Wing keel Passage 42

Feb 21, 2014
Hunter Passage 42 St Andrews Scotland
Hello again everyone. The harbour I keep Casper at in Scotland recently had a failure of the inner harbour locking gates and Casper touched bottom bending one of the wings up on the keel. This I would like to straighten but, wonder what the wing material is and, how best to do it?
Also, I just posted a 3 minute YouTube vid of my sail to Belgium France & London some of you might like to see. The poster's name (me) is William Smurthwaite or, Hunter Passage 42. Any advice on the keel wing I would appreciate. Thanyou. Bill

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The keel (and wings) are lead as you likely know. Being malleable, the wing can be bent back. The challenge is figuring out a practicable way of doing so.

Personally, I wouldn't bother unless I was going to sell or noticed any effect on sailing characteristics.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Bill, ditto Don's reply. I've never had a need to do this but I suppose you could hire a welder to heat the wing back into its original position. The force needed to do a cold bend might become problematic, IMHO.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
How thick is the wing? You may be able to sledgehammer it back into a reasonable shape.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I know a friend had same thing happen and did nothing because he was afraid it would more damage or break,he said he did not see any difference in sailing.
Nick

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Ditto, Nick. You will likely not notice any difference sailing as the purpose of your wing is to stack ballast weight without increasing draft. There is hardly any lift provided by these wings and not much additional drag if misaligned.

Feb 21, 2014
That's great everyone, nice to hear from you again Terry.
I like Casper to be correct so, I will get heat applied to the wing when she is lifted for a couple of days. I've owned her now since July 2013 and what a beatiful sailing boat and admired by people where ever I go.

Thanks again. Bill

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I bent one side of wing on grounding. Haulout and tried straightening it using flame and heavy hammer. No joy. Risk of cracking it. Then a year or two later hit a submege rock and bent the other side. Now they're somewhat balanced. Called it Mantaray wing keel. Left it as is.

Feb 21, 2014
Oh!! That was bad luck Ken. By the way; that's a nice profile picture you have. I would still like to have a go at getting it straight. Might have to give it exessive heat and maybe put the a fork lift fork on it gently at the boat yard. Thanks Ken. Bill

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If you have any questions on what you are doing with the keel, it was made my Mars Metals in Canada. They will be glad to help you.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Try calling Mars before using any heat or hammer,I would not make the wing worse or damage.
Nick

Feb 21, 2014
That's a great bIt of information. Thanks Nick. I'll look them up on the internet. BILL

Feb 21, 2014
Hello again Nick & others.

I got in touch with Mars in Canada and they would offer me no advise due to liability concerns. Thanks anyway Nick.

Bill

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
talk with a metallurgist with photos in hand. When I called they did talk with me. Any customer service left there. Who did you talk with.

Feb 21, 2014
I emailed Mars and got a polite reply but, would offer no advice incase I held them liable for any mishap. I have since deleted the email but, it was the name given on their web sight contact that replied to me.
It has been a good conversation this and I have enjoyed reading all your helpful replies. Bill

Feb 21, 2014
Just a thought. Knotallthere, would you consider jumping your fence and having a quick word with Mars on my behalf as though it was your boat your talking to them about? Bill

Jul 25, 2004
Hunter 42 currently in New Zealand
Like Ken, my (1991) P42 has a bent wing keel. The PO had it at anchor and during an ebb tide it went over on its side. The wing is noticeably bent, and every time I have her hauled people ask about it and offer (unsolicited) advice. Wish I had a photo of it, but they are all on the boat (and I am not). I have never noticed any difference in the leeway drift between port and starboard tacks, nor any other differences in any handling characteristics.

I assume that any modification effort to "bend" it back will necessarily weaken the material in the wing itself and perhaps induce a problem that might cause a more significant structural issue. I have been quite happy to leave it alone considering the gravity of the (miniscule to non-existent) harm of leaving it how it is, versus the (unknown) magnitude of the risk of repair attempts. If you decide to go ahead with the repair, let us all know what you did and how it came out!

Good luck,
Paul

Feb 21, 2014
Thanks for that Paul. I will discuss it with the yard in Arbroath Scotland when I return from my work out in Saudi (around 28thSeptember) and, I will post a picture to you all before and, after if I go ahead.

Thanks
Bill