How far have you sailed your Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2009
Catalina 387 Waterford Harbor, Kemah Texas
We have a 2005 Hunter 33 that we take from Kemah, Texas to Freeport, Texas once in a while. It's a trip of about 60 miles oneway 40 miles being offshore. So on the sail home the other day I was wondering, What's farthest others regularly sail there Hunters? What's the farthest you have ever been? What's the farthest you plan to go? Our plan right now is to sail to the Bahamas at some point, maybe do the Caribbean loop.

Jan 12, 2012
None None Bellingham, WA
Well, it's not offshore but......

We purchased our 2000 H340 last September and my wife had never been on a sailboat before. Our maiden voyage was from Olympia, WA to Bellingham, Wa - a distance of about 125nm - and of course it's all inland waters. Unfortunately, the breeze was on our nose pretty much the entire way, so the iron genny did most of the work. At any rate, the weather was fantastic, the boat was phenomenal, and I only wish the trip had been twice as long. And to boot, we only burned 17 gallons of diesel for the whole trip!

In the future, we are planning several trips north into Desolation Sound, which is about 130nm north of us.

Cheers!!

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
We had a member that had a mid 80's Hunter 34 that sailed it across the Atlantic a couple of times.

We have taken a Hunter 376 about 350-400 miles from Dana Point, Ca. to San Francisco. We were as far as 40 miles off shore on this trip.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
NY to Fl

I made it from Montauk NY to West Coast Fl in 2008 all off shore with 1 stop in NC than back out offshore.
Just got back from 3 weeks down around the keys up to Miami and back to Punta Gorda,last year up to Tarpon Springs and than to Key West and Dry Tortugas,trying to get my wife to sail to Bahami's.
Nick

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
I have had my 34 for 12 years and put over 18 000 miles on her bottom since. I sail solo 90% of the time. From Montreal, QC, I have taken her up to Labrador, then to the Gaspé peninsula, offshore 120 miles to Magdalen Islands, around Cape Breton and back up to Montreal. I have also sailed her to the Bahamas (Exumas, Eleuthera and the Abacos and back to Montreal. Numerous trips to Lake Ontario and the Thousand Islands area. Getting ready for another great season. Good luck with your 33.

Oct 13, 2007
Hunter 37.5 Plattsburgh
I recently sold my 37.5 Legend. I bought it in Havre de Grace Maryland and sailed it north to NYC and up the Hudson river,through the locks and Champlain canal into Lake Champlain to Plattsburgh NY.

Sep 27, 2011
HUNTER PASSAGE 456 TX
Kemah to Florida

We have a 2005 Hunter 33 that we take from Kemah, Texas to Freeport, Texas once in a while. It's a trip of about 60 miles oneway 40 miles being offshore. So on the sail home the other day I was wondering, What's farthest others regularly sail there Hunters? What's the farthest you have ever been? What's the farthest you plan to go? Our plan right now is to sail to the Bahamas at some point, maybe do the Caribbean loop.
We have a passage 456, we spent 5 hrs prepping our boat at Waterford harbor, we sailed across the gulf to Tampa, then to key west and currently we are working our way up the Florida east coast, destination chesapeake bay, so far about 1500 nm. Hunters can be well suited to coastal cursing with a few modifications.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
We have a passage 456, we spent 5 hrs prepping our boat at Waterford harbor, we sailed across the gulf to Tampa, then to key west and currently we are working our way up the Florida east coast, destination chesapeake bay, so far about 1500 nm. Hunters can be well suited to coastal cursing with a few modifications.
I have spent many hours "coastal cursing" LOL

May 9, 2012
Hunter 380 Alameda
Steve Dion said:
We had a member that had a mid 80's Hunter 34 that sailed it across the Atlantic a couple of times.

We have taken a Hunter 376 about 350-400 miles from Dana Point, Ca. to San Francisco. We were as far as 40 miles off shore on this trip.
I wouldn't mind hearing about this trip. I'm going to have to bring my 380 from SF to LB in about 5 months

Oct 9, 2008
Marine Trader Sedan Mystic, CT
We have sailed our 37.5 from Mystic, CT to Marathon FL round trip (combined ICW and Off-shore. Another trip from Mystic, CT to Snow's Island Casco Bay, ME round trip. Then there were many trips to Martha's Vinyard, Nantucket, Cutyhunk, Block Island, Narraganset Bay.

