It's really not free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2012
morgan 24' 1968 Babylon
Generally free boats should be regarded with great suspicion.... Check the bilges, check the rigging Check for bad repairs etc etc.

But I got awfully lucky this year and got a Morgan 24/25 that was babied for most of its life and is built like a tank. It sails wonderfully, has lots of room, smells good and is a lively solo coastal boat. Gradually Im bringing it to a ful restoration. But fact is no boat is free and if you are not judiciously putting money into it....it will make you pay eventually! thankfully I can do all the work on the boat with the exception of dragging it out of the water or lifting it...this helps.
Incidentally any illusion that a properly rigged sailboat is cheaper than a powerboat is not illusion but hallucination. But one evening gliding on a still channel pays for all.
:)

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
What better way to hold off getting old than to have a boat in need of "something".
My younger wife is convinced that this sailing will keep the family "CRS" illness (can't spell all timers) at bay. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Jun 8, 2004
Pearson 26W Marblehead
the best things in life are not free

Sailing was always expensive. It still is so is Golf or for that matter so are most recreational hobbies. I take care of the boat myself Store it in my yard. Its on a trailer Outside of what it cost to completely restore my vintage P26w which was four times what I paid for it in 2000, my expenses are about $2500 a year. Im satisfied

Nov 16, 2012
hunter 23.5 river wyre
Never realizeD that my wife had a list of projects that I never completed?

Some less sympathetic people might say that you are a tad selfish Bill.........:eek:

Not that I would, because very few things in life should come before a man & his boat!;)

Oct 27, 2012
Hunter / Pearson H19 & 1987 Pearson 31-2 Tarpon Springs
I have come to the realization that owning a free sailboat is very expensive!
A "free boat" is never really free, unless it was factory new, and even then you will get a bill for the sales tax and the IRS will take their 35% as gift tax...

But here it is; if you know boats, really know boats, or hire a qualified marine surveyor (that knows sailboats) you can do a fairly detailed assessment on what will be needed to get your "New2U Freebie" up to snuff.

Here is another thing to consider; what is your personal definition of "up to snuff"?
Are you looking for a restoration, or do you just want to get out and do some day-sailing, and aren't totally concerned with the "finer things", I personally am a perfectionist, so a clunker won't do it for me.

Another thing is what type of sailboat are you looking at; is it an under 20' day-sailor on a trailer with minimal rigging and accessories, or is it a 30 plus footer with a diesel that is seized, bad sails, worn rigging, and a torn up interior.

I've picked up many free or inexpensive boats in my time and depending on my intentions, I have mostly done OK; for example, I have picked up several 14-18 foot day sailor or race boats and had fun with them with minimal work, and then turned around and sold them. I picked up a 27' boat with a solid hull and good rigging with no engine, electrical or interior, the deck was soft and basically was a shell with very good rigging and sails and winches. I tore out the remaining interior and removed the deck, I (with some help) de-masted the boat and removed the cabin top and most of the deck and rebuilt it as a flat-top racer. It required some marine plywood (mostly yard scraps) and four months of long weekends to turn this into a bare bones racer.

Now if you lets say, pick up an older Hunter 30' and it needs to have the bottom peeled, the deck replaced, new sails, electrical and plumbing, engine and tanks, etc, you would be far better off seeking a vessel (at a price) that doesn't need but a good cleaning or at most a small amount of repairs.

I have a friend that just picked up a so called "bargain" 28 footer that is a total basket case, I informed him that he should have passed on it but he is determined to never get in the water. This piece of crap needs everything, and I really mean everything. In my estimation it would be cheaper to buy a 2 year old boat that needs a wash down and can go sailing, then to spend upwards of 20k and over a year of full time restoration to get what was never a really good boat (a 70's Buccaneer 28) not a single thing on the boat is really usable without either significant repairs or replacement.

You must decide if you have the knowledge, time, place, as you really don't want to have to pay yard rent while you tackle any rebuild project, and ALL of the necessary finances to tackle a project before taking ownership of someone else's dead project.

Good luck and smooth sailing,
Capt. Bob
Owner of a 1993 Hunter 42 Passage
Prior owner of: Pearson 30; Hunter 19, 23, 30 & 36; Catalina Capri 14.2 & 27; multiple Laser's, Sunfishes, and a verity of other boats (over 30 different makes, models and sizes)

Sep 4, 2012
Newport 17 17 Trailer
My goal for the sailboat, is that my wife will be comfortable on it,as long as she has a spot for her drink"beer" and a place to prop her feet up,while reading her e-reader. Long story short! She wanted a pontoon and she ended up with a sailboat! But look at her,she is so happy on the water

image-2033613579.jpg

The boat not my wife!!!

