxious weed in Australia and in nine US states.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
@Will Gilmore can James harvest them and make Thistle wine?
Thistle is one of the plants on my list to try. I've read about them as a food, but haven't gotten to them, yet. I have no doubt they can be made into a wine. I just don't know what they taste like.
@JamesG161, if you haven't made dandelion wine yet. That's the one I'd recommend you make next. My wife and I have made three different batches and it's amazing. I tell people, whom I give bottles to as gifts, that they are getting a $350 bottle of wine, because if I sold them, that's what I'd sell dandelion wine for. I would market it as New England Garden Wine. We've named our brand, 'Blond Lawn':)
15216920041361360318721.jpg

There's a guy who publishes cookbooks about eating wild food called, 'Hunt, Gather, Cook'. He also has a Web site, if you are interested. https://honest-food.net

- Will (Dragonfly)

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Yep, a thistle. Have them in my backyard along with the clover. Playing havoc with my sinuses.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Jim, we have more of them than normal this year too.. I think they may be more plentiful because of the over abundance of rain this spring..
We used to eat the long stalks raw when we found the plants on camping trips.. I recall they taste similar to celery. We'd clean off all the leaves and stuff and peel the harder outer layer from the hollow stalk.. Use gloves when cleaning them!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
@Kermit,

I apologize, I was out of line. I love frogs.

If the short video, I attached, works, that's the Borgan Frog. She lives, and rules, in our front pound. Been there since before 2013. Named for the main character in a story my son and my father are writing together. The Borgan Frog is a philosopher that presides over the pond like a philosopher king.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Attachments

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Goats love 'em
Lot of old GOATS around SBO.;)

They taste like chicken.
That is it!!!
The way man has defeated his enemies ...

Learn to eat them!

eat the long stalks raw
You must be part Cajun.

Cirsium vulgare
Mr SBO Police Bot. I didn't say that! It was the "mummy".:p
______
Near water? Frog and Alien thistle soup? Garnished with Clover?
Serve with Thistle WINE?
_______
scraping the bottom of the barrel
I have you know those LOTS were a "Canal" based community for Boats and Hurricane Shelters.:ass:

Jim...

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The Admiral called them a ....
WEED

I asked her..

Do you know the difference between a WEED and a FLOWER?

I told her the SBO folks surely know that answer...

Do you?
Jim...