Modifications/items for overnighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2009
MacGregor 1995 26S Fort Walton Beach, FL
This year we plan on making overnight trips on our macgregor and I was wondering what mods/items you think have really made overnighting much better.

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
Replaced aft bed cushions with foam bed from Walmart. Now I sleep well in sheets and covers- a real bed. Installed a bow roller and obtained an anchor that resets easily, 12 feet of chain with 200 ft 3/8 3 strand. Again I sleep soundly and I hate getting up a 3 AM in my underwear to deal with a dragging anchor.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
When you say overnight is it one night, 2-3 nights, a week or longer. That would help me make some suggestions.

Also are you going to be on anchor, a mooring, beached or a slip. If anchored or beached what gear do you have now for that?

We love being on the boat and I'll bet you will also love spending more time aboard. The longer the better for us,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our Endeavour 37[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our MacGregor S Pages[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Mac-Venture Links[/FONT]

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
I don't have a lot of experience with overnighting on my Mac, so I am interested too in learning any secrets to make it more enjoyable.
One lesson that I did learn is to use dock line snubbers. We camped on Lake Chelan, WA where the second night was so rough that the constant jerking woke me several times and I went out to inspect my lines. In the morning, I found that both of the cleats on my boat had been bent to one side and needed to be rebedded.
I've also heard that the Mac is a little tender at anchor and can induce sea sickness. I've looked at using Rocker Stoppers (http://www.davisnet.com/marine/products/marine_product.asp?pnum=00352) and would like to know if anybody else has experience with them.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
see the thread on anchoring. /sailing on anchor.
that and a gas bbq and 5 day coolers, and frozen water bottles vs ice.

in your area, bug screens, and solar showers.
-if its too cold/lack of sun for the solar shower, boil 1 gal and add to 3gal cold.

new foam for the bed or air mattress....

anyone have sirius radio?

Oct 19, 2009
MacGregor 1995 26S Fort Walton Beach, FL
When you say overnight is it one night, 2-3 nights, a week or longer. That would help me make some suggestions.

Also are you going to be on anchor, a mooring, beached or a slip. If anchored or beached what gear do you have now for that?

We love being on the boat and I'll bet you will also love spending more time aboard. The longer the better for us,

Sum
Hi Sum,

Most likely one night with the occasional 2 nighter. We'll be out on anchor or beached, no mooring slips here. As far as gear, I don't have anything other than a small danforth anchor with 6' chain and 100' 3-strand. The boat was bare when I bought her so now I'm trying to get her ready. Oh, and we have a 6 year old and a 4.5 year old too if anyone has suggestions for that.

thanks!
-david

Sep 26, 2010
Macgregor 1993 26S Houston
In my 26S the aft berth cushions were a little too soft. I bought foam intending to replace but ended up just putting it under them and now it's pretty nice. I spent 5 days on the boat in October and was comfortable enough.
I have a gas grill in the cockpit and a coleman stove. I use both.
I was using coolers and making ice runs. last week I ordered a fridge like Sumner has in his boat, nor more ice runs for me!
I installed access to use the area under the V berth and that really makes a lot of difference. Between that space, and the space under the settees there is a lot of room for your stuff. I try to keep the aft berth area mostly clear cause I sleep there.
Solar power helps.
Good luck
Jim

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
I don't know if this fits this thread but I am about to buy an anchor rode 3 strand and was planning to get 1/2". Do I need to go 1/2" or should I get 3/8"?

I am very interested in this thread. I am planning a 2 week cruise this summer from Sarasota to Punta Gorda and back. Sarasota area is used to be my home waters. I have only done overnighters in the past and am concerned about anchoring securely.

I was planning to get a 5 day ice chest. I have some solar now and am planning to get more.
I will also be stopping at a dock with power and a marina to charge my batteries.

I still need to get a solar shower and netting(looking for suggestions for the best). I have a propane bbq and plan to get a propane stove. I am building a rack off the stern to hold the propane containers.

I have a nice airbed and my fishing poles. I am planning to use the boat stereo, my laptop and books for entertainment.

I am still trying to decide if I need to bring my canoe and bicycle. I think they might be more trouble than they would be worth.

Doug L

Sep 9, 2006
South Coast 22 MI
If you are going to be at anchor, you need an anchor you can count on. I have been happy with danforth type anchors, but use what works for the bottom conditions in your area. At least 6 feet of chain, 10 probably is better. I have used 3/8", 3 strand line on a Mac 25 and a Hunter 26 and it has worked pretty well. After getting a primary anchor that you are happy with, get a secondary anchor that is just about as good. When things get rough, 2 anchors are a lot better better than 1. You will not be very happy, and will not sleep well, when on the hook, if you are not confident that you will stay put.

