What just happened??

Oct 4, 2007
Oday 28 Great Salt Lake Marina
What just happened?
I have an 1982 Oday 28 with a universal 5411 diesel. In 2007 I swapped out the motor with a rebuilt 5411 as I didn't want to change stringers or re-engineer the powertrain setup. The motor went in with no problem and it has been running well since then. I have changed the oil every year, and the fuel filters every 2 years. Last year I noticed that the water pump was leaking and the injector on the back cylinder was leaking also. So I planned to fix these 2 issues this spring.
Last weekend I took out the brand new Oberdorfer pump and all the fuel filters. I swapped out the pump and changed the filters. Bled the fuel system and she started up with no issues. I had also replaced the fuel return line as I thought that maybe that was the leak in the back injector. I ran the motor for about an hour, and the pump did fine and she sounded normal.However, the back injector was still leaking and the fuel was smoking off the back of the motor. So I started to look at getting the injectors serviced. In my research I found an article that showed the "5411" is really a Z500 Kabota motor, and the injectors are readily available and $44.00 plus shipping. Seemed like a great deal to me, so I ordered one. It got here yesterday and it looks exactly like the ones I have now. I measured and checked and it seems to be a perfect fit. So now I'm excited to get this project off the list.
At the boat I pull the old injector, install the new one and bleed the system. I make sure everything is tight and kick up the throttle and hit the glow plugs and fire it up. She stumbles for a second or two and then takes off! Runs smoothly and responds to the throttle just fine. I check to make sure I have water out the exhaust and I do. So I jump in and grab my spotlight to look for leaks and make sure everything is holding together. As I am looking at the back injector (it's not leaking!) there is suddenly a huge "WHACK" and then the motor starts knocking like it's coming apart. My heart tries to jump out of my chest and I pee my pants right there. In a huge panic I jump for the throttle and shut it down as fast as I can. It knocks badly all the way down until it stops.
I sit there for a minute, feeling my sailing season slipping away from me. I cannot fathom what is in store for me. My engine compartment seems like a deep dark hole that has just devoured my excitement for spring. So I guess I might as well check and see what was out of whack. I check the temperature gauge and it's sitting at 135 degrees just like it always does. I check the oil dipstick. Plenty of oil and I check it closely for metal. None. Check for water in the oil. None. I grab the belt and try to pull the motor over. It moves and I can push it through both the compression cycles. I am at a loss. For about 20 minutes I have no idea what to do.
So as I think about this, I figure that the only thing that changed was the new injector. So, with little hope I figured that I would just put the old one back and see if it hammers badly with that one, knowing that it couldn't be that and I am truly going to take a big hit on this one. So I pull the new injector, set the old one back in and tighten everything up. I say a small prayer, hit the glow plugs for 30 seconds, give her some throttle and hit the starter. I wince as she bangs back to life, skipping a little as I have just bled the system again. Then she takes off. I hold my breath as she comes up to speed, WITH NO KNOCKING! It's a damn miracle! I hold my breath for another 10 minutes and then start to relax just a bit. I throttle her up after 15 minutes and she is just running along happy as can be and the knock is nowhere to be heard. I sat there and watched her run for and hour and 30 minutes waiting for the knock to come back. I let her idle and ran her up to full throttle and she sounds just like she always has. Hope comes back and I say a small prayer of thanks.
Now, what just happened? Are injectors "blessed" to be in a specific cylinder? Did I get a bad injector? Is my motor happy with an injector leak and doesn't want to live without it? I am at a total loss, and am probably too scared to try to fix this stupid leak. Any ideas on what happened would be appreciated, and ideas on how to fix the leak would be appreciated also.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
it sounds like you got a bad injector nozzle.... but you must keep in mind, the new nozzle may look identical to the others, but if its metered differently, it could cause it to sound like that and will definitely cause problems... if it is delivering more fuel, or less fuel than the others, that cylinder will run rich or lean, and in either case, severely damage the motor if you try to run it under a load.
look for any identifying marks on the nozzles or take them both to a diesel pump repair shop and have them determine if they are metered the same.... and while your there, have them repair the leak in the perfectly good "old" nozzle...and keep running it.
its always better to be safe than sorry, as you have just found out... your a lucky man to get that second chance...:D

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'm pretty sure all the injector models for a particular engine look alike. But there are at least several different injectors for each application of an engine. A farm tractor motor may have the same basic Kubota block as does a generator or marine engine, but almost every other bit that goes into making an engine suitable for it's application, is different. Rings, pistons, push rods, fuel distribution pumps, injectors, turbos or intercoolers may all be application specific.
If your injector is leaking around the base, it is probably the compression washer. If somewhere else, then I'd service them all, keeping in mind the "black box theory". As for the knocking; diesel is the cylinder lubrication, so if the injector isn't functioning to this engine's specifications, then perhaps the cylinder wasn't getting enough lubrication. Perhaps?