Amaroo

Sep 22, 2011
Hunter 39 Geelong, Australia
Our longest trip so far:-
We sailed our Hunter 39 from Sydney, Australia (where our boat was commissioned) down the east coast to our home port of Geelong on Corio Bay in Victoria Australia.
535 nautical miles over 5 days/nights.

Our regular trips:-
Over night or day trips on Corio Bay and Port Phillip Bay.

Our future plans:-
To sail along the west coast of Victoria
To cross Bass Straight to Tasmania
To return to Sydney one day

Cheers from Aust.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
We have sailed our H34 from Alameda to Monterey (~90 miles) at least 10 times. In fact we are leaving again on June 30 for our annual week long Bluewater Cruise to do it again. There seems to be fewer people interested in doing this from our club now than there was in the past. Many folks used it as a way do develop skills to go away for longer distance cruising, but now ??? The new batch have too many other things to do than spend a week on the water I guess.

Aug 3, 2010
Hunter 326 Charleston SC
I reccomend you read the travels of Mike and Edi aboard Sequitur a Hunter 49. They've gone from Vancover BC to Cape Horn and working back up.
Fair warning reading this blog may give you a burning desire to push off the dock and head for your own adventure.
It will also dispell and rumors about what a Hunter can withstand weather wise.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/sequitur/

Jun 15, 2009
Catalina 387 Waterford Harbor, Kemah Texas
Thanks to everyone for their responses. It's interesting reading what you'all are up to with your Hunters.
Don

Feb 29, 2012
Hunter 376 Elvina Bay,NSW, Australia
Our longest trip so far:-
We sailed our Hunter 39 from Sydney, Australia (where our boat was commissioned) down the east coast to our home port of Geelong on Corio Bay in Victoria Australia.
535 nautical miles over 5 days/nights.

Our regular trips:-
Over night or day trips on Corio Bay and Port Phillip Bay.

Our future plans:-
To sail along the west coast of Victoria
To cross Bass Straight to Tasmania
To return to Sydney one day

Cheers from Aust.
Our boat is in Brighton, Vic and we have plans to fit her out for a trip to Sydney and Queensland, so we have similar ideas.
God Speed and favourable winds!

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
We just got back from a trip from Pensacola, FL to Port St. Joe on St. Joseph's Bay, a trip of about 125nm across the northern Gulf. Twenty seven hours, most of it out of sight of land. Can't say we really enjoyed it though, on the way back we day hopped from Port St. Joe to Panama City, then to Destin and then back to Pensacola. We decided our boat is just too small for that type of sailing - when the winds picked up to 20 knots and the seas to six feet, it wasn't comfortable, although we've been out in worse on larger boats without a worry.

Jun 9, 2012
Hunter 380 Brunswick
Anyone think sailing an H306 from Ft. Pierce to the Bahamas in the right conditions is a bad idea?

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 41 Longport,NJ
My wife and I sailed and motored our 1981 Hunter 33 (just after purchase) from Ocean City, NJ to New Bern NC down the IC with a few steps outside here and there

The boat was very large and spacious when we started but started to shrink very quickly

The most challenging parts were the shallow Ablemarle and Pamlico sounds - the boat became really underpowered (25 year old 2QM15) under some rough conditions the Abelmarle and we had to turn back - worse then some of our ocean legs

Yes - I want a bigger and more powerful boat (and probably newer) ...........

May 7, 2004
Hunter 38 Little River, SC
New Bern to Ocracoke and return several times. New Bern to Cape Lookout several times. New Bern to Fort Lauderdale, inside and outside, across to Abacos and return to New Bern, inside and outside. New Bern to St Marys Maryland and return in Chesapeake. New Bern to Stuart, inside and outside, and return.

Oct 20, 2008
Beneteau Oceanis 51 charleston
Longest nonstop was around 400 miles....from east of Walkers Cay to Charleston, SC. Hunter 466. Good winds out of the south west, jumped on the stream and made great time!

Status
Not open for further replies.