Raymarine Evolution Wheel Pilot Install

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
On 2004, Hull #281, I have a triple instrument pod with Raymarine T 60(I think) speed, wind and depth from port to starboard. I just picked up a wheel pilot and have some questions.
1.Considering removing the speed display and using the location for the P70 autopilot control head. Comments?
2. Mounting location for the compass sensor? Looks like I will need to buy a longer cable unless I mount it right under the pedestal.
I installed a below deck pilot in our Freeport 41 and it called for the compass sensor to be mounted as near the center of effort as possible. I don’t know if this matters with the Raymarine sensor.The center of effort on the 310 looks to be just aft of the compression post. There’s space to mount the sensor under the floor boards but it would be close to any water if the bilge pump failed.
Thanks for any advice on installing the pilot!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Assume you are talking about a Raymarine EV100 AP using the EV1 sensor (looks like a Spaceship). The sensor does not have the same limitations as the flux compass of older AP systems.

You need to locate the unit at least 1 Meter away from Electro Magnetic sources, within 5 degrees of level (pitch/roll) when boat is level sitting still on her normal lines, and in a dry space not likely to catch fire. The EV1 had an arrow on the top. The arrow must be aligned directional forward, parallel with the keel.

My unit is in a cabinet about a meter to starboard of the centerline. You connect the EV1 with the SeaTalkng cables.These vary in length depending on where you locate the ACU. The cable from the ACU to the motor can be quite long.

System works great as long as you remember not to put the boom box with magnetic speaker or the cast iron frying pan in the cabinet next to the EV1. If you happen to forget, be ready for the AP to execute a Crazy Ivan.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Why not buy a four instrument pod to replace the three hole model?

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I placed the EV stuff on the aft bulkhead with all the other N2k stuff ie ASI Gnx 20. As for you older raymarine you'll need a converter if you want them to talk to your EV.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
Why not buy a four instrument pod to replace the three hole model?
Too hard to get around the triple as it is. I’d prefer to have them over the front of the companionway as with a pilot, I usually stand or am not behind the wheel. Speed of the hull is somewhat important in current situations but overall I don’t use the speedo and use GPS speed.
Also, more expensive and more work.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Mine is mounted in the bilge on my O’Day 322. It is mounted about high as possible in the bilge, but about as low as possible in this boat.

Greg

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I am also installing an EV-100 in my C30 Mk2. My current plan is to mount it in the space behind the drawer cabinet just to port of the companionway. my only concern is that it could be affected by the tin cans in the drawers and the fridge compressor about 18" away. I plan to check the location with this Gemeco iNstall phone app that checks the magnetic field in real time.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Considering removing the speed display and using the location for the P70 autopilot control head. Comments?
You might want to consider a i70S Multi Display to replace once of the remaining two dedicated displays. The i70S is a sister display to the P70 AP display. By that I mean they look and operate the same.
Along with the i70S add an iTC5 unit. Your current transducers will connect to the iTC5 and the iTC5 will put the data on the network. This will allow the i70S and your P70 to pick up the wind, speed and depth data. If you have a somewhat current chart plotter that too can pick up the data from the network.
The EV100 requires a basic SeaTalkng network so adding the i70S and iTC5 completes the network and gives you a lot more functionality. IE: Instead of steering to a bearing, you can steer to the wind direction, displaying depth and speed on your chart plotter, etc.

FYI, The i70S gives you up to 10 different screens to scroll through, or less if you wish. You can edit each screen as to the data displayed and how it is displayed. I have one screen that mimics what you see on your st60 display, another shows heading, bearing and depth.

The app Hayden just posted a link to is very helpful in finding a good location for the EV1.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You guys and your apps. In the old days you just winged it. Made some good SWAGS and set the unit in place fired her up and then modified if the SWAGS were poor.

Mine was a one and done afternoon. Beer for me and my helpers (kibitzers - No John that’s a bad Idea. Will never work. No not there. Nor there either. Let’s try the first place). Maybe we started the beer too early.

Only issue came 6 months later. While cruising the Gulf Islands of BC. I got the whim the day needed a little music. Went below to get the boom box my daughter had lent me. Set it down on top of the cabinet housing the EV1 sensor and the boat began doing Crazy Ivan’s.