May 4, 2005
Hi Sum,

Most likely one night with the occasional 2 nighter. We'll be out on anchor or beached, no mooring slips here. As far as gear, I don't have anything other than a small danforth anchor with 6' chain and 100' 3-strand. The boat was bare when I bought her so now I'm trying to get her ready. Oh, and we have a 6 year old and a 4.5 year old too if anyone has suggestions for that.

thanks!
-david

You have your lunch hook, now you need a anchor to ride out a storm.

your area is sand and mud, so a delta or claw or even a cqr might be better. but they are heavier... fortress is the best danforth, but pricey...

I would think 150' as a minimum, and would go 1/2" at least on the primary. (its also much easier on the hands than 3/8) And as much chain as you can handle... (no less than 6' and 15' would be ideal.) Think about chafe on rocks/oyster bars), and having to sit it out for 8+ hours... at night.

with the kids, you don't want to take a chance, IMHO... lots of current over there too.

Storage and deployment is the problem for anchors... I have some 4" pvc pipe clamped to the bow pulpit.. not the cleanest look, but it works for me... and I can get them down fast if I need to...

sumner has a heck of a setup... a bow roller does make life easier.

I would think about a harness (w/ pfd) for the little ones. with a crotch strap. and probably nets for the lifelines... depending on how they feel. look at sos suspenders or similar brands that go off once they hit the water.

boats us towing might also be a good idea 1st season...

personally, I carry 3 anchors... the one in the laz is a backup in a bucket.

probably not an issue in the panhandle, but I've lost them out on the reef... just had to cut the line, or tie a float and toss it in, till you can come back with scuba gear. cutting off a $250 fortress stings.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Our family did a one week (5 day) trip four years in a row with two teenage boys and two dogs in a Mac 26S. Wife and I slept in the aft berths. First year, the two boys slept in the Vberth but by the time they were in the range of 12 and 14, they couldn’t get along up there (feet touching would set off a fight) so I had to make a bed in the cockpit where the older kid slept (best bed on the boat).

We always had a DVD player on the boat with a bunch of movies - typically two movies got watched per day. I also always had a way for them to charge their electronic devices - just a small inverter but it went to an outlet with many plugs. Ive always had a very nice stereo on the boat - but the only time it got used on these trips was to watch movies.

We did fine with two five day ice chests (both sitting accross from the head), cooked on an alcohol stove and a propane barbeque hung on the aft rails. When one ice chest was used up mid way through the trip, it became the place to store trash bags. With a boat this small and that many people, you are going to be moving stuff around between day use and sleeping but really not that big of a deal.

These trips were to Lake Powell in the summer so bimini was the one thing I couldn’t have lived without. We stopped often and all went swimming. I also always towed along some kayaks (enough for everyone - even the dogs) and we did little kayak trips. Kids often sailed the boat.

We are on to different summer trips now (involving more day sailing) but everyone in the family really enjoyed those trips.

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
oreana123 said:
obtained an anchor that resets easily, 12 feet of chain with 200 ft 3/8 3 strand.
could you please post a pic of your anchor that resets easily? Or what brand and type is it?
Thanks

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Like the others the first thing I would do and the first thing we did after the first trip with a small danforth that came with the boat was to get better anchoring gear. You need the comfort of going to bed and being able to sleep with knowledge you will still be the same place in the morning.

We have two anchors we use all of the time either together or separate. The first one is a Lewmar claw that is 22 lbs. with 20-30 feet of 1/4 inch chain and 200 feet of 3 twist nylon. We used that anchor with complete success on our trips to Canada, Idaho and Utah but wanted even a better anchor and bought a 25 lb. Manson Supreme. Both of those anchors are self setting it they get turned around. We have 7/16 3 twist on the Manson along with 5/16 chain and again at least 20 feet of chain and I think we have 30 feet. The more chain you have the better the performance of the anchor and the less scope you have to have out if you are some place where that becomes important.

You could go to 1/2 inch line if you wanted, but it really isn't needed for our boats. 7/16 is even overkill to some degree and good for boats up to 35 feet.

The anchor has a hard time holding if it is pull towards the surface. The chain lays on the bottom, hopefully, and keeps the pull on the anchor parallel to the bottom. Personally I'd have 15 feet minimum, but it looks like others are having luck with less.

We also have a Fortress FX-11 broke down and stored below in case we lost an anchor on a trip.

The claw isn't that expensive and I'd give it serious consideration along with the chain and line. If you can afford it get the Manson Supreme and you will never regret it. It worked great in Florida for us. We stored the anchors for the first year in tubes like Bill on the bow and still have the rodes in cheap cooler bags that work great. There is nothing wrong with the tubes if you are able to deal with the anchor over the side at the bow. I'm 68 and the rollers just make putting the anchor down and bringing it up so much easier, but if I was 10 years younger I could still deal with the anchors and the chain weight over the side.

Make sure you have side chocks and cleats. I like a cleat on each side and one in the middle. Also learn how to anchor and just don't throw it over the side like we did the first year :redface:. Put the anchor down and float or power back and then use the outboard in reverse to pull it in and make sure you aren't still dragging it.

