Wind

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Now that sailing season is grinding to a halt for most of us.............. . We came across the (1992??) movie "Wind" a wile back and ordered it online (Walmart has it for one). It has some great sailing, somewhat of a plot, and Jennifer Gray. We recommend it as a very entertaining watch on a rainy day!!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Are you suggesting that women can be good sailors, too? lol.
Yep, I agree. A perfect rainy day movie on the boat.

Jan 6, 2010
I liked the sailing scenes & I believe it was the only movie about the America's Cup.

I especially liked the Polynesian style dance the crew did on deck.
I don't remember it as being a big movie though but, I'll watch any movie featuring a boat.

CR

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Are you suggesting that women can be good sailors, too? lol.
Yep, I agree. A perfect rainy day movie on the boat.
I sure am. I have NO doubt that Jennifer Gray could get my mainsail up.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="RussC, ... I have NO doubt that Jennifer Gray could get my mainsail up.[/QUOTE]

Especially the part where the big sail goes "WHOMP!"

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I was able to get a copy of the soundtrack by Basil Polidoris. I wish the movie had been more successful so he would have completed the score for an album. Many of the segments just end. Great music.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
It's kind of disappointing if you think it's going to be about Dennis Connor losing the Cup and winning it back. That's the premise, but that's where the similarity ends. But still, sailing and Jennifer Gray, what else do you need?

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
So, let's rank the sailing movies.
1. Master & Commander
2. White Squall
3. Mutiny on Bounty (Mel Gibson)
4 Dead Calm
4 Wind
5 All is Lost

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
1. Master & Commander
2. White Squall
4 Dead Calm
4 Wind
5 All is Lost
Interesting that you list these. I am going to begin rereading the Aubrey-Maturin series on our BVI trip this month. The movie 'Master & Commander' was pieced together from a few of the early books, not just 'Master and Commander. I think I have 20 total. I also have the biography of Adm Thomas Cochrane whose real adventures inspired the series.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
1. Master & Commander
2. White Squall
4 Dead Calm
4 Wind
5 All is Lost
If you remember in the very first scene of White Squall, as they were coming to the boat in the car one crew member said that another crew member was, "asleep in the sheet" (forward?). That ruined the whole movie for me. If the producers don't know the difference between a sheet and a sail, they probably shouldn't be making a movie about sailing!
There were some excellent sailing movies in the Hornblower series and the "Honor" series from the books by Macomber. I preferred Mutiny on the Bounty with Charles Laughton and Clark Gable to the Mel Gibson version. Men against the Sea was also a good movie about after Bligh left the Bounty.
Dead Calm was indeed a great movie, with Stormvogel as the star. My heart just ached when the spear went into the door, ouch! I saw her a few years back in Antigua and someone with not quite enough money was trying to bring her back to her former glory.
Don't forget Wake of the Red Witch and The Sea Wolf.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I bought the Wind dvd a while back. I got to admit, if it wasn't for the sailing scenes I would have threw it in the round file. If you want to see a good sailing movie check out Morning Light.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Finest Hours is good too but it's not about sailing. It's rescuing a tanker crew. Supposed to be based on a true story.

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
I was just given a 1930's documentary about sailing Cape Horn that my Dad had. Waiting for a stormy night to watch it.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
That was cool, thanks Russ. I miss those mono hull tacking duels and spinnaker runs that are missing from today's AC.

Regarding the "list" some one posted earlier... I would put the 1937 version of Rudyard Kipling's classic "Captains Courageous" near the top...perhaps #1. The major sailing sequence, where rival captains of two tall fishing schooners are racing home in heavy weather to sell their catch, is beyond exciting... it was filmed in unbelievable conditions that even today would be challenging. Besides the "boy coming of age" storyline, it also represents the genesis of yacht racing and how it was related to the real world sailor. This film is mandatory viewing for anyone interested in sailing.... or just good movies. There were two remakes of this movie.... the last a made for TV version starring Robert Urich in 1996. I have seen neither. Found the trailer.

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
That was cool, thanks Russ. I miss those mono hull tacking duels and spinnaker runs that are missing from today's AC.
As do I. technology is great, but it's lost it's soul IMHO.

Regarding the "list" some one posted earlier... I would put the 1937 version of Rudyard Kipling's classic "Captains Courageous" near the top...perhaps #1. The major sailing sequence, where rival captains of two tall fishing schooners are racing home in heavy weather to sell their catch, is beyond exciting... it was filmed in unbelievable conditions that even today would be challenging. Besides the "boy coming of age" storyline, it also represents the genesis of yacht racing and how it was related to the real world sailor. This film is mandatory viewing for anyone interested in sailing.... or just good movies. There were two remakes of this movie.... the last a made for TV version starring Robert Urich in 1996. I have seen neither.
Wow... and a cd is still available on Amazon. it appears to be the original version, as it's staring Spencer Tracey. I just ordered it. :thumbup: