What Is Your Favorite Boat Music and why?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
If I want a guaranteed eye roll from my mates while sailing, I can turn the volume up and sing along to “Sailing” at the top of my lungs. What do you like to listen to when the sails are up and the engine is off?

Jul 8, 2020
Catalina 36 MKII 1443 Mobjack Bay
It depends on the action and vibe of the sail.
It ranges from:
Steely Dan
Doobie Bros.
Seals and Crofts
The Band
Pink Floyd
Stanton Moore
to
Peter Tosh
Bob Marley
Toots and the Maytals
Burning Spear
to
Glenn Miller Orchestra
Tommy Dorsey
Gene Krupa
to
ACDC
TOOL
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
to
Parliament
Sly and the Family Stone
Kool and the Gang
to
James Brown
Curtis Mayfield
Marvin Gaye
Al Green
Bill Withers

I also like to bring aboard Bluegrass, cowboy country (none of that pop country shit) and Cajun two-step.
My music accompanies my mood.

Jul 8, 2020
Yes, for sure. Usually just the wind in the rigging is enough music.
I have to be in a particular mood to put on the tunes.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Bloodhound Gang- because it's about watching X-files.

Last edited:

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Wind, waves, poorly trimmed sails making those sounds they make, that's enough for me…
Definitely. I'm really not interested in hearing music when I'm on my boat--mine or anybody else's. Having said that, my wife sometimes brings her guitar and I enjoy when she plays it. So I guess it's mainly recorded and amplified music I object to.

Aug 7, 2013
O'day 39' 25th Anniversary Mystic, CT
I have to say that I may not fit the norm on this thread, I have a playlist on amazon music unlimited that has at the moment 3 different sailing playlists. I mostly play the first one I created featuring "Sailing" by Chris Cross, "Southern Cross" by Crosby, Stills, and Nash, a bunch of Hootie, and of course "Into the Mystic" and "Walking in Memphis"...... I am always looking for more suggestions that will motivate me to increase my sailing skills. The sound of waves, wind in my sails, and such are good, but most times I feel more at ease with sailing music!

Apr 3, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Frenchtown, MT
I have a number of shanties that we play. A couple in particular got played most outings this past summer. Check out The Longest Johns, "Hoist Up the Thing" and "Got No Beard". Yea, that's right up my alley for fun songs:
Music - The Longest Johns

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
You haven't sailed until you have one of Puccini's operas in the background. They just flow with the wind and the boat. Better than smoking pot and watching someone sail.:):cool:

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
All The Usual Suspects and only 15 replies! Good shot, Phil. :plus:

I used to dislike Shuffle. Because I started out listening to music on (original) vinyl, I used to know the "order" of the songs and which one would come up next. Shuffle confused me. (OK, OK, let the quips begin! :beer:)

But now I've learned to enjoy Shuffle, even if it's a playlist I made or just All Songs. I enjoy the surprises. Every once in a while "Here Comes the Sun" will pop up when a cloud moves and uncovers the sun. Of course it ain't because I'm leaving the anchorage at sun up - what sailor would get up that early before the wind starts?

Jul 8, 2020
"Southern Cross" by Crosby, Stills, and Nash
How could I have left CSNY of my list?! I have them in my Easy Listening playlist with Steely Dan et al.
They were avid sailors as well. Their harmonies go perfect with a nice easy sail.

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
I'm always discovering new music on Spotify. Here's an instrumental piece that seems to fit in really well with sailing. Not jangly, and just pure simple music: (ignore the title...)
Highway Anxiety by William Tyler: