Marina Theft Getting Crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Cherubini 37c HULL#37 Alameda
Heads Up !!!!! Here in the SF bay area (Alameda to be specific) There has been a huge increase in marina related theft activity. Even the parking lots are becoming targets more and more. Boats, motors, electronics, hardware, flag poles, life rings etc. It doesn't even matter if it locked, bolted down, glued. If the thieves thinks its worth a buck they'll take it. Recently a boat owner walking his dog in my marina noticed an outboard motor in a dock cart hidden in some bushes by a house. Apparently the thieves had gone to get a car and stashed it. Over 18 motors have vanished in a short time. Another boat owner had the wheels stolen right off her car parked directly under a light directly in front of the harbor masters office. I have since taken the time to replace my locks with bigger, better ones and removed all items from the deck and cockpit of my boat that would tempt a thief. A month ago my car was broke into. I make a habit out of making sure nothing is left out in the open and still they broke in and rifled though my glove box and console compartment. I'm sure these type of activities are happening all over the country so please be more aware of who is hanging around and don't allow tailgaters to follow you through the gate. If you see anyone that looks remotely suspicious or out of place, let them know you are aware they are there. Take a cell phone picture, write down a license plate # and don't hesitate to call the Harbor master or even the police. No one is going to protect our belongings for us. All we have is each other in our collective boating communities so be aware of who is coming and going. Thanks

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I am not in Alamed, but Coyote Point. Thefth is not as bad but it is noticeable.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
PK,

We're down the estuary at the Oakland YC and have been hit hard too. A number of thieves were coming from shore when the tide was extremely low. They walked across the mud and onto the docks. We've lost a number of outboards (maybe 7) this past 12 months; one kayak and one pressure washer. Some were unlocked (easy pickings) while others were taken with bolt cutters employed. Luckily a member saw the thieves taking one kayak out the gate and scared them off (driving a white van). A second one was on the dock with its cable already cut. We just have to keep vigilant.

Our gates only lock on the entry side. I think if you had to use the key to get out as well it might curtail the ones who come by land. We don't know how many might actually come by water.

Jan 22, 2008
Cherubini 37c HULL#37 Alameda
PK,

We're down the estuary at the Oakland YC and have been hit hard too. A number of thieves were coming from shore when the tide was extremely low. They walked across the mud and onto the docks. We've lost a number of outboards (maybe 7) this past 12 months; one kayak and one pressure washer. Some were unlocked (easy pickings) while others were taken with bolt cutters employed. Luckily a member saw the thieves taking one kayak out the gate and scared them off (driving a white van). A second one was on the dock with its cable already cut. We just have to keep vigilant.

Our gates only lock on the entry side. I think if you had to use the key to get out as well it might curtail the ones who come by land. We don't know how many might actually come by water.
The motor in the dock cart found in the bushes was from Oakland Yacht Club. I'm in Marina Village. Next door. By the HM Office. Its getting really bad over here and the cops told me it wasnt much better over where you are. We have the same drive by guard every hour or so but they just watch for him to leave and they know they have lots of time till he returns. Theres no cameras. Cameras would help to see who's doing it. Being so close to the portal doesn't help either. It used to nice and quiet around here. I may have to move back over to Grand. They have a night watchman walking the docks and the parking lot.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Allan1210.. answer to your last statement: 1 if by land.. 2 if by sea..?? ohhh wait that was in Boston..
couldn't help it

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
My marina is in the small town of Pepin, WI where everybody knows what everybody else is doing. The town kids mix with the marina kids.

Theft is not a problem here.

Jan 28, 2012
2006 Hunter 33 Santa Barbara
Almost no Security in Santa Barbara

In Santa Barbara there is some theft, and some vandalism. Recently someone released all the dock lines of a boat on an end tie during the night. Luckily it was found in the morning - pointing in the wrong direction, and secured to the dock just by its electrical cable!!

There is almost no security here even though there is a big lockable gate. There is a whole large group of non-tenants in a junior sailing program that have free access. And the practice is for anyone with a key to let anyone and everyone in at any time the gate is opened. When I approach the gate there is almost always multiple people just waiting for a keyholder to let them in. Sometimes it may be another slip tenant who forgot his key, and sometimes it may be homeless person wanting to go through the garbage for bottles and aluminum cans.

I once tried adopting a policy of not letting tailgaters in, but the culture of open access is so ingrained that all it did is make me look like a grumpy old man, and the folks got in a few minutes later anyway.

Another time I was arranging for someone to work on my boat and I told him I'd meet him at the gate. He just laughed and said that wasn't necessary - anyone can get in.

I spoke to the harbor patrol who said that they could fairly easily put up a video monitoring station of all entering and leaving, but when they proposed it some time ago there was a loud complaint by tenants who didn't want to be watched by Big Brother (perhaps people who are living aboard without permission?)

Do you think the harbor admin. can be held responsible for damage if they don't provide reasonable protection? I think we are paying for security in our slip fees, and the appearance of a big gate would reasonably give slip holders the impression they were protected.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
The best marina security I know of is liveaboards. Spread them out around the marina and you don't have a lot of unwelcome intruders.
But we all know that it's getting harder and harder to find marinas that allow liveaboards; ain't progress great!

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME
What do you expect... It's California. Not so much in Maine... our season is a couple of months long... and we all have guns. Lobstermen carry two.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
What do you expect... It's California. Not so much in Maine... our season is a couple of months long... and we all have guns. Lobstermen carry two.
Exactly. Why does CA lead the country in people leaving to go elsewhere? just one more reason.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Hmmmm, I don't hear of that sort of thing in gun toting Florida either. Sounds like california is going the way of venezuala.

Aug 28, 2012
Wavelength 24 Columbia, SC
Google "trailcam" to see the motion activated cameras you can buy. I am happy with my sub-$100 Primos. They are intended to let a hunter find out when a deer or other critter comes to a spot. Some have infra-red flashes so they take pictures at night without giving away the camera's position. Nearly all include a date and time in the photo or short video. Camoflage your trailcam with pine needles, a bird nest, or whatever makes it hard to spot. I like putting mine in a dark place (like in a pipe or trash can on its side) so it is hard to see yet has a clear view of a boat or gate. Encourage others to do the same. When thieves begin being identified and prosecuted the theft problem should diminish. Put out a dummy camera or two and a security company warning sign. Anything that distracts or worrys the thieves should help.

Br3nt

May 14, 2011
C&C 39 San Francisco
I'm over at Oyster Pt and haven't heard of any problems there yet. Maybe I should thank the liveaboards!

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 35 and Mariner 2+2 Alexandria, VA
Here in DC, I have a buddy who heard intruders on deck. Saw them trying to jimmy the lock on his outboard mount. He flew up the companionway in his tighty whities cursing at the top of his lungs and wielding an old Navy Chief's Cutlass. The would be thieves jumped onto the pier and one nearly knocked himself unconscious on the gate leaving the marina. The other just kept saying Oh sh_t...over and over again as they ran away.

Status
Not open for further replies.