Oday 23 core repair pics and leak question

Nov 8, 2016
Oday 23 SF North Bay
Hey all. I recently purchased an oday 23. I've gone sailing on it a few times now in the San Francisco Bay Area. Recently finished recoring the deck behind the mast. However I have noticed a large amount of leaking within just a few hours of sailing. Water would come up above the floorboards. I did see that the through hull on the right rear was left open to the water. However there is also a decent amount of spider cracking on some portions of the hull in general. Any tips for identifying the leakage? I have plugged the through hole and I'm planning on taking it out again. I have two pumps on board plus a manual backup. Thank you!

Attachments

Jul 5, 2010
Oday 22, Mariner, Challenger 15 Michigan
If it leaks while sailing but not at the dock, it may be the centerboard pendant tube. My 1980 O'Day 22 would only leak under sail but not at anchor. Water comes up the tube when sailing with the board down especially when sailing close-hauled but not so much with the board up and sailing downwind.

Nov 8, 2016
Oday 23 SF North Bay
If it leaks while sailing but not at the dock, it may be the centerboard pendant tube. My 1980 O'Day 22 would only leak under sail but not at anchor. Water comes up the tube when sailing with the board down especially when sailing close-hauled but not so much with the board up and sailing downwind.
Thanks for the tip. Did you fix it, and if so how?

Jul 5, 2010
Oday 22, Mariner, Challenger 15 Michigan
I found that the factory tube ended an inch or so below the opening into the cockpit. I replaced it with a longer piece of PVC tubing.

Nov 8, 2016
Oday 23 SF North Bay
Alright. The hull looks pretty tight to me, so I'm thinking it is likely one of the two through hulls or the center board tube.

I don't see an easy way to check the centerboard much on the trailer. I might opt to dive around it or ask about how expensive a lift and check would be at a marina.

Nov 8, 2016
Oday 23 SF North Bay
Just updating this thread for posterity: The leak was indeed from the through hull under the cockpit on the starboard side. As for the center board through hull - it looks as though the factory or someone just after buying it glassed all over the post.
This boat is dry dry dry, and the recoring, while it isn't visually perfect, is strong as an ox. Really glad I did it.
Sailed it outside the gate, and new mainsail on the way!

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Happy you found the leak. I'm really happy I just had a very small area under the mast step, on our '78, to repair as far as the core goes. You did a nice job. Is that the original mast? The spreaders look different than ours. Looks like you are having fun. We enjoyed the bay a couple of weeks ago with a sail from Alameda up to Benicia for a couple of nights on our friends Cristina 40. We will probably get up there again later in the summer. Where do you sail out of?

Nov 8, 2016
Oday 23 SF North Bay
Happy you found the leak. I'm really happy I just had a very small area under the mast step, on our '78, to repair as far as the core goes. You did a nice job. Is that the original mast? The spreaders look different than ours. Looks like you are having fun. We enjoyed the bay a couple of weeks ago with a sail from Alameda up to Benicia for a couple of nights on our friends Cristina 40. We will probably get up there again later in the summer. Where do you sail out of?
Then you sailed right past me! I just put my boat in Marina Bay in Point Richmond after its inaugural sail a few weeks ago from Petaluma. My boat definitely had deferred maintenance going on, but she's getting to be almost proper these days, after almost 2 months of non stop work to make her seaworthy and safe as I can. Have no idea about the mast or the boom for that matter. Look me up on facebook, linkedin or message me here if you want to ever stop by.