The "Rest Of The Story"

Status
Not open for further replies.

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
Back in December, Mike Inmon at MacGregor, asked to use a 26D for some testing for a new boat they are building. I responded to their request and loaned them my 1988 MacGregor 26D, telling them I needed it back before HPCC 2012 in Feb. In return they said that they would fix the stress cracks and buff out the hull.
Well.....My boat now has a new Gelcoat Blue strip both top and bottom plus they were able to buff out most of the scratches on the hull.
But Wait.......Before I left, Mike took me into the shop and handed me all the parts to make my mast into a rotating mast.
And yet there is more....... I will be able to buy a new mast and sail at a near cost when I am ready. How about that Sport Fans!
Now when we have the "Show and Shine" at HPCC, "Andiamo" will be looking good!
Thanks again to Roger, Mike and the crew at MacGregors for a great experience,
Bob
:dance:

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
What...? The engineers at Macgregor needed a 24 yr old boat for comparison...?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Sounds like a good ending. Let us know what your impression of the new mast and how much difference it makes. Don't know if I mentioned this before, but with the new 'rotating' mast I'd for sure have a toggle at the top and bottom of the forestay.

Most of all have fun at Havasu,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our Endeavour 37[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our MacGregor S Pages[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Mac-Venture Links[/FONT]

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
Please do tell the whole story. Are the engineers designing a new classic?

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
oreana123 said:
Please do tell the whole story. Are the engineers designing a new classic?
No new classic at this time. They were checking their paper data with the real boat data for the new 75 MacGregor.
The older 2D is the fastest boat, something to do with its design. I saw the new hull still in the mold. When it is done, I get to go out for a sail.

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
Sumner said:
Sounds like a good ending. Let us know what your impression of the new mast and how much difference it makes. Don't know if I mentioned this before, but with the new 'rotating' mast I'd for sure have a toggle at the top and bottom of the forestay.

Most of all have fun at Havasu,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
Sum,

I am going to try and have it modified by HPCC.

I checked out the rotating setup on the M. Worked it by hand to see the way the wires moved.
The mast will move up about 1" but I have plenty of adjusting room with my wires. I will get new stays with the new mast.

I will be in slip 31at LBR.

Bob

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Bob, cool!... and it looks like you have one of the primo slips right in front of the hotel so I can check it out.

I moved a HUGE amount of snow yesterday getting ready for Havasu - very sore today... But cant wait to head out - see you there (I wont be able to get my boat too close to yours or I will look bad since mine is still all scruffed up..).

zjtr10

Jan 11, 2010
macgregor 26S Odessa
[quote and it looks like you have one of the primo slips right in front of the hotel ]

I will be attending the HPCC evet also and have a room at the LBR with a slip. Can you tell me how to see what slip I am assigned or is that a Nautical Inn deal ?

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
walt said:
Bob, cool!... and it looks like you have one of the primo slips right in front of the hotel so I can check it out.

I moved a HUGE amount of snow yesterday getting ready for Havasu - very sore today... But cant wait to head out - see you there (I wont be able to get my boat too close to yours or I will look bad since mine is still all scruffed up..).
Hey Walt, my boat was needing a good rubbing.

Here are the parts for the rotating mast.

Attachments

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
Glad to hear Macgregor did you right!

does the M have halyards run back to the cockpit?

pics?
I know that Mike had a halyard back to the cockpit for his roller main setup. I was more interested in the way the rotating mast worked. Didn't see the halyards. There is a video of the roller main on Utube.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Hi Bob. Can you post a few more pictures of the parts for the rotating mast? I'm interested in seeing how it works compared to the static one on my 26D.
If its not to much could you document the instillation on your 26D?
Thanks

Aug 28, 2009
MacGregor 26D BC
Well done Bob.
Did Mac's have any comment on your furling jib?

Got my parts ready to assemble mine. Just a few more house winter projects to complete before I dare touch it.

Mic

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
Wow what a shine. Now I have a goal in the spring. Looks like it just came out of the mould.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
That is one heck of a shine! Was your hull painted before or was it original? Mine has a coat of paint all over. (thank goodness no one got inside with the paint) I don't know if it will ever come off. Well I know that if you let it rub against the dock for a few days it will. The PO told me how the big scratches got in mine. (There on the starboard side?) Under the water line is something to behold too.
Is there such thing as hull envy?

Attachments

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
Hi Bob. Can you post a few more pictures of the parts for the rotating mast? I'm interested in seeing how it works compared to the static one on my 26D.
If its not to much could you document the instillation on your 26D?
Thanks
I plan to document the instillation and the improvement in sailing.

Here are pix of the base plate and spreader setup. Check out page 4.

http://www.macgregor26.com/instruction_manual/OWNERS INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

I will try not to add any new holes to the mast because of the repositioning of the stays.

Attachments

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
Well done Bob.
Did Mac's have any comment on your furling jib?

Got my parts ready to assemble mine. Just a few more house winter projects to complete before I dare touch it.

Mic
Roger looked at the PVC Furler and Mike liked it. Mike is an inventer and has made many mods to his boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.