Lifting h26 with a sling

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
The H26 being a water ballast boat, I'm wondering if it is okay to lift the boat off the trailer with a sling.

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 26 Lake Pueblo Colorado
I have seen it done when replacing the keel line, but hopefully Dave C will describe the correct way to do it

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I've seen plenty of pictures of 260's and 26's on stands, I suppose they must have used a sling to put the boat up on the stands. But I sure would like to know if there is any special precautions for this boat.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
One like this at my local boat yard, except I think it has only two slings. I want to get the boat off the trailer to paint the bottom of the boat.

Attachments

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
If it isn't capable of being hung from the slings, I sure as heck wouldn't want to sail in it.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
My H260 has sling points indicated on the hull. Crazy Dave has been out hiking this weekend. You might want to send him a private message. The rule of thumb seems to be to sling it or support it at the strong points which seem to be where the bulkheads are.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
My H260 has sling points indicated on the hull. Crazy Dave has been out hiking this weekend. You might want to send him a private message. The rule of thumb seems to be to sling it or support it at the strong points which seem to be where the bulkheads are.
Kermit,
Where are the bulkheads on a 260 or 26?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Got back from hiking the Appalachian Trail and to Mt. Rogers, highest mt. in VA and great in many places, no cell phone coverage. The photo of the travel lift and those wide slings are just fine actually great. Look under the rub rail and you should note sling marks on the hull just underneath. Suggest four stands each side with one on the bow. Make sure you thump the hull to find the thickest portion to put the stands underneath and carpet the wood. Make sure the stands from side to side are chained or roped together to prevent them from kicking out. Insist on the slings they are tied together on each side as mine on my travel lift had a tendenacy to move or come off. Just some good advice.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Sounds like good advice Dave - Thanks!
Also, sounds like you had a nice hiking trip!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
sure did in the nick of time since it is now pouring rain. Once I had a fellow challenge me about the wonderful sights seen from the highest point in Virginia. I advised the top of that mountain was logged in the early 1900's and it is now a miniature rain forest up there which there are no viewsl He advised about the highest point set in stone with a marker. I told him the next time when he hiked there to look over his shoulder about two hundred feet away and there was an outcrop of rocks higher with another survey disc in it with #1 in it.

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 260 Palm Coast, FL
DSC06845 - Sling.JPG
DSC06933.JPG
Doug J,
Hope not be too late with a few pictures. I am sure it was mentioned to drain the ballast tank before lifting. My boat has marks where the slings should be placed. That are stickers, not sure if it was done by factory or the PO. Good to have the marks to avoid confusion at a marina and people not firm with the boat.
Hart

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
View attachment 116910 View attachment 116911 Doug J,
Hope not be too late with a few pictures. I am sure it was mentioned to drain the ballast tank before lifting. My boat has marks where the slings should be placed. That are stickers, not sure if it was done by factory or the PO. Good to have the marks to avoid confusion at a marina and people not firm with the boat.
Hart
Hart,
Nope not too late, I may not get to this until after March now. I'm glad you posted the pictures, I don't see any marks on my hull. I can use your pics as reference. Looks like the front one is just in front of the leading edge of the centerboard, which I was thinking would be a strong point. When I get around to getting the bottom re-painted, I will put some temporary stickers on to help the guys in the yard - good idea!

I had a 91' Macgregor 26S, there are do's and don'ts when lifting that boat and wasn't sure if the H26 and 260 had similar precautions.

Doug

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 260 Palm Coast, FL
Doug,
You are right with the front sling position. Here one more picture to see better where the locations to position the sling are marked. The sticker to the right is above and between the E and R of the Hunter decal located. The second picture shows the "sling" sticker. Hope that helps.
Hart
DSC06891 - sling.JPG
DSC06817.JPG

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Yes, that is a big help. I will save these pics for future reference.

Thanks!!!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I would be very careful about block supports under the hull as it can and will push the hull inwards which can damage the boatl.

Mar 28, 2019
Hunter 26 Westport
Hello,
I am looking to purchase a portable sling to remove my H26 from its trailer. I was thinking of the gohoist (gohoist.com). Does anyone know the pros and cons of this lift? Also, would it be suitable lifting a H26?
Thanks, Jason

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Knowing the construction of the boat you need to look at where the slings would go as noted in a response above. The width of the slings are not wide enough in the video seen and suggest 6 inch. I would also tie the straps together so they will not slip out as the bow and stern curve upwards so they will not slip out. I did not see the bottom of those leg stands secure to the legs on opposite side of boat and there is potential of kicking out

Mar 28, 2019
Hunter 26 Westport
Dave, thanks for the info. The legs are tied together by a chain. Is there another manufacturer or another way of lifting the boat off the trailer that would work better?
Thanks, Jason

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If considering that system make sure the system can lift up safely in excess of 3000 pounds which is the weight of the boat
Less water ballasts