neutral or not?

pmac

Jun 13, 2015
catalina 27 Galveston
As owner of a1985 Catalina 27, my wife asked yesterday while sailing, "Should the inboards transmission be in neutral or not ?" I am sure this has been discussed in the past, but it got me thinking. I feel it should be in neutral but I could be wrong. It certainly wouldn't be the first time, just ask my wife.

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
I've seen the advisory that Ralph poster. Thanks Ralph. In addition, there are more modern packages that have the same, but sometimes different advisories. Call your tech support person to find the correct answer for your engine/transmission.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Try doing a search of the archives. This has been discussed extensively in many dozens of posts

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Yes, you are right this topic has been beat to death over the years. The findings are that some manufacturers advise to use neutral while others suggest the use of reverse. See what engine you have and follow the manufacturers recommendations.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Perhaps we could just start a discussion about the best anchor? :stir:

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I always wondered why there wasn't a way to post FAQ's. Click on a one-sentence description and get a list of the posts on the subject. I know, I know... that's what the search is for. But it seems people that post a new question don't even know about being able to search. So, I guess disregard this post???

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Last edited:
Dec 25, 2014
Catalina 27 Pasadena, Md
Then add folding prop or fixed, lots of variables. Yesterday was on a new to the captain Benetau 36 and was feeling a vibration, kicked it into reverse and it stopped, hadn't yet read the whole manual.

Jan 6, 2010
If you have a Hurth tranny, I've always read that it should be in reverse.
Why let your shaft & prop spin? This is unwanted wear-n-tear.

CR