Wire/rope to be replaced with all 7/16 double braid - main halyard

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I'm confused...you are trying to attach a new rope to wire and pulling it back...?? Why not attach the new rope to the old rope and pull it forward? Sew the two rope ends together and a little tape for shape and pull forward?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'm confused...you are trying to attach a new rope to wire and pulling it back...?? Why not attach the new rope to the old rope and pull it forward? Sew the two rope ends together and a little tape for shape and pull forward?
Well that makes perfect sense to me....unless you want to splice an eye in before the swap. There are a number of ways to do it... as already mentioned. What's important is to make sure the old sheave will accept the new 7/16 halyard cleanly. On most boats that used wire to rope system, the splice and rope tail never go through the sheave/masthead... because of size difference.

Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
Me neither, I was able to remove the wire rope and replace with 7/16, now all lines are 7/16 so I only had to buy one spool of line

Jan 11, 2017
Hunter 37c Kingston
I have done this and went to the larger line size for hand comfort. The 33 is big enough that you can go up the mast in the water and change the sheaves. The wire to rope sheaves are double cut with the bottom cut of the sheave, cut for the wire size and the the top of the cut fit for the line size. It is not meant for the line size to seat the sheave under tension. If you run the line around and tension it, you will be forcing the line into two negative circumstances; one is that you are forcing the 7/16 ? line into a 3/16 slot which is hell on the outer braid, two you are now forcing the core to go around a radius that is far too tight for the line, weakening it on the exact spot where it is under the most tension. I strongly suggest you go up the mast, size for new sheaves (largest that fit) and then go back up and replace the existing ones with the new ones. I did have to shave (sand) a hair off of each side of the slightly larger sheaves to make them fit, but it was, not enough to make them too thin on the walls of the sheaves.
Back to the topic proposed I used a messenger line when I replaced mine stitched into the cut off tail of the line. Once I had pulled the line through, I then spliced a new eye into the halyard with a quick release shackle in the eye.