Ship station license... MMSI. Just want to confirm requirements.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
Just installed a new DSC/GPS VHF.

It has an emergency button that sends out ship ID and GPS location. The ship ID is based on your MMSI, if I understand that all correctly.

Boat US will do the MMSI... until you tell them that you may use the system outside US waters. I intend to use it in Canadian waters. Now it looks like I have apply to the FCC for a Ship Station license, using form 605 and schedule b. Does this all sound about right to those of you that have done this?

I already have a ham license... I wonder if any of that might apply in this case?
It looks like all the answers are here on the FCC page... https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/guideshelp/fcc-form-605

But if any of you have any hints/suggestions/etc... please chime in.

Thanks

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
@genec the FCC route is pretty painless. Just went through this last March. All on line, less than 24 hours until I had the license. Good for 10 years. Cost $230.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Wow, $230... I think my ham license was something like $15. Of course I have not renewed it in nearly 8 years. I think the VHF cost less than that. :(

I wonder if the cost of vessel documentation is going to go up too.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
As Kappy notes the SHIPS licence is US$230. Covers the boat transmitting. Then you need your restricted operators radiotelephone licence. Thats like US$60 but its good forever.

PS the personal licence is a good thing to have if you ever sail/charter outside the USA.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
What would happen if you just didn't get the license?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I just went through this as well registered with the FCC, wasn't much to it. I thought the filing fee was more like $75, I will have to look up the transaction when I get home later.

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
So an interesting aside to this is that the MMSI # that boaters get from Boat US is not recognized outside of US waters, as genec stated. This is problematic if you wish to install an AIS transceiver and plan to use it in international waters...Canadian waters included. The MMSI # needs to be issued by the FCC/USCG.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
So an interesting aside to this is that the MMSI # that boaters get from Boat US is not recognized outside of US waters, as genec stated. This is problematic if you wish to install an AIS transceiver and plan to use it in international waters...Canadian waters included. The MMSI # needs to be issued by the FCC/USCG.
Yes, this is exactly why I did register through the FCC as I am often in Canadian waters and do have a AIS transceiver.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
What would happen if you just didn't get the license?
Maybe nothing, maybe get your boat impounded.

International agreements require radio operators and radio stations to have licenses. If you don't have a license and operate a radio in a foreign country you can face what ever penalties that country imposes. Now the likelihood of any one actually getting caught and charged is pretty low, however, no one is going to come to your defense if you don't have a license and do get caught.

It is a whole lot easier to just get the licenses and be done with it, unless you never intend to sail in foreign waters.

While the upfront costs seem high, the $230 is only $23 a year, what's that? A case of beer?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I just renewed my Ships License for another 10 years... I was shocked to be asked for $220.00 (two items).
Below is the question & answer from the FCC:
I'm trying to renew my Ship License.

My Question to the FCC "Help" Site:
I'm trying to renew my Ship License.
Why is there a charge in the "Fee Calculator" beyond the $70 for the renewal.
I think a PASR applies because I don't have a "Fleet"?​

FCC's Answer to my question:
**Please do not reply back to this message. The e-mail address is configured for outgoing e-mail only.**

Dear [Me, oh cheap Me]:

The total fee for a Ship Station License renewal is $220.00. The FCC system breaks it up into two fee codes: PASM for the application fee ($70) and PASR for the regulatory fee ($150). Ship licensees must pay the regulatory fees at time of renewal.

If you have any further questions, or need additional information, please submit a help request at https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/available-support-services or call the FCC Licensing Support Center at (877) 480-3201.

Sincerely,
FCC Licensing Support Center
8:00 AM – 6:00 PM EST, M - F​

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
It's just a damn tax, that's what irks me! There's no training or test, no inspection of your equipment, no change to anything, whatsoever, except paying a fee and getting a license. No utility at all.

Note that you aren't required to get a license to use your cell phone in a foreign country, even though that's a radio transmitter.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
They used to provide the service for a nominal fee in order to get a license. Now, they got the opportunity to offset some of the costs and allocate them to "Users" (that presumably benefit).

If you're not going overseas, you don't need to pay the fee or have a license -- however, if you do go overseas, depending on where you are and what interest some authority might have, you are obligated to have a license.

Yes you can, with a cell phone or getting on the Internet, be a pretty accomplished spy or miscreant -- but if you get tagged by a foreign entity without a licensed radio as a foreign national... Certainly DON'T GO TO CUBA :^))) without a license.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If you're not going overseas, you don't need to pay the fee or have a license -- however, if you do go overseas, depending on where you are and what interest some authority might have, you are obligated to have a license.

Yes you can, with a cell phone or getting on the Internet, be a pretty accomplished spy or miscreant -- but if you get tagged by a foreign entity without a licensed radio as a foreign national... Certainly DON'T GO TO CUBA :^))) without a license.
Very true. Many place in the Med will get cranky if you don't have a radio permit. Try chartering in Croatia without one.

Re cell phones - Marine Radios operate in the international VHF bandwidth; 156 to 174 MHz, inclusive. This spectrum is reserved for marine radio but licensing varies by country. Cell phone spectrum has pretty much been granted worldwide licence-free use status.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Why is a license $220? Why not $5? Because of political patronage jobs, that's why. It's a tax and a scam, and it's a shame.

The cost of administering something that could easily be done with a simple web page form could hardly amount to the money collected for this.

Curious, what do Canadians have to pay for such a license? Other foreigners?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
From what I know Canadians must take a week long course, do a written test then pay for a license. I don't imagine they are giving away a week long course either.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Maybe nothing, maybe get your boat impounded.

International agreements require radio operators and radio stations to have licenses. If you don't have a license and operate a radio in a foreign country you can face what ever penalties that country imposes. Now the likelihood of any one actually getting caught and charged is pretty low, however, no one is going to come to your defense if you don't have a license and do get caught.

It is a whole lot easier to just get the licenses and be done with it, unless you never intend to sail in foreign waters.

While the upfront costs seem high, the $230 is only $23 a year, what's that? A case of beer?
Yeah, I started to think about that cost and realized that indeed it is even less than the annual documentation cost... so really, no big deal.

And no, I like really good beer... $26 a case... GRIN

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
And no, I like really good beer... $26 a case... GRIN
Beer snob!

But seriously: Harpoon IPA, 24 bottle loose case, $21 at BJ's Wholesale Club. I like good beer, too, and I make beer, and I think Harpoon is pretty good!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Why is a license $220? Why not $5? Because of political patronage jobs, that's why. It's a tax and a scam, and it's a shame.

The cost of administering something that could easily be done with a simple web page form could hardly amount to the money collected for this.
The fee is consistent with what I pay for USCG Documentation each year and consistent with annualized registration fee I pay NY each year.

It's just a damn tax, that's what irks me! There's no training or test, no inspection of your equipment, no change to anything, whatsoever, except paying a fee and getting a license. No utility at all.
If you choose to only sail in US waters, then the licenses are not necessary. This wasn't true 30 years ago. However, if you choose to sail outside of US waters then you must abide by the laws and regulations of the host country. That's the way international relations work.

FWIW, Canada has similar rules about radio licenses that the US does. If you don't sail outside of Canadian waters, then no license is necessary.