Sarasota Fla to Chesapeake Bay

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
BTW- don't rely on the spec sheet for your height above water. Go up and measure. Those specs sometimes do not include your anchor light or wind instruments. If you have 64' of bridge clearance you need to know whether you are really 63.5 or 64.25.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
My specs claim to be 55 mast hieght and guess what that was the top of mast and not counting the anchor light or wind machine or VHF ant and yes measure.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I would also agree that a shake down sail a few times is a very good thing with all the systems that a
49 must have and learning what does what is very important for sure.
I had some friends help me sail down from NY to Fl. so they could learn how to sail my boat.
And some times things stop working like my auto stopped working 2 days after we started and my boat was used 2 seasons before making the trip.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
First of all......go south. It's always faster on the outside (weather permitting) than on the ditch. But, if the weather is real nasty, then the ditch makes sense.

Jul 5, 2005
Irwin Citation Kilmarnock Virginia
thanks to everyone for the advice about the trip. We have confirmed the boat has a 67'8" mast height so the ICW is not an option. The plan is to go around Key West and pick up the Gulf Stream as far north as possible while watching the weather. Plan to do some posting on this forum as long as we have internet connection. Keep up if you have interest and any advise is much appreciated.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
My Hunter 50 (same sail plan as 49) with non furling tall rig was brought up from Tampa Bay to Long Island. Could not go under 7 mile bridge so had to go around Key West. Same boat with shorter furling mast can go under 7 mile bridge which may save a day.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
thanks to everyone for the advice about the trip. We have confirmed the boat has a 67'8" mast height so the ICW is not an option. The plan is to go around Key West and pick up the Gulf Stream as far north as possible while watching the weather. Plan to do some posting on this forum as long as we have internet connection. Keep up if you have interest and any advise is much appreciated.
When are you leaving?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
schedule is for a 3/30 departure.
Yeah--well, April should be a much better month for this kind of trip than January! There can still be nasty cold fronts coming through in the Spring, along with other weather. But, the overnight run to Key West, at least, allows you to pick a window and get down there where they're not as powerful. Just remember, there is a lot of shallow water along the west coast of Florida and around the Keys which could be of concern for the deep draft (7 ft) version of the H49 if that is what your friend has. Channels through some passes are not always as marked due to shoaling and sand movement into them--that is, even if you stay within the marked channels you could still hit. By the way--regarding channels--in case you have little experience, the markers should be sighted along bow and stern to avoid being set out of them onto a shoal. (Although GPS chart plotters have taken most of the fun out of doing that!!)

I'd definitely put aboard a copy of Coast Pilot #5, Chapter 4 (see at link below) and consult it b/f getting underway. (Also, Coast Pilot #4.) Be prepared for the possibility of facing strong easterly winds as you make your way east along the Florida Keys to Miami. Regrettably, east winds are contrary to the prevailing east-flowing Florida Current; so...steep wind chop and seas on the bow are likely.

https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/nsd/coastpilot/files/cp5/CPB5_E44_C04_20170321_1617_WEB.pdf

https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/nsd/coastpilot_w.php?book=4

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I wonder how our friend here is doing? Pretty windy along the southeastern US coast today by Windyty; but, favorable if heading north.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Claugerbaum, where are you now? Let us know as some are asking if you are ok. Please advise. Hope those old scallwags or the old pirates did not get you off the North Carolina Coast(humor)

Jul 5, 2005
Thanks to all my fellow Sailboatowners for the advice and concern about the trip. The trip is over and I can now scratch one item off my bucket list for sailing the Atlantic from the Keys to Chesapeake.
Three of us left Sara Bay Marina in Sarasota Fl. on 3/30/2017 for the trip to Deltaville Va. on the Chesapeake Bay.
Stopped at Longboat Key for fuel top off and pump out as unable to get to facilities at Sara Bay Marina. (low water).
Veritas is a 2017 49' Hunter drawing 5'6"

Jul 5, 2005
sorry, hit the post. Veritas also has a 68' mast which is why we chose to come up the ocean. The sail is on a boom furler. The furler preformed well however, the age of the sail caused some maintenance and stops for stitching.
Ran aground in Longboat Pass, got off with help from boat wakes and the jib. After leaving the draw bridge at Longboat pass, sailed down the coast to Venice where we had to stop for some sail repairs.
Good winds sailing around the Keys and we had easterly starting up the coast.
Stopped in Ponce De Leon for fuel and more sail repair. The clew of the jib blew out and we repaired with shackles and pins. Evening winds were in the 20s and Veritas hit 13.2 kts for the record speed on the trip.
Winds and weather was kind to us and from around Miami to Jacksonville when they turned NNE but were light and allowed good time for motoring.
Fuel stop at Ft. George Island Marina which was very nice and easy in and out to the ocean.
A stop in Beaufort SC was our last for a refuel.
We planned the trip to be about 8 days and that turned into 14 days. We were very blessed with the weather and had only on night with 6 to 7 ft. seas. There are some beautiful places to stop along the coast and I only wished we had more time. Advice for anyone considering the trip using the ocean route, take spare parts, double the time you plan for the trip, take advice from seasoned sailors that have been there and done that, and carry plenty of non perishable food.
And when you return, be careful when taking a shower, for at least 3 days you will be swaying from one wall to another.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Sounds like a relatively benign trip, with the maintenance issues remaining less than critical. Those are good learning trips, to remind us that backups and ingenuity are always important. And that the most dangerous thing on a sailboat is a schedule.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Glad to hear that you arrived unscaved, a point of note when was the last time you had your sails in a loft prior to your issues?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Congratulations! BTW, here's some advice (admonitions) from seasoned sailors that proved true--post #16; Gunni.
That is an ambitious time-frame, possible if the weather cooperates, you keep a steady drum beat and there are no problems with the old girl. I would call it two weeks and see if you can't show up early.

Post #50; Kings Gambit
...there is a lot of shallow water along the west coast of Florida and around the Keys which could be of concern... Channels through some passes are not always as marked due to shoaling and sand movement into them--that is, even if you stay within the marked channels you could still hit.

However, I wonder how a 2017 Hunter ends up with "aged" sails that blew out and required stitching.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Clauger. Congrats on a successful journey. Sounds like the trip was a good balance of adventure and fun with a bit of learning thrown in to spice up the experience. Them sea legs can be tough on you ashore. May even have you wanting more.
Thanks for the follow up.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Quote - However, I wonder how a 2017 Hunter ends up with "aged" sails that blew out and required stitching.

Yes how does this happen?