Water pooling by traveler on H23

Aug 30, 2016
Hunter 23 Tyler
Hey all, whilst cleaning my new-to-me h23, I noticed there is a lot of pooling in between the traveler and companionway area. While there is a very small drain area on either side of the traveler, it's so slow that a lot of junk collects there.

Has anyone raised or relocated their traveler to help alleviate this issue?

- Ben Watson
Tyler, Texas

BTW, I am a brand new sailboat owner, and excited to connect with this community!
IMG_6773.jpg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
clean out the leaves and any residue around and under that traveler. When you say a small drain, are you talking about the area at the end of the traveler or under the traveler bar? Clean out and take another photo

Aug 30, 2016
Hunter 23 Tyler
clean out the leaves and any residue around and under that traveler. When you say a small drain, are you talking about the area at the end of the traveler or under the traveler bar? Clean out and take another photo
I have already cleaned it out. Due to the weather, it just filled up with leaves. Yes, the small area near the corner of the seat. It drains, but it is very minimal.
Is relocating it a bad idea? I'll try to snap cleaner a pic tonight with some water standing to show you what I mean...

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
I have the same issue on my h23. I "think" there is a small drainage area under the traveler tracks. The previous owner had the same problem and told me to simply dry out that area after "washing" the boat.

That is the only area that collects water on the whole boat from what I can tell.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
There should be two shallow drainage channels in the glass under the traveler, about 1/4 of the way in from each end. These get clogged with debris, or a previous owner may have put caulk in there. Poke something through. Should help.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
BTW, welcome to sailboat ownership. I'm sure you'll be happy with your new lifestyle. Just be sure to spend more time sailing than fixing. Get your boat in sailing shape and take her out. You can get the details done anytime. Don't sweat them.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 26, 2010
Hunter 23 South Haven, MI
I don't have a solution either, but as a fellow H23 owner, I have the same issue. You can see the little "gutter" in your photo that is supposed to drain the water out. But ANY debris gets caught in those gutters (there's one on starboard and one on port). I just wipe that area with a rag pretty much everytime I get on the boat. It's not optimal, but short of raising the traveler, I haven't figured out any easy fix.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Jalepeno made a good suggestion. Boy my brain failed on this one as I use to that. Thank you sir. It is refreshing good suggestions are coming out from others.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Hi volks
Curious -Did you ever do this?

So a couple weeks ago I almost pulled the whole traveler out to do something like this but stopped myself - it seems like a hornets nest of problems - also theres about 20 nuts and bolts holding on the traveler thru into the cabin.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I removed mine to install a better system for the main sheet attachment. You have to peel back the mouse fur covering a bit and have 2 people, one to hold the nuts inside and the other in the cockpit with a screwdriver. Assuming no one glued your track down it is easy to remove. I used either Boat Life Caulk or maybe butyl rubber (I cant recall) to seal the screw holes when I reinstalled it.

Oct 20, 2018
Hunter 23.5 St. Petersburg
We have the same problem and it rains a lot in Florida. I put strips of rubber under the hatch parts so they aren't in the water. No matter how often you clean out the tiny drain holes under the traveller the water still pools under it. Also, our boom was so violently moved during the last storm it broke the pin on the car and the shackle was separated from the car. Need to buy a new car and to replace it will have to remove the traveller. Not looking forward to that. BTW what is the size of the car? Does anyone know? Is it 22mm?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
There is a difference as one boat 23 wing keel and the 23.5 water ballast are different. I need both of you go inside and look at where the nuts are. Is the cabin ceiling pulled in. Please advise as this would be indicative the head liner has a void between head liner and deck. Can you supply photos

Last edited: