Packing gland packing size 2003 Hunter 356 Yanmar 3GM30F Goretex

Dec 22, 2012
Hunter 27-3 103 Gables By The Sea
Any one know the size packing for this gland. Also, any comments on the goretex packing material. I've been told it is literally dripless. 'Not a fan of the dripless seals that can't be repaired/replaced without taking everything apart. I had a PYI on my last boat and after awhile lived in constant fear of the bellows exploding. A little drip is better. Especially when you consider you can't do anything with the boat in the water. Has anyone tried the Volvo dripless seal. I think that is what Beneteau used before the saildrives.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I've used the gortex and You can go nearly drip less. You do still need to maintain some water seepage but it's very low.

Although I did go the other way from you and went to a PYI and am very happy with it. Just have to inspect the bellows periodically to make sure the rubber isn't deteriorated. It's on my pre trip check list so it gets looked at regularly.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
I have had the goretex on my Catalina 310 for about 3 years now and it is dripless. Completely. I know you are "supposed" to have a slight drip but mine does not and never gets warm. Have put probably 250 hours on the engine since the goretex was installed and it has been flawless and maintenance free.
bob

Dec 22, 2012
Hunter 27-3 103 Gables By The Sea
Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone remember the packing size?

Sep 30, 2007
hunter 356 little river
Can you repack the stuffing/box gland while the boat is in water. Its been a few years since I did that job.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
You can. You may get some water in through the tube, but you can do it. I have seen people wrap some heavy twine or waxed string around the shaft at the stuffing box after they backed the nut off (to hold back the water) while they clean out the old packing and repack the nut. Then remove the twine, and put the nut back on.

Greg

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
You can. You may get some water in through the tube, but you can do it. I have seen people wrap some heavy twine or waxed string around the shaft at the stuffing box after they backed the nut off (to hold back the water) while they clean out the old packing and repack the nut. Then remove the twine, and put the nut back on.

Greg
I used the twine trick + lathered the twine and opening with marine grease. Stopped water intrusion completely, allowing me to clean the old material out, go make a cup of coffee, and install the new packing in. Grease and twine removed for putting the nut back on let water in but only while I screwed the nut and adjusted it. On attached picture you can see the cotton twine, the blue marine grease and no water coming in. On bottom are the 3 old pieces of flax removed. Water droplets seen are from time when nut was backed out before I put the twine and grease.

Attachments

Last edited: