First Time in Gusts

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
My son and I went out on our H240 Tuesday. The winds were 15 mph, gusting to 20. I reefed the main and we motored out of the harbor. Shawn kept pointing her into the wind whenever the rail got close to the water and I let out the main sheet. Eventually we got comfortable with the angle of sail and enjoyed ourselves for about an hour an a half. The issue came when we decided to return to the harbor. The end of the jib down haul line that I had rigged was not secured and it had looped up over the spreader. I had to go forward and pull down the jib manually. The same mistake with the jib sheets. I had not knotted the ends and one was over the side and the other pulled through the forward block. I looked like a lame, one armed paper hanger. Everything was so much easier to get to on our Hobie 18.
Shawn was having his own issues with the boat keeping her headed into the wind. She kept falling off and the propeller would come out of the water. It was a great experience. The winds were just strong enough to teach but not to cause any damage except to our egos. I will say it did make Shawn a believer in roller furling but that is not in the budget.
My mainsail is in poor shape. The previous owner said that It had be repaired several times. Actually it had been repaired twice and patched once. It needs more tape. I am not going to replace it until I have made all the future mistakes which might damage a new one.
It was our best day on the lake.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I clearly recall admiral’s and my first time out in gusty conditions. Trying to sail out of the harbor close-hauled in a Cal 20. Strong gust. The boat rounded up hard then pirouetted and my hat went overboard! Next thing I know is we’re blowing downwind in 15kt toward the docks! Oh well, let’s just go in now and try again on another day! Good work.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Well done. Work those sails to your advantage. Spill that wind when you need to. Keep that boat upright as best you can. My first learning mistake was not to undo the topping lift so my main had a big belly and the boat would only go so fast. LOL

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The smaller hunters really heel a lot if the main is blown. I got a new main for my 26 and it was magic.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
I suggest that, as you go up in boat size the mindset is more on maintenance and preparation, in my experience. I have procedures on my phone for most activities such as raising the mast and leaving the dock.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Suggest heeling maximum over should be limited to 12-14 degrees. In the beginning I too made mistakes but learning comes with experience.
On the jib sheet when fully to port or starboard, is the sheet line long enough going around to the other side thru upright tuning block into the cockpit?

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
Suggest heeling maximum over should be limited to 12-14 degrees. In the beginning I too made mistakes but learning comes with experience.
On the jib sheet when fully to port or starboard, is the sheet line long enough going around to the other side thru upright tuning block into the cockpit?
Are you talking abut bringing the jib sheets all the way back to the spinnaker blocks near the stern? I don't think that they are that long.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
do you have enough line in the sheet going from the sail around the mast back to the cockpit when led to the other side?

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
My son and I went out on our H240 Tuesday. The winds were 15 mph, gusting to 20. I reefed the main and we motored out of the harbor. Shawn kept pointing her into the wind whenever the rail got close to the water and I let out the main sheet. Eventually we got comfortable with the angle of sail and enjoyed ourselves for about an hour an a half. The issue came when we decided to return to the harbor. The end of the jib down haul line that I had rigged was not secured and it had looped up over the spreader. I had to go forward and pull down the jib manually. The same mistake with the jib sheets. I had not knotted the ends and one was over the side and the other pulled through the forward block. I looked like a lame, one armed paper hanger. Everything was so much easier to get to on our Hobie 18.
Shawn was having his own issues with the boat keeping her headed into the wind. She kept falling off and the propeller would come out of the water. It was a great experience. The winds were just strong enough to teach but not to cause any damage except to our egos. I will say it did make Shawn a believer in roller furling but that is not in the budget.
My mainsail is in poor shape. The previous owner said that It had be repaired several times. Actually it had been repaired twice and patched once. It needs more tape. I am not going to replace it until I have made all the future mistakes which might damage a new one.
It was our best day on the lake.
If it’s blown out repace it. Going out in a small boat with gusts and a blown out sail magnifies what you were experiencing especially if you are not familiar with heavy wind trim tactics. Research the concept of putting in a lot of vang and using the traveler instead of the main for gust control.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
It sounds like you did most everything right except for line management. Having a figure-8 knot in the sheets and controlling the downhaul so that it did not foul would have been a game changer. That way you would have gotten the jib down without leaving the cockpit which would have gone a lone way to keeping the prop in the water as well as minimizing the time your son needed to keep her head to wind.
On my previous boats that were hanked on, I set the down haul to come just short of tight when the sail was fully hoisted. The first time I hoisted the sail with the downhaul, I just pulled out the slack and then tied it to the pushpit stanchion. I marked the line at that point so that I could retie it to the same place each time. One other thing I did with my downhaul was to only hook it into every third or fourth hank. Any more than that caused too much friction to work well.

Dec 23, 2021
Hunter 260 Thornbury
It sounds like you did most everything right except for line management. Having a figure-8 knot in the sheets and controlling the downhaul so that it did not foul would have been a game changer. That way you would have gotten the jib down without leaving the cockpit which would have gone a lone way to keeping the prop in the water as well as minimizing the time your son needed to keep her head to wind.
On my previous boats that were hanked on, I set the down haul to come just short of tight when the sail was fully hoisted. The first time I hoisted the sail with the downhaul, I just pulled out the slack and then tied it to the pushpit stanchion. I marked the line at that point so that I could retie it to the same place each time. One other thing I did with my downhaul was to only hook it into every third or fourth hank. Any more than that caused too much friction to work well.
Well by the sounds of your reply your dealing with a far larger vessel….

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
One other thing I did with my downhaul was to only hook it into every third or fourth hank. Any more than that caused too much friction to work well.
@Hayden Watson : You have mentioned this detail in another thread in the past. That has not been my experience with down hauls and I wonder if the friction issue is (was) specific to your rig. The advantage to alternating the down haul through the hanks is that it will very nicely flake your sail when you bring it down so long as you leave one of the sheets taught. this will stow your sail along a gunwale while you deal with the stronger weather and the hanking of a storm jib.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
What I am getting at does he have the correct jib sheet length or better. I am wondering if that line was replaced with a shorter jib sheet