Dec 26, 2012
MacGregor 25 San Diego
Diesels with the wrong amount of fuel will make awful knocking noises that sound just like a gas motor with a spun rod bearing. Hell my diesel pickup makes varying amounts of knocking noises depending on load and it's completely normal, but would scare the hell out of me in a gas motor. Sounds like the injector you got was either bad, or just for the wrong application. As was mentioned marine engines see a different type of loading from other uses and the injectors are a vital component in how the engine runs. I wouldn't expect one to make your engine run that badly, but it is a possibility.

I'd say simply a bad injector is much more likely. I can tell you from working in auto parts that every part you buy has been dropped or tossed across the back room at least 3 times. I'd return it under warranty and either get your money back or get another one and verify that the part number you are using is the same as the part number you are replacing.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Yep. Me? I would carry ALL of the nozzles to the diesel shop so they will be matched. Very important. Doesn't sound like anything wrong with the engine proper. Sounds like they are due anyway.

Which is a good 'tune up' option for anyone with an ageing fueler..

Dec 1, 2011
Catalina 1984 C30 Tall Rig Bow Sprit MD
Injector knock will have you ready for your engine to grenade. Various reasons for it to happen. Since it is over, most likely was a speck of dust or "thing" went into the injector and it took a few revolutions to pound it up and run normal again. Had it happen in one of my trucks in the middle of no where in Wyoming once. All I could think of was a week in the back country before anyone would start looking for me. It followed the writing of "this too will pass" (a useful phrase after eating a bad oyster too).

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
An injector that fires late will make a loud knock, because the fuel is introduced into the cylinder too late in the compression cycle and explodes instantly. Maybe something in the injector jammed it up and caused it to fire late. That's my contribution to the speculation.

Oct 3, 2011
Tayana 52 Jax
An injector that fires late will make a loud knock, because the fuel is introduced into the cylinder too late in the compression cycle and explodes instantly. Maybe something in the injector jammed it up and caused it to fire late. That's my contribution to the speculation.
Had the same thing with a Yanmar 4J, large knocking sound so shut down engine. Removed suspect injector and had it overhauled - all good.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
I'm no expert, but did you get paint chips or dirt in the intake of the injector prior to installing

May 26, 2013
Aquarius A23 Carlyle Lake
Sounds like a bad injector or the wrong injector. Might look the same but there should be numbers on the side of them they should match. If not have maybe napa cross refrence it to make sure its the right injector. The injectors are all timed differently even if they look the same so thats why you have to make sure you have the right one.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
If it knocked "all the way down to stop" then I'm thinking it is still injecting fuel (leaking) Given that the fuel cutoff was pulled that does not sound like a injector stuck in the open position but does sound like a bad one that just leaks. Since it started and ran fine for a while I'm thinking dirt in the injector or it broke.
Good luck

Oct 27, 2012
Hunter / Pearson H19 & 1987 Pearson 31-2 Tarpon Springs
Here is my two cents:

1) The new injector is a larger orifice thereby injecting too much fuel during each cycle which ignites with way more force than the others causing the resounding knock (which will destroy the engine).

2) The new injector is stuck open or defective in some other way causing the same result as above.

3) Not knowing how long it knocked, you may have not gotten out all of the air in that injector line and ran that cylinder dry for a minute causing the knock.

4) Again, not knowing the run cycle before this, you could have dry sumped the crank case.

5) You mentioned replacing a bunch of fuel system parts & filters and may have pulled some air or water into the fuel rails.

6) The fuel return line(s) may have been blocked causing fuel back pressure.

Nov 30, 2012
Oday 27 Halifax
don't overthink the problem

In determining your problem it starts with how the system works. The fuel pump sends the right amount of fuel at the right time. The injector is simply a poppet valve. When the highly pressured fuel hits it, the injector opens and allows the fuel to spray into the combustion chamber. The fuel ignites, you have combustion. Simple
But what is not simple is the relationship between the injectors and pump. They must match, not close, not good enough but match exactly. So you have either a mis matched injector or a faulty injector. My money is that the injector is wrong not faulty. It must have the following, same number of spray nozzle holes, same size of spray holes, (the holes are critical never try to clean them mechanically) same cracking pressure and same cc's of fuel displacement. What i would suggest is to take your old leaking injector to a diesel injector/pump rebuilder. They will either be able to repair your old one or give you the line on a correct injector.

Sep 12, 2005
Hunter Legend '45 St Claire Shores
J_Schoenfeld,

I reccomend that you take a more systematic approach to the problem and let the facts speak for themselves after you've looked into the matter a little closer yourself. I rode on diesel equipted M60 tanks for years while serving in the US Army. It seems that everyone immediately assumed that they had a bad fuel injector whenever their engine wasn't running properly. This is NOT to say that you don't have a bad injector, just let common sense and the process of elimination support that assumption.

Use the power of the Internet to provide you with Insight, Tips and Techniques such as this YouTube video on simple testing you can do for identifying bad injectors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDJoKIoSd-w

Also here’s a list off the internet pertaining to the 5 most known signs that indicate a bad fuel injector. Does sound like you have a sympton #2.

