Install access hatch in seat

Marty

Aug 15, 2016
Hunter 170 Rochester, Mn
I would like to install a watertight access hatch on the vertical side of a seat.
What am I going to run in to once I cut the plastic surface ? Are the seats filled with foam ? If I remove some of the foam to make room for a battery am I going to create a structural problem ?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Marty. Batteries should be placed as low and near the center line as is practically possible in your boat.

Marty

Aug 15, 2016
Hunter 170 Rochester, Mn
Mounting that battery under my butt still won't add enough weight to counterbalance my crew on the other side of the boat.
Any insight on the questions I posed?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sorry I do not know the boats design well enough to comment. Take pictures may then be able to offer suggestions.
Maybe send the question PM to Crazy Dave on the forum. He is the wizard with Hunter boats. Also maybe better to post the query on the Hunter forum instead of the daysailer.

Marty

Aug 15, 2016
Hunter 170 Rochester, Mn
Took a chance and tore into it a couple days ago.
I cut a hole in the face of the seat for a hatch. Found about an inch of foam behind the plastic skin. Cut real easy with a jig saw.
Am constructing a mount for a W/M U1 Gel cell mated with a 4amp onboard charger and it looks like I can arrange a significant amount of storage in the process.
Picked up a Minnkota 55. Altogether it should be much less weight than the 2.5 hp gas motor I'm replacing.
I expect to have right at $500 in the project, about 1/2 of what that gas outboard cost.
I found that 2.5hp was too much power for my taste on the 17'

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Use the forum email. I have always advised to do that vs. on this site for safety reasons. Go to the upper right of the page and click onto your name. Another page will come up and click on private messages. You will get another page and click on where to send a private message. Simple and easy. put in Crazy Dave

Dec 5, 2016
Hunter 140 Scappoose, Or
I'd really like to see your pictures...I've been thinking about stowing the battery for my Minnkota too. One of these days I'll loose it and I'd really like to keep the battery in the boat instead of taking it in and out.

Thanks! Dogu

Marty

Aug 15, 2016
Hunter 170 Rochester, Mn
Not sure the best way to send them.
How bout send me a text and I'll text em back
507-261-3006