Shes got a dirty bottom!

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I have VC17 on my hull. It wasn't pressure washed at the end of the season. We attempted to do so about a month ago and it did get a little cleaner. As you can see the paint doesnt look the same throughout. I know VC17 is a unique paint so I'm going to ask a seemingly dumb question... Is this dirt on the bottom or does this look like a quality of the paint? If it's dirt, any recommendations on how to clean it?
1590794106200.png

Last edited:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I do power wash in the fall at haul-out but there is sometimes some of that stuff left in the spring. I use a light hand sanding with 220 grit to take it off then wipe it down and put another coat on.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Do your self and your elbows a favor if it is, in fact, dried algae(sometimes called pond scum). Use a diluted, acid based cleaner. Toilet bowl cleaner, the cheap kind you can find at any janitorial supply house... Smart & Final comes to mind.... Mix it up in a 5 gallon bucket and get a long handled pot scrubbing brush to slosh it on. It will literally disappear before your eyes. Hose it down with fresh water, you're good to go. Acid will remove anything biological in nature.. If it has a petroleum-organic character, such as the skid marks from rubber bumpers... then Acetone is the right product.

That sermon completed.... that looks like old paint has simply worn off...not new biological growth. You'll know immediately, because toilet bowl cleaner will not work.. nor anything else... to remove bottom paint. Stripper or sanding are your options... but heck.. you should be able to just follow the instructions on your new bottom paint label for apply it over existing painted surface.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
That sermon completed.... that looks like old paint has simply worn off...not new biological growth. You'll know immediately, because toilet bowl cleaner will not work.. nor anything else... to remove bottom paint. Stripper or sanding are your options... but heck.. you should be able to just follow the instructions on your new bottom paint label for apply it over existing painted surface.
The paint is VC-17 which is a freshwater only paint. One of its virtues is no buildup to speak of and it leaves a very slick surface. It changes color to that dark brownish black color in the water.

Diluted muriatic acid will also clean it up. Wear PPE, especially eye protection and have lots of water to rinse it.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Wow! Thank you for the overwhelming number of responses! I can scrape it off with a fingernail so I'll try some brillo pads before resorting to acid

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I read that subject heading and I had a flash back to when my wife handed me our baby girl and said "I think she has a dirty bottom".... OH she did. And you could smell it at arms length....

Not Brillo Pads but Scotch Brite Pads. There is a major difference. Brillo pads will leave little bits of metal behind to rust on your pretty bottom...

You can get scotch brite pads in different abrasive levels. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...0644+8710812+8710964+8711017+3294857497&rt=r3

You can even get them with a handle to protect your fingers. Scotch-Brite™ Hand Pad Trial Pack 961S
1591121209721.png

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Scotch pads is what I picked up. I had the two names mixed up. I'll give them a try tomorrow. Too many crazy rioters out after dark. We're seeing cop cars lit on fire, stores totally burnt out and broken windows all over the place

Oct 22, 2014
Anarchy in the streets...

Must not be Sailors. Sailors would be in their bunks awaiting day break to go out and have some fun.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
You should not clean that bottom with water unless you got the use of the yard containment system. If you dont collect the paint-contaminated runoff, your yard staff may be upset, and any passing EPA inspector will want you name for the $5,000 fine. Better to use a rotary sander with a vac attachment.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
You should not clean that bottom with water unless you got the use of the yard containment system. If you dont collect the paint-contaminated runoff, your yard staff may be upset, and any passing EPA inspector will want you name for the $5,000 fine. Better to use a rotary sander with a vac attachment.
So bottom paint is ok when its contaminating a body of water but not when a small amount of water is ran over it on land?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
So bottom paint is ok when its contaminating a body of water but not when a small amount of water is ran over it on land?
Sort of defies logic, until you think about it. In the water the bottom paint is diluted over a large area. On land it is very concentrated beneath your boat.

EPA classifies bottom paint as a pesticide, which it is because it kills animal and plant life.

Oct 22, 2014
By this logic the EPA should be all over yards power washing boats at the end of the season
They Are. And they make sure the yard captures the effluent in a separate basin for proper disposal.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
john, dave, of course you are correct on what should be. i have seen no such restrictions at the yards i visit on the great lakes (toledo and sturge). all the many yards around are the same. it's old school wash it all in the bay. my boat yard is 300 yards from the DNR. the coast guard hauls out there and has the same wash off as every one else. nothing is said.
i do not see any color on the ground from my scrubbing off the dirt by hand. ( does not mean there ain't )
i do see allot of blue and or red during haulout season near the hoist. all washed into the bay.
prolly not good.
that copper stuff back in the sixties would kill you right alway if you sanded it and did not wear a mask.