1. Abrupt Engine Power
It is easy to understand that when a fuel injector is clogged, the fuel supply will be irregular too. With such lopsided flow, the engine will fluctuate between low and high rpm’s causing it to deliver the power in chunks, rather than being smooth and gradual.

2. Engine Misfire
In case when the injector keeps on struggling against the clogging of foreign particles, a time may come when it might miss out to supply the fuel completely when it is required to. Thus, the engine results to give a compromising performance. The engine will misfire which can easily be felt while running. This is really a bad sign and requires immediate response because misfire would give rise to engine overheating and pre-igniting the fuel mixture.

3. Rough Idle

Damaged fuel injector will not only give weird problems while on the go, the effects will persist even when the engine is running idle. Instead of a smooth engine idle, it will be rough and irregular when the fuel supply is abrupt.

4. Leaking Fuel
Apart from those internal chokes, fuel injectors can turn out to be bad even due to external cracks developed on the exterior body part of the injector. This damage is common for those injectors fitted on to the intake manifold. These cracks can cause the fuel to leak from the body, rather than flowing through the nozzle, which can be seen and smelled easily. The leaking fuel, instead of being sprayed in atomized form, flows in the manifold in the form of droplets. This will cause the air fuel mixture to turn out weak, giving out poor engine efficiency.

5. Reduced Gas Mileage
It is obvious, that a damaged fuel injector would either cause the fuel to be wasted by leaking from the body or would supply excessive fuel when the internal springs are damaged. These conditions will undoubtedly lead the engine to run poor reducing the gas mileage.

Good Luck!

James

scamps

Sep 3, 2009
Endeavour 37 Tall Rig Bowsprit Pictou, NS
I had the same problem, lack of knowledgeable advice from local repair services I encountered a runaway diesel. This resulted in a engine rebuild, trying to source the problem of the engine knock. The last check made in my scenario was a pressure test of my injectors. This test revealed the source of my problems. I would suggest that you remove your injectors and take them to a repair shop that has the equipment to pressure test your injectors to factory specifications. I would then remove the high pressure pump and also have it pressure tested before considering an engine rebuild. Note: I went through the same scenario as you have indicated except that I had zero fuel leaks and oil leaks other than the infamous Perkins rear seal weeper. (Perkins 4-108)

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
All valid possibilities in the posts above. One other possibility is that there was some carbon dislodged by removing the old injector. The dislodged carbon can get stuck on the top of the piston and is compressed between the piston and the head. It would continue to knock as the engine is shut down. When the carbon cools it can loosen from the top of the piston and get blown out the exhaust in the next run cycle.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
The mechanics axiom: If there's a problem, go back to the last thing you worked on.

I have found this to be true way more often than not..

Mar 19, 2010
Hunter 1997 376 Ventura, CA
Just remember changing to one new injector will have a better spray pattern than a worn injector. It's better to change all injectors at one time to equalize your engine. Also make sure that new injectors are for your application.
check all injectors would solve the problem.
Good Luck
Gar

Apr 3, 2008
Lancer 28 spencer
My experience tells my you should bring the new injector to a good diesel shop and have it checked. It is quite common for stuff to fail either when it is first installed or when it is at the end of it's life. Who knows what went on to that injector before you bought it such as improper assemblyat the factory, dropping or improper storage etc.etc. . All diesels need two basic things. air and fuel which must be sent to the engine at precicely the correct time. If the injector sticks as one fellow mentioned because of a speck of dirt or rust in side it or because it wasn't assebled corectly or a dozen other reasons then the fuel spray could be delayed or just dribble into the cylinder. that delay will cause a change in timing of that cylinder. And a knock as the piston takes a beating because combustion comes too late.
Another possibility is that when you pulled the old injector out carbon from around the tip dropped into the cylinder and worked its way between the piston and the head.If that is the case then the problem has flown out the exhaust and you will not experience any more knock. But of course you will for a time live in constant fear because you cant locate the problem. Working on and around diesels for 40+ years I have experienced both of these problems from time to time with just the symptoms you described. These are the moments when the mechanics heart is tested. Truth is that if it was running good before you worked on it then it was most likely something that you did. That's a good thing.It makes it easier to diagnose.If the problem doesn't come back, then hit the plus key on your calculator.
Bruce

Nov 7, 2010
ComPac 27/2 Swansea
Hi:
Nothing wrong with the Kubota injector or glow plugs. I've using them in my M12 (same engine) for years. I even had the new and old injectors checked out by a local diesel shop. All four performed the same (there was nothing wrong with the two I took out). I wanted new glow plugs and injectors in the motor. Yes, the copper compression washers need to be changed each time you remove the injectors. Also set the tappets and it quieted the motor down a bit. I would suspect some kind of crude might have fallen into the cylinder and made a carbon knock until it got pushed out thru the exhaust port. I was surprised at the compression that these little motors make. Mine warm when tested pumped up to 480 lbs an the other was 505 lbs (within 5%). Don't know what else to add but I see no problem using Kubota parts. Another member of my sailing group purchased and engine water pump from Kubota and saved a bit of money as well and worked perfect. Good luck...