Salon table

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 450 Gulfport, Florida
The salon table is seldom used and would be easy to lift up to the cabin top to open up the area. There is no provision to keep it there. A mention from a brokerage advertisment when the boat was on the market previously said there was an ingenious method of positioning it up high athough there is nothing to indicate what that marvel might have been. I thought about a nice compression collar but incorporating a means to stop rotation is a little tricky. A hole through the compression post with a nice pin would work but I am reluctant to drill through the post. Anyone have a creative approach?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Are you suggesting that you would like to raise the salon table to a position at the ceiling of the cabin?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
On my B235 I drilled a 3/16 hole in the post, both sides, for a long pin. Or an Allen wrench.

Sep 10, 2012
Yes, if it were to slide all the way up the compression post it would be completely out of the way. The idea of drilling through the post is just a little unnerving! There doesn't appear to be anything inside the post so no worries there. I was just wondering if anyone had come up with something else.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
My 40.5 hunter has a clamp (and counterweight/sheave) that works like a hose clamp. Loosen it and you can raise or rotate the table. tighten it and it stays in place. The counter weight makes moving it up and down a snap BTW. No holes required.
On the subject of holes in structural members take a look at some of the masts around you. LOTS of holes in them and they don't fall down. FWIW

Sep 10, 2012
My 40.5 hunter has a clamp (and counterweight/sheave) that works like a hose clamp. Loosen it and you can raise or rotate the table. tighten it and it stays in place. The counter weight makes moving it up and down a snap BTW. No holes required.
On the subject of holes in structural members take a look at some of the masts around you. LOTS of holes in them and they don't fall down. FWIW
Structurally it should have zero impact I just hate marring a nice brushed piece of stainless although it seems my best choice at this point. I am guessing there is not a picture, was it a OEM install?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Just a nit, but even though the term "salon" is gaining in popular usage, mostly among the powerboat fleet, the correct term is "saloon." This, from the Boater's Encyclopedia:
"Many boaters seem to find the word cabin rather lacking the elegance and significance they associate with their boats. Therefore, they refer to their cabin as a salon, a fancy French term for reception hall or a room filled with perfumed finery.Hairdressers, beauticians, and couturiers have salons; sailors have a saloon. The Encyclopedia of Nautical Knowledge defines a saloon this way: “In a cargo and smaller passenger vessels, the main cabin, or that serving as a dining-room, assembly room, etc.” The Oxford Concise Dictionary describes a saloon as a “public room for first-class or for all passengers on ship.”The only dissonant note is sounded by Webster’s New World Dictionary, which allows the use of both salon and saloon but then confesses that saloon is “specifically, the main social cabin of a passenger ship.” Nevertheless, whereas most sailors use the word saloon, most powerboaters seem to prefer salon.It’s possible that some boaters use the word salon because they don’t want their boats to be associated with saloons where strong alcoholic drinks are served and rough men indulge in fisticuffs. But a better choice than either salon or saloon would be cabin. What could be simpler or more correct?"​

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
well the OEM install did cut a slot for the counterweight one.