Jun 11, 2011
balboa 22 Milton, FL
As my wife told me when I bought a cheap fixer upper that is sailable. I'll know where you are. So far minimal dollars spent and time better spent on the boat instead of watching the boob tube.

Sep 4, 2012
Newport 17 17 Trailer
But my issue is that I can't afford sails! So I make my own,but that is something I enjoy,looking up and seeing the sails filled with wind,the boat slicing through the water. Greatest enjoyment I could have!

Jun 10, 2004
Oday 37 World's Fair Marina, Flushing, Queens, NYC
We kept meticulous records of our first boat, a Dawson 26. We paid 12K and sold her ten years later for 7K. In between we managed to pour more than 40K into her. On our next boat, the late lamented 1982 O'Day 37 CC "Yeraz" we kept no records whatever. We did, however, buy an ancient Mercedes 300SD for peanuts to use for one season to get back and forth to the boat. Well, it was a very old car BUT it was a Mercedes. Many K and seasons later, after we lost the boat, we gave away "Der Klunker." Now that I am no longer the slave of alternate side of the street parking I don't know what day of the week it is.

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
and she will take...and take...and challenge you all the way

Other than the financial challenge of owning a sailboat, she demands your time, money, trade skills and attention. Last night I spent 3 hours learning how to sew and stitching a buckskin suede grip (birthday gift) on my helm. Made me think of all the skills associated with sailing, here's my quick list; Computer programming (nav), Math, Meteorology, Finish carpentry, geometry, painting/varnishing, sewing, interior decorating, electronics, human resources, racing rules, coastal navigation los, boat detailing, carpet installation, maritime law/regulations, plumbing, waste management, drink mixing, fishing, cooking, docking, knot tying, on-going reading, writing, ect.

Mar 8, 2011
Ranger 33 Norfolk
B.O.A.T. = Break Out Another Thousand :D
I hear that a lot. . .I haven't found that to be very true, at least not yet. Well, When I replaced the rigging. . .that was ~$1200. . .but over it's ten year life expectancy I consider it affordable and that was 2 years ago :)

I've done a lot of fixing and upgrades, but it is mostly nickle and dime stuff (for a sailboat). . .I probably average $160 a month to fix the boat. . .slip fees cost me more @$200 a month :doh:

Jun 14, 2012
Oday 20 Colorado
I'm constantly irritated by boaters complaining how expensive boating is. Frankly, if you can't afford it, don't bother. If you can afford it, then spend your money with pleasure. It's as if everyone griping about the expense like someone if forcing you to own a boat. Rarely is that the case.

There are other hobbies, interestes, or 'passions' that are costly, but I rarely hear their constituencies complain as much as boat owners: hunting, fly fishing, flying, equestrian pursuits (riding, roping, jumping), and drag racing. Yet boaters somehow expect to buy this floating house, put it in the water, and never have to put another dime into it and are surprised that it actually costs anything more. Yeah, you picked an expensive hobby, so you better really love it. If you dont, find something else.

Lastly, I will say that most people who complain about the costs are those who:
1. Bought a boat too big for their budget
2. Bought a boat too old or new for their budget
3. Bought a boat for the wrong reasons
4. Didn't like boating/sailing as much as they thought they would and now are stuck with it.

There's a ton of ways to get out and sail. From timeshare boats, sailing clubs, boat rentals, etc. There's a fit for every budget. If you're complaining about the costs too often, you've picked the wrong way to engage in the sport.

Nov 23, 2008
Macgregor Venture 22 Hertford, NC
My "free" boat (1974 Venture 2-22) was to be a winter project. Finally, after 4 years, the hull is wet and sailing is as much fun as I once thought it would be. Now if I can just recover from the financial- -- - - - . Oh well!

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
Buddy of mine once told me...."Hard to feel sorry for a guy with a Yacht"....

Nov 16, 2012
hunter 23.5 river wyre
No not complaining. If I offended you I do apologize.
Hey Bill, most of us are reasonably intelligent on here & you shouldn't have to apologise because someone is too thin skinned.:cussing:

I personally enjoyed your contribution & as you are like myself on a fixed budget yet love the thought of owning & using a sailboat,
"HAPPY SAILING MATE!" :dance:

May 26, 2009
Oday 28 West Vancouver
My analogy: People who accept a free puppy, then discover that the cost of food, medical care, equipment, licences and boarding are the same as they would be for a carefully chosen animal purchased with forethought. Even a $2,000 purebred, amortized over 10-15 years, will not be expensive by comparison.

Boats, puppies, and casual dates should be approached similarly: Look them over, study their history and special features, and decide if they are worth the commitment. If not, scratch their ears (or equivalent) and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.