Pros/Cons of the 1997 Hunter 376

Nov 30, 2013
Hunter 376 Marina del Rey
I’m in the market for a Hunter 376 and would like to hear about the pros/cons of this vessel from those who have owned one. I will use it as a liveaboard as well as a boat to learn how to sail. I currently live on a 1984 Hunter 25.5 and when I moved onto this boat I’d hoped to use it to learn to sail, but it is, for the most part, inoperable. It’s been a great shelter and I’ve learned that living on a boat is comfortable for me and not something I want to give up any time soon.

I now need a bigger boat because the minimum boat length for liveaboards in Marina del Rey, CA has changed to 35’. I like the layout of the 376 and looked at a great one (a 1997) yesterday, but before I submit a bid, I want to know the real deal about this model.

Any and all info is welcome.

Thanks!

Sue

Mar 19, 2010
Hunter 1997 376 Ventura, CA
Sue
I have a 376 for 5 years and love it. We went from a 1985 31ft and moved up to the 376, very good move but get a survey the keels had an issue. But hunter repaired all the boats that put in for the recall. The only problem is the aft berth mattress needs replacing.
Good luck
Gary

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
I've had my '98 H376 for 12 years.

This has been a great boat. Moved up from a Catalina 30. The only issues with my boat have been the Anchor Hawspipe, starter relay problems, freezer/refridge seals. All the fixes for these little issues are found on this forum. I coastal cruise S. Cal waters out of San Diego. My boat is very easy to sail alone, and can handle a crowd too. Comfortable to live aboard, roomy for 37.5'. I did add a 2" foam topper mattress to the aft cabin, helped a lot.
Feel free to email if you have questions.
Bob

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 376 Annapolis MD
The main is very heavy. I replaced a winch with an electric winch to raise it. It is a big sail, you have to reef earlier than with most of the boats that I've sailed. This is a plus though in light winds.