Lake Lanier sailing -- seeking opinions

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
Beneteau 37 JBM, St. Clair Shores, MI
Am looking at Lake Lanier as a possible new sailing location. My 37 Beneteau draws 4 ft. 10 inches. Am growing weary of the summer storms, stifling hot weather in the Naples, FL area. For those who have sailed on Lake Lanier, can you please tell me your experiences. Do you have to tack frequently due to it's limited size? Do you have to be constantly watching your charts to avoid rocks or shallow spots? What marinas do you recommend?

I may spend a few days up there this winter, reconnoitering the area and marinas.

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
Vegas:
We've had our boat on Lake Lanier for since 2003, and I've sailed on the lake on other boats since the late 70s.

Its main attraction is being the largest lake close to the northern suburbs of Atlanta, which makes it one of the most heavily used Army Corps of Engineers lakes in the country. The sailing area for a boat your size is from Buford Dam at the south end up to Brown's Bridge, about 12 miles as you follow the bends in the lake, with many side channels and some islands. The water is up to about 145 ft deep, although the depth does up and down with the droughts and the COE policies on releasing water for downstream purposes. Right now we're down about 5.5 ft, and it's been fairly consistent this summer. The slopes under water from the shoreline are mostly steep so you can get fairly close to shore in most places, and only have to watch out for a few (usually marked) shallow spots as the lake goes down.

For marinas for a 37 ft sailboat I recommend you look at Holiday, Aqualand (where we are) and Sunrise Cove. These are very large marinas with floating docks, suggest you use Google Maps satellite view to get an overview. The first two are dominated by power boats (lots of big houseboats that just sit there) while Sunrise Cove is maybe 75% sailboats, but is also the furthest north. There is a Oceanis 370 sitting next to us in a 40x15 slip at Aqualand, which runs about $3300/yr plus electricity, but prices are similar at all three of these marinas, and you have to call them to see what slips they have available. Aqualand also has a self service boat yard with 25T travel lift and some good contractors if you want to hire work out.

There is also a private yacht club (pricey) near Holiday and a racing oriented club with a smallish marina north of Aqualand.

Sailing is year round if you dress right, and the best winds are spring and fall. There are summer thunderstorms to watch for, but you can see them coming and take appropriate action.

Let me know if you have more questions, and give me a ring if you come up this winter, maybe we can go for a sail.

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
Beneteau 37 JBM, St. Clair Shores, MI
Excellent info, Ed! Thank you! Will contact you when we plan a visit up there.

Ted

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I have to make a plug for Lake Guntersville, big area and connected to the gulf and the inland loop with the TN river. Is there anyway to get out of Lake Lanier like over to TN river? I see lots of boats for sale but figured wold need to ship them to Lake Guntersville.

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
I have to make a plug for Lake Guntersville, big area and connected to the gulf and the inland loop with the TN river. Is there anyway to get out of Lake Lanier like over to TN river? I see lots of boats for sale but figured wold need to ship them to Lake Guntersville.
Lake Lanier was created by a dam on the Chattahoochee River. No way on or off except by trailer.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
thanks, there seem to be a lot more sailboats for sale on Lake Lanier.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Southeastern USA reservoirs are not what I would call sailing destinations. They are more sailing desperations for those who live in the area. Too hot and not enough wind in the summer - we call it "bob and bake." Too cold and miserable in the winter. Spring and fall are OK weather conditions. Some reservoirs are low in the fall; some are choked with milfoil. Check the racing schedules for Lake Lanier sailing clubs; you'll get an idea of the timing of the two sailing seasons.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Lake Murray in South Carolina has great sailing. Yes, we have hotter-n-hell summers. Winters are generally mild. Our bimini helps a lot. Air conditioning is helpful, too. We like Lake Murray a lot. @RobertLangdirect moved here from somewhere in the northeast. Maybe he would give you his take on it.