Best way to remove Old decals from ACP hulls

Mar 21, 2018
hunter 146 Keuka Lake NY/ Jersey Shore
Have to remove her old name decals from the stern (they are in bad shape, & renaming)as well as her reg. numbers, I know I CAN'T use Acetone on ACP plastic. I've heard that regular old gas is okay to use, and won't eat it. Anyone have any ideas?

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
Use a hair dryer and a razor blade knife. The heat will soften glue and you can peel then off with the razor blade knife. Then clean the residue off with 3M adhesive remover that you can by in a auto parts store.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
You're probably dealing with vinyl lettering - it's on the surface. As Lake says, the adhesive is heat sensitive, and the ACP isn't very sensitive. On a warm day in the sun, you can peal those off with a fingernail. I'd avoid a razor knife as it can gouge the hull. Instead, use a blunter putty knife, which will also save your fingernails. Clean up any residue with a solvent that is less aggressive than acetone, such as common mineral spirits or hexane. That ACP is almost indestructible (much more than fiberglass gelcoat), but why take chances.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
ACP is a plastic folks. Any use of Acetone or keytones as I use to say will destroy it. Even Goo Gone may be bad. As Parsons said use a putty blade vs. razor knife. If Goo Gone or 3M adhesive remover look and read first and if anything against use on plastics, stay away. I am not sure about gas as that is an oil by product but could be any derivatives in it so ask someone who would know. I did use it a time or two but cleaned off any residuce quickly but not sure if used on ACP. Alcohol would work.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
I wished hunter didnt make up their own name for plastic. It's "Lexan". Acp is the entire hull including the fiberglass and foam sandwhich.

https://www.acplasticsinc.com/informationcenter/r/what-is-lexan

Good stuff there.

Cars use this stuff all the time, so the surface has to be resistant to gasoline otherwise the paint would be at risk.
I used mineral spirits to remove the pin strip decal running down the waterline and also to removed the hunter logo residue. Dock rash was too much for me to look at. I painted the entire hull below the gunnals and replaced the decals. No side effects noted.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I've used WD40 effectively to remove adhesives.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I wished hunter didnt make up their own name for plastic. It's "Lexan". Acp is the entire hull including the fiberglass and foam sandwhich.

https://www.acplasticsinc.com/informationcenter/r/what-is-lexan

Good stuff there.

Cars use this stuff all the time, so the surface has to be resistant to gasoline otherwise the paint would be at risk.
Um. It's actually Luran, More specifically Luran-S. BASF first formulated it make car bumpers.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
+1 on a blow dryer & a plastic putty knife. +1 on alcohol. I have also had good results cleaning ACP hulls with Fast Orange. Try to avoid gasoline. It leaves a dingy yellow/brown stain if you don't get it off quickly & that stain is VERY hard to remove.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Um. It's actually Luran, More specifically Luran-S. BASF first formulated it make car bumpers.
Yep my bad. I am corrected. Lexan is polycarbonate plastic, luran is ASA plastic. They are very similar and can be blended together. Polycarbonate is less prone to cracking :D.