Advice on How to Reattach Riveted Latch Posts

Jul 10, 2010
Beneteau 35S5 Mandeville, LA
Hello All,
Recently, my the latch "posts" for the deck hatches on my 35S5, (for lack of a better word), have broken loose and I now can't lock my hatches. My concern is that they were initially riveted to the aluminum hatch base and they are under a bit of load when the hatches are closed against the gasket. I thought about screwing them in, but think they need a bit more of adhesion to allow for the constant use of opening and closing. I'm not against screwing them in and using some sort of an adhesive, but also looking for opinions on which one to use with the plastic on aluminum configuration. Unfortunately, there's no access to the back of the hatch base, or I would simply use a screw with a bolt and problem solved. On these aging boat, (mine being a 1989), just wondering if anyone else has had this or a similar problem and found a sturdy solution. Thanks in advance and smooth sailing!

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Might be a fine application for the dreaded 5200 polyurethane mess.. drill out the old rivets, get some stainless ones to re attach.. rough up the bonding surfaces on the frame and on the back of the plastic lug, clean 'em up very well with acetone, .. put a little thin layer of 5200 on the bearing surface of the plastic then rivet it back together and let it cure for a week or so without putting much dog down force on the lugs.. after a couple of weeks, ya should have a pretty good tough lug..

Jul 10, 2010
Beneteau 35S5 Mandeville, LA
I appreciate the advice! Sounds like a "mess", but I figured the only solution would be! Thanks!