Hunter 38 - Saloon Deadlights

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 38 Auckland
Hello fellow Hunter 38 owners.
I have purchased Sirocco (Hunter 38 2006) more that one year ago. Absolutely love her! Finally found the yacht which suit me and my wife to do our coastal cruises, take part in all casual races and have comfortable life with all extras (compare with racing boats, which I had before).
Made number of upgrades/ modifications including recent installation of Raymarine Evolution Autopilot (happy to share my experience if there is an interest).
My next project is deadlights in saloon area. I do like to see water when sitting around dining table. I know this option is available on other Hunters (44DS example attached).
My question if anybody has done it and any information about deadlight brand, size, exact position to make sure that I will not go through any structural hull elements...
Drawings could be an advantage
Thank you in advance
Sergey / New Zealand

Attachments

Apr 19, 2016
Hunter Hunter 38 Lake Pickwick
Hi Sergey,
sorry can not help with your deadlight questions.
However, I bought my Hunter 38 (year 2005) also last year, I am very interested on your experience about the Raymarine Evolution Autopilot, which is my next Project. Especially I like to learn about the placement and mounting of the linear actuator if you used one and how you sealed the breakthrough in the deck towards the steering link.
I appreciate any info.
Peter / Memphis,TN

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 38 Auckland
Hi Peter
Thank you for interest - will get few photos this weekend to give you ideas. In couple words installation was a breeze!!!
And it works absoluetly great in all weather conditions.
Talk to you soon
P.S - I have installed deadlights - My Wife absolutelly loves it... Gives you another dimension to see what is around while sitting in the main cabin

Attachments

Apr 19, 2016
Sergey,
thank you for the quick response .Your deadlights do look great, I think at this point in time I will not even show them to my wife to make sure I can finish my priority projects;)
Looking forward to pics and info about the Autopilot.
Thanks in advance.
Peter

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 38 Auckland
Hi Peter
Please check attached self-explanatory photos of my installation.
Please note - you have to buy Raymarine ST1 to STNG network converter kit (pictured) to connect new Autopilot to existing instruments. Be careful about power which must be delivered from new NG network (you have to disconnect existing power to ST1 instruments). Also you have to keep all existing heads (I just hide connected Depth Instrument inside pedestal)

Attachments

Apr 19, 2016
Hi Sergey, this is great and very helpful, thank you very much for sharing.
I wish you all the best and always Fair Winds.
Peter

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 38 Auckland
Glad that it was helpful!
All the Best to you Peter
P.S. Check attached with my latest Instruments arrangement - I have replaced ST60 Wind and ST60 Depth with one Multi Instrument (no unit inside Pedestal...). New Pilot Display can show multiple data.
And remember - for racing or downwind courses use Performance settings - that keep boat very precise compare with Cruising... especially to prevent accidental jibes (we call it gybes in New Zealand!)

Attachments