There is a lot more on our anchor gear, new/old, here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/rigging-index.html

Take care of the anchoring and then just experiment with the rest of the stuff to see what works best for the family. If you look at our trip reports almost all of them have a page or two on how we manage on the water during trips. Also Bill had some great suggestions,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our Endeavour 37[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our MacGregor S Pages[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Mac-Venture Links[/FONT]

May 4, 2005
fwiw, my bow tubes: (I need to add some chalks)

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h169/ftldiver2/MACGREGOR/P1010241.jpg

I've got 300' of 3/4" 3 strand from a older boat... and its too long. but I already owned it, and was not going to cut it.. but its also nice on the hands.

if you get your anchor wrapped around a coral head, it chafes pretty fast. probably not an issue in the panhandle but in the keys it can happen.fast.

(that's why I went with the thicker line...when I pulled up a 3/8" line and one strand was cut, and the other half way, on a bottom fishing trip... 20+ yrs ago.)

I like the way Walt setup his cooler. (square igloo) if you're not going to cut the Vberth for storage.

(spare 20# navy anchor http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h169/ftldiver2/MACGREGOR/P1010028.jpg

Aug 28, 2009
MacGregor 26D BC
Not much to ad to the great info give.

I do suggest, if you can lauch the boat and moor, if available, with all aboard for a night at the launch dock if they have one. Failing moorage availabilty, put the mast up(important re noise) at home or where it is stored and again with all aboard sleep over and cook supper and breakfast. This may sound trivial but its surprising how priorities change after the first night's experience.

ONCE ABOARD NO GETTING OFF THE BOAT NOT EVEN THE PET. The only exceptions flood, fire or blood. Up chuck, forgotten stuff and fights are not an excuse to get off.(remember to take meds)

Have fun. Let us know your expeirence.
Mic

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
tjar said:
I don't have a lot of experience with overnighting on my Mac, so I am interested too in learning any secrets to make it more enjoyable.
One lesson that I did learn is to use dock line snubbers. We camped on Lake Chelan, WA where the second night was so rough that the constant jerking woke me several times and I went out to inspect my lines. In the morning, I found that both of the cleats on my boat had been bent to one side and needed to be rebedded.
I've also heard that the Mac is a little tender at anchor and can induce sea sickness. I've looked at using Rocker Stoppers (http://www.davisnet.com/marine/products/marine_product.asp?pnum=00352) and would like to know if anybody else has experience with them.
I use them and like them. Make sure to use a good weight on the bottom. Many folks use a small mushroom anchor. I sometime use an old motorcycle starter battery in a mesh bag as it is smaller on each side.

Jeff

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
surpluss US marine corp goretex bivy bags. Dosent matter how wet the boat or your clothes get, put your sleeping bag in that, then get in, you are dry and warm in no time.

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
I was really glad I anchored the first time really close to where I keep the boat. I made a list of all the things that I needed to change/fix before I spent a weekend on the boat with my wife. She had a great time, so it was well spent.

Make sure you use some foam to keep wire slap in the mast quiet. That was my biggest annoyance.

Project idea...I recently had cushions made for the cockpit, and had a center one made to make a bed, all with closed cell foam. It's really firm but it also handles teenagers well. I am next considering making a giant icebox that goes in the cockpit. I'd move it inside to sail and move it out when anchored. Lots of storage and I wouldn't have to remove any foam. With the cushions down and a tent top I made, it should keep for a really long time. Thoughts?

Jeff R.

Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
I can't speak much of overnighting on larger boats but on the small boats I have had, I keep to the two-fer system. Try not to bring things that don't have more than one use. That and make a list and keep modifying it until you get it right. Then packing is very easy. Speaking of packing, boats get wet, your stuff shouldn't. I pack everything in dry bags. ( Waterproof bags with tops that roll and lock closed). I write on the bags with a marker so u know what is inside. I plan all my meals so that very little prep is required. Cut stuff up at home and store in zip lock bags. Also, check out the book sailing big on a small boat. Good reference.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Sun block, hats and sun glasses for all. I like water babies it does not sting the eyes.

I have pillows stuffed with sweats because it always seems to get colder than you think..

The water bottles may be marked with names.

The first time on a three dayer we had 2 cases of beer, 2 cases of soda and 2 cases of water. When we returned we had used 1 six pack of soda and beer and all the water was gone, 4 adults.

Anyone like washing dishes??

We do not cook!

A trip to the deli for sliced ham, roat beef, turkey, a couple of different cheeses. Lettuce and other fixing preped and stored in plastic zip locks. Fresh bread sliced at the deli will last. Paper plates inserted into wiker bottoms keeps things stable.

Rain gear for two, got mine at wallmart for about 20 dollars a set. A couple of cheap ponchoos are handy for kids.

Extra chemicals for the porta pottie.

A log book to enter the things you did right and wrong and to keep track of where you stored the rain gear etc..

Let the kids do all the work once in open water and be sure they have life vests on, and pratice mob drills so if you fall overboard they can come and get you.

Status
Not open for further replies.