AMF Sunfish

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Hey Everyone,

Good morning fellow sailors! I wanted to start off today asking about AMF Sunfish, as I'd be extremely surprised if anyone on here hasn't at least encountered one. What's your experience with Sunfish, and what is your opinion on them? Have you ever owned one? What did you learn to sail on?

God Bless,
S.S.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
They are a blast! Simple to rig, responsive and you can push the limits because you just flip it back over and keep sailing.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Along with the Optimist pram, the Sunfish is one of the boats I first learned to sail on. I also sailed several Sailfish, which were quite similar but with no cockpit. See below picture.
Sailfish.jpg

Both are great for learning, and a lot of fun. My local sailing club has a small Sunfish and Optimist fleet for our youth sailing program

13938580_1491461100879358_8077724784851454_n.jpg

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Great little boat. Easily portable, car toppable, no tall rig, very little rigging, self baling. Pretty sporty too. I would guess it is more common in warm climates because it is a wet boat.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Great little boat. Easily portable, car toppable, no tall rig, very little rigging, self baling. Pretty sporty too. I would guess it is more common in warm climates because it is a wet boat.
Sailfish is even wetter without a cockpit. Real easy to slid off the deck. Lots of fun on a warm summer day in a calm lake.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
SFW2003 Start.jpg

Great little boats. It's what we use in our Club's Sail training courses for both kids and adults. Older boats you have to look out for deck hull joint separation, mast step damage at the bottom of the hole and waterlogging. Pic is SF Worlds Start 2003 in St Maarten.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I had one when I was a kid. I loved it. I did all kinds of crazy stuff with it. I scuba dove off of it. I had it out in gale force winds. I even sailed it from Cape Cod to Martha's Vinyard once. I don't recommend doing any of those things on a sunfish, but when I was younger & more foolish, I did do them successfully. When I came back in after the gale force incident, I had to straighten out the spars a bit.

That boat was bought new for $849 as an end of season special back around the late 1970's & was finally sold for about $500 in the late 1980's after having been sailed almost every summer day for those ten or so years. The only extra money I put into that boat was the purchase of a small Ritchie compass, 2 life jackets & a small anchor with line. It was a fantastic value & a great tool for learning basic sailing skills.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
I learned to sail on one when I was a kid, and had one too as an adult. Just an amazingly fun and easy boat to sail, while at the same time, it's suitable for experts as well. The boat is quite the hot rod and will plane with little effort. As much fun as she is to sail, there are some things to consider if you are considering buying one. The boat is wet; in any kind of chop, you will get wet. And since the boat is really easy to tip, you will likely get fully dunked overboard. And to get the most out of it, you need to be aggressive, which means a lot of heeling (see above) and hiking out. I've found that as I get older, I find it harder and harder to hike out that much. The abs of steel I had at 16 seem to be a thing of the past. Someone above described the Sunny as "car-toppable". I think that's technically true, but not really practically. You need two strong people to handle the Sunny, especially to get it high enough to put it on and take it off the top of a car. Not for me. I think you realistically need a small trailer if you are going to move the boat more than once or twice a year.

Having said all that, you should be able to find one in good shape for about $500. That's a lot of fun for a little bit of money. There are also a number of Sunfish clones out there, the Phantom being one of them. If you aren't going to race, you don't need a class-compliant Sunfish, so you can potentially widen the field of potential boats to include the clones.

Have fun!

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Wonderful boat to learn to sail. My only issues with it after sailing one for about ten years, and not already mentioned, In a large chop the rudder can come out of the water and you can't steer it, it will just round up or tip over. You can't reef the sail to stay in control in high winds. Finally no aux. power so if the wind dies while out a ways getting back can take time and patience. You can skull with the rudder and make some way, a canoe paddle is a good idea to bring along. Running down wind with a stiff breeze is amazing in these boats. They get up on a plane and take off, a real blast and one of my best ever sailing experiences. You could probably rig a spinnaker for light air days if you were really imaginative.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Having said all that, you should be able to find one in good shape for about $500.
If you are in the market, find out what the weight of the hull should be, as manufactured and with hardware, for two reasons.
1) As someone already mentioned, they can become waterlogged (water filled?) My dad sold his last year, and it was enormously heavy. He had verified that it was not a water problem by drilling, then filling, some holes - no water. Which leads me to:
2) They can actually suffer from sand infiltration, and sand is MUCH harder to remove from the interior of the hull. My dad sailed his last Sunfish regatta two years ago at age 80, and when it was over, two young men loaded the boat onto the trailer. They commented that it was the heaviest Sunfish hull, by FAR, that they had ever experienced. I finally figured it out last year after finding a post on the topic on SA.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 380 Los Angeles
I learned to sail on a Sailfish in the Boy Scouts and my brother had a Sunfish ( on a trailer ) that he often sailed and I had the opportunity to sail several times. They are a blast ( part of the fun is the wet aspect )

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Running down wind with a stiff breeze is amazing in these boats. They get up on a plane and take off, a real blast and one of my best ever sailing experiences.
...until the breeze gets up around 25-30 knots. Then they try to pitch-pole. That's a REAL interesting experience. Alternating reaches can keep you out of that little trap.