Once was all that was needed to know magnets and the EV1 sensor do not play well together.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Depending on how many ST-60 transducers you’ve got another option for getting them interfaced with the AP and newer devices is the Seatalk to Seatalk NG adapter, instead of an iTC5. That’s what I used for my old sensors and e7d MFD and Evolution autopilot. Also about half the price, but does require you to keep the ST-60 displays.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
Mine is mounted in the bilge on my O’Day 322. It is mounted about high as possible in the bilge, but about as low as possible in this boat.

Greg
Greg. Thanks for responding. That is the most obvious place with the least amount of pitch and roll. May have reported problems with over correcting and higher and farther aft might be a reason.
I assume your installation works fine. If not, let me know.
Also, thanks for answering my primary question.
Happy sailing.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
You might want to consider a i70S Multi Display to replace once of the remaining two dedicated displays. The i70S is a sister display to the P70 AP display. By that I mean they look and operate the same.
Along with the i70S add an iTC5 unit. Your current transducers will connect to the iTC5 and the iTC5 will put the data on the network. This will allow the i70S and your P70 to pick up the wind, speed and depth data. If you have a somewhat current chart plotter that too can pick up the data from the network.
The EV100 requires a basic SeaTalkng network so adding the i70S and iTC5 completes the network and gives you a lot more functionality. IE: Instead of steering to a bearing, you can steer to the wind direction, displaying depth and speed on your chart plotter, etc.

FYI, The i70S gives you up to 10 different screens to scroll through, or less if you wish. You can edit each screen as to the data displayed and how it is displayed. I have one screen that mimics what you see on your st60 display, another shows heading, bearing and depth.

The app Hayden just posted a link to is very helpful in finding a good location for the EV1.
Beautiful. I’m going to check that out. Great comments.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
Depending on how many ST-60 transducers you’ve got another option for getting them interfaced with the AP and newer devices is the Seatalk to Seatalk NG adapter, instead of an iTC5. That’s what I used for my old sensors and e7d MFD and Evolution autopilot. Also about half the price, but does require you to keep the ST-60 displays.

Good idea. I’ll see how that works. This is very helpful. Going to need a lot more and longer cables. Hope they fit through the pedestal guard.

Nov 16, 2012
Greg. Thanks for responding. That is the most obvious place with the least amount of pitch and roll. May have reported problems with over correcting and higher and farther aft might be a reason.
I assume your installation works fine. If not, let me know.
Also, thanks for answering my primary question.
Happy sailing.
The manual for the EV-1 says it needs to be level with 5 degrees when the vessel is at rest. There are no issues with it being mounted higher, or further aft, or further forward. Very different from older compass units. It does need 3’ from magnetic fields, including boom boxes!

Nov 16, 2012
Another option to consider: add an MFD to a new pod on the pedestal. Since this picture I replaced the depth readout with a p70 autopilot control head. Lots more money, but more functionality.
IMG_0508.JPG

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
... (kibitzers - No John that’s a bad Idea. Will never work. No not there. Nor there either. Let’s try the first place). ...
That was all I heard on a C30 forum when I stated where I am planning to put the EV1. You would think it would end the world as we know it! I am hoping my fancy thingamajig will show me that my location is fine...

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Good idea. I’ll see how that works. This is very helpful. Going to need a lot more and longer cables. Hope they fit through the pedestal guard.
That’s the beauty of the SeaTalkng network. You only need one backbone cable run up the pedestal guard. Connect your devices to the one backbone cable using 5 way and T connectors.
If you use the iTC5 you no longer need the transducer wires going up the pedestal. You‘re down to needing just two cables run up the p guard. Power and backbone.

ie: I have my chart plotter, two i70S displays and P70 display at the top of my pedestal guard. All are connected to the SeaTalkng network using one backbone cable run up the pedestal guard.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Here’s my display setup with Axiom 7 chart plotter.
I have the AP set to sail to apparent wind of 60 deg. to port.
95A79630-4E2D-44C6-882A-61B62E391AE8.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
Another option to consider: add an MFD to a new pod on the pedestal. Since this picture I replaced the depth readout with a p70 autopilot control head. Lots more money, but more functionality.
View attachment 195057
Like the plotter mounted on top of the pod a lot. Looks great. To start, I’m going to try going without the speedo. I have read the P70 can display speed info. Eventually, I will probably interface the wheel pilot with the ST 60 wind and depth but not now. Have a lot of other items on the to do list.