Hurricane Michael

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My father's step father invented this
to help hurricane victims in Florida. Most deaths were avoidable if help was able to get there in time. People living among the mangroves couldn't be reached.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 7, 2018
Chrysler C-22 Battle Creek
Well, in exchange, we get to sail all year. You guys, however, get to put your boat away for six months and break out the snow blower. Jus' sayin'. :)
Fair enough. The older I get, the less I can tolerate the cold. I can still handle it right down to 25-30 degrees fahrenheit no problem. When it starts going single digits....thats cold, and below zero.....forget it.
Still I like the fresh water, seasonal changes and dont have to worry about the weather destroying my house or boat overnight.
My hats are off to you guys, but I still know how you do it.
I wish you and yours all the best, and stay safe down there!!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My father's step father invented this
to help hurricane victims in Florida. Most deaths were avoidable if help was able to get there in time. People living among the mangroves couldn't be reached.
That's neat Will. They made the Humvee into a street-legal vehicle, so will we being seeing this in the dealer's showrooms anytime soon ???

Sep 7, 2018
Chrysler C-22 Battle Creek
The UP will be getting snow by the weekend.
Possible.....but I doubt it. Even if they do its unlikely it will last more than a day. The ground isnt even frozen yet!
I remember some crazy deep snow from when I was a kid, but we rarely get any "real" accumulation anymore. I am in the lower peninsula, and I only cleared the driveway a handful of times all last winter.
I am hoping to take my boat out once or twice more and then use the off season to do a little work making some upgrades\improvements. Not sure I will make it sailing though, because I am having an issue with a wheel bearing on my truck, that I am afraid is going to turn into new hub assembly, new ball joints, new brakes, new tie rod ends, new steering knuckles, etc All on account of I cannot dismantle the hub assembly from the steering knuckle because it is just rusted\seized together.
Again,I know, all part of being in the Great White North. 2WD trucks here are worthless.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
WHEW! That was close. Three high tides almost to my house before going out. I feel for those in the panhandle. Hurricane made landfall just east of Panama City about an hour or so ago packing 155 mph winds. There are no words to describe the destruction. Catastrophic doesn't even come close. Hearts and prayers go out to those affected. But only for the grace of God go I.

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
It was and is moving fast, so not as much surge.
Jim...

PS: Hurricane Hunter flight 15 was turned around in mid flight.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
It was and is moving fast, so not as much surge.
Jim...

PS: Hurricane Hunter flight 15 was turned around in mid flight.
That's the only thing that saved us. I've been flooded by tropical storms that were moving slowly.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Michael is the strongest hurricane to ever hit Florida's panhandle. According to an article published by CNN: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/10/10/us/hurricane-michael-dangers/index.html, the winds will devistate houses built before the more stringent building codes enacted since Andrew in '92. Michael's speed and power will sustain her status as a hurricane well into Georgia. I have friends in Tallahassee who have evacuated to central Florida.
I hope property damage is the worst that comes out of this.
Storm surge, according to the report, accounts for 50% of loss of life. Houses all along Big Bend are up on stilts, but not as much on the panhandle. 14' will overwhelm most stilt houses too.

-Will (Dragonfly)

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Just on a destruction force basis
Wind and Rain is low when compared to the MASS of a Water wave.

Rising water is damage, but normally does not knock down buildings.

Coastal home design is now per FEMA in my post #18.
It took me 22 hours of pure engineering grind to perform the Velocity Zone calculations per FEMA.
Also they had "apps" to help.

Hurricane Andrew set the basis of the work.

Not only did structures have to be

HELD UP [ resist gravity]

but they also had to be..

HELD DOWN [wind lift]

Plus the HOLD DOWNs had to have WAVE SHIELDS.

Next your structure cannot have a wind profile or shape to "Tip it over"

A square shape home with low roof profile is the best.
Jim...

Last edited:

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Not square, but heavy.
Well not really.
I was asked to design and Hurricane "proof" home.[true story]

I started with a "ships hull" design to "plow a wave" or wind [shape]. Then a concrete bunker [heavy].
Then the foundation came into play [wave direction].
Then elevation [flood]
I did finally arrive at best design for Hurricane Proof home sitting on a pier.
iur.jpeg
Jim...

PS: Two homes that were "bunkers" and hurricane Proof were totally destroyed by Katrina. One was round and one was rectangular.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It's one thing to design a house to withstand hurricane winds and driving rain and waves and surge. It's a whole different thing to design a house to withstand a tree being buried at it at 50+ miles per hour.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Just saw on the weather channel a train at least 3/10 of a mile long was blown sideways off the track. I assume it was standing still. Trucks are still on the tracks of those 60,000 